When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ebel 1911 BTR Chronograph Review

takashi

Preface

This week's style of review is going to be different. First and foremost, I would like to start with serving you with Eyecandy ;) Next, I will write a little bit of history about the brand and the (genuine) watch in particular and then we will go into all the dirty bits and bolts on another day :). This week review will be on ebel 1911 BTR Chronograph.

Eyecandy

P6092673.jpg

P6092696.jpg

P6092702.jpg

P6092717.jpg

P6092728.jpg

P6092740.jpg

P6092752.jpg

P6092761.jpg

P6092764.jpg

P6092770.jpg

P6092778.jpg

P6092790.jpg

P6092793.jpg

P6092800.jpg

P6092806.jpg

This review is dedicated to my friend By-Tor who has long been a fan of Ebel watches, 1911 BTR Chrono in particular. A special thanks to SD4K who has helped me a lot with providing me reading materials.

About the Brand

Quoted from Watchtime, April 2007:

Founded in 1911, and family-owned for many years, Ebel made its name as a manufacturer of elegant wristwatches. When Pierre-Alain Blum, the grandson of the firm’s founder, launched the Sport Classic line in 1977, a new era began. The watches in the line featured unconventional, hexagonal, rounded, satin-finished cases and polished bezels held in place by five screws. In ensuing years, the Sport Classic acquired the status of a design icon. It became so important for Ebel that it was later renamed “1911” in tribute to the year of the brand’s founding. Ebel introduced the first chronographs with this now-familiar

case in 1982, initially powered by Zenith’s El Primero caliber. In 1994, one year prior to the introduction of the exclusive

Caliber 137 in the Modulor 1911 watch, Blum was forced to sell the business to the Investcorp holding company. Ebel came

under the aegis of the luxury group LVMH (Mo

• Like 1

It's a different, very distinctive design, and all the parts are integrated so beautifully - the bracelet has elements of the case and vice versa.

Makes the HBB look like it's made of leftover parts.

Thanks Taka, for the superb photos, I'm drooling.

It's a different, very distinctive design, and all the parts are integrated so beautifully - the bracelet has elements of the case and vice versa.

Makes the HBB look like it's made of leftover parts.

Thanks Taka, for the superb photos, I'm drooling.

I like it too, but the date looks a too much recessed. Could be the pic.

Talked to Joshua recently, and he said there's a TT version coming. Hopefully it'll be available with white dial.

I'm waiting, I'm waiting... I want that watch.

The white dial stainless version is out already. Rather nice if you ask me.

2.jpg

Excellent writeup Taka. Glad to hear the watch is nicely done (technically too).

I'll await for the white TT version... but if it never comes out, I'll go for this same one.

Thanks a lot for the pointer Jot. I have seen the Ti + Carbon dial in person, it does have cut subdial too (does not look like on your picture).

If that's the case, there may be a transitional period where they don't use cal 137? Because definitely this movement has smaller subdial spacing.

EDIT: I am sorry... It is indeed using cal 137 just that the bigger subdial is smaller this time round therefore no cut. You can check that the subdial spacing is still wrong (compare it between 3 and 6 o'clock subdial. The spacing is definitely bigger on the rep).

IMHO the sunken date is not really a big issue on modified Asian 7750 (yes, it's still an issue). It's more of the subdial spacing and the movement itself in particular for this piece. Even then, the rep is so well made that it makes me think that it's a worthy rep watch to buy/to own.

You have to handle this piece and try it on, it feels solid and screams quality.

Some additional pics I found from Ioffer. Not as good as Taka's pics but I can't get enough of them. :)

All subdial spacings aside... this really screams a quality watch.

1215619_a3.jpg

1215619_a8.jpg

1215619_a9.jpg

1215619_a10.jpg

1215619_a11.jpg

1215619_a12.jpg