When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"diamonds" Or No "diamonds"

Antonio

Bought two reps from Joshua so far, waiting on #2. They're so incredibly nice. About to buy my wife a DJ rep, but want to hear thoughts on the quality of the stones used in reps vs real diamonds. I am not concerned about jewelers, just want to know if they're good enough for the casual observer?

Bought two reps from Joshua so far, waiting on #2. They're so incredibly nice. About to buy my wife a DJ rep, but want to hear thoughts on the quality of the stones used in reps vs real diamonds. I am not concerned about jewelers, just want to know if they're good enough for the casual observer?

If ya don't over do it you shoud be fine. Especially on a female watch since it's smaller.....

I had a Ralex From rive with a diamond bezel and loved it... I had to sell it off after my wife kept making fun of me though... She's not into the "Pimp" thing.. :(

The zircon is not easily recognizable from the diamond.

Only chemical analysis determines the difference.

The human eye doesn't notice the difference among a cut diamond and a cut zircon.

Only chemical knows how to distinguish what the diamond is and what the zircon is.

Zircon

80012-30597.jpg

Diamonds

80012-30598.jpg

The good replicas use however Cubic_zirconia CZ.

It's a rare mineral for this it's artificially produced : zirconium oxide (ZrO2).

from wikipedia

"Cubic zirconia is so optically close to diamond that only a trained eye can easily differentiate the two. There are a few key features of CZ which distinguish it from diamond, some observable only under the microscope or loupe. For example: Dispersion. With a dispersive power greater than diamond (0.060 vs. 0.044) the more prismatic fire of CZ can be seen by even an untrained eye. Hardness. CZ has an 8.3 on the Mohs' hardness scale vs. a rating of 10 for diamonds. Specific gravity. CZs are heavyweights in comparison to diamonds; a CZ will weigh about 1.7 times more than a diamond of equivalent size. Obviously, this difference is only useful when examining loose stones. Flaws. Contemporary production of cubic zirconia is virtually flawless, whereas most diamonds have some sort of defect, be it a feather, included crystal, or perhaps a remnant of an original crystal face (e.g. trigons). Refractive index. CZ has a refractive index of 2.176, compared to a diamond's 2.417. Cut. Under close inspection with a loupe, the facet shapes of some CZs appear different from diamonds. In theory, many gems (such as CZs and diamonds) look best when the star facet, crown main facets, and upper girdle facets do not quite meet. (Per Step 11 of editor's note 36 to Marcel Tolkowsky's Diamond Design.) Diamond has such a high refractive index that having these facets meet at a single point does not cause much loss of fire or reflection. Diamonds normally have these facets meet at a point, because that is more symmetrical and reflects well on the cutter's precision. On the other hand, CZ has a considerably lower refractive index than diamond. CZs are often cut with 6-sided crown main facets, so that the star facets do not touch the upper girdle facets. This optimizes the brilliance and fire of the CZs. The optimum angle of the main crown facets is steeper for diamond than for CZ. (According to Tolkowsky's model of the crown, for a given pavilion angle and girdle thickness). CZs are often cut so that the crown main facets do not touch the girdle. This allows the CZs to have a shallower crown angle, while still having the same crown height as a diamond with a similar cut. Color. More precisely, the lack of color: Only the rarest of diamonds are truly colorless, most having a tinge of yellow or brown to some extent. By comparison, CZ can be made entirely colorless: equivalent to a perfect "D" on diamond's color grading scale. Thermal conductivity. CZs are thermal insulators whilst diamonds are among the most efficient thermal conductors, exceeding copper. This makes telling the difference between diamond and CZ quite easy for those with the right tools.

for more info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zircon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubic_zirconia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond

For me "Cubic zirconia is so optically close to diamond that only a trained eye can easily differentiate the two" is means that the people won't distinguish the replica from the original.

I have bought from Precious Time two ladydiamonds replicas... stupendous... .

80012-30599.jpg

80012-30600.jpg

Edited by MAHLER

Nice collection! however.. In my fair opinion the diamond rollie screams fake.

I've looked at hundreds of real rollies with diamonds. and the real ones sparkle.. the fakes just don't do it justice. Maybe I'm being critical.

If you like it .. wear it! enjoy it. Just my fair opinion..

I've looked at hundreds of real rollies with diamonds. and the real ones sparkle.. the fakes just don't do it justice. Maybe I'm being critical.

The CZs used in my Masterpiece from Josh are virtually indistinguishable from the real diamonds on a real Pearlmaster. The stones are just too small to tell the difference.

Larger stones are easier to spot...there are visual differences between CZ, diamond and moissanite (another diamond imitator) that are distinguishable to a trained eye. Although, with the colored CZs and the diamond-like coated CZs these days, it is getting harder and harder to tell the difference!

80061-30588.jpg

I think this is one of those instances where the dress and general appearance of the wearer will determine whether a rep with fake stones is credible. If a woman or man looks as if he or she could afford the real thing -- or if he or she is a rapper, jock, or hanger on to a rapper or jock -- then he or she probably won't be questioned. On the other hand, if he or she looks as if WalMart is high-end shopping for him or her, then I'd assume the stones are cubic even if they are real.

you must be looking at watches with glass or plastic stones. it is impossiable to see the difference with your eye a good cz from a diamond. if seeing a rollie on the rocks screems fake thats either a crappy rep or your knowing about reps. a good cz will reflect light better than a diamond because they are 100%clean and diamonds are not. i've have held a solid platinum day date in my hand before that was completely encrusted with diamonds band and all, even the hands were covered with diamond chips and you couldn't even tell time with it. it was a peice of jewlery instead of a watch. it appraised fo $92,000.00 and trust me, nothing about it screemed fake, it screemed money and lots of it.

Thanks but I have a small experience to tell.

my girl that loves the sunglasses has spent the beauty of 200 euro

for a sunglasses of Cristian Dior with Swarosky now according to you

it's better the glasses or it's better the CZ... who screams more fake ?

Are you passed in jewelry lately?

A lot of productions with yellow gold and pink uses CZ for the beauty of 1000 euro...

who screams ?

general appearance of the wearer will determine whether a rep with fake stones is credible...

This is for me the right attitude

Thanks for posting mor pics.. You are changing my mind.

Your new pics do the watch more justice. If my wife would wear it I'd buy it.. But like someone said.. "You can't make 100k and wear that watch, you need to make some serious cash!!" I only drive a Lexus .. not a Maybach!! or Bentley!

Nice watch.. Don't get mugged..

Please note that Zircons are not Cubic zirconia. Zircons hare a natural stone in a beautiful hue of colors. The cubic zirconia that is used in jewelry and does not share the same atomic structure as Zircons. Also a simple diamond tester can tell the difference as well as most jewelers including myself.

Cubic zirconia does occur naturley but it is extemely rare.

Please note that Zircons are not Cubic zirconia.

In fact has been clarified here

The good replicas use however Cubic_zirconia CZ.

It's a rare mineral for this it's artificially produced : zirconium oxide (ZrO2).

for more info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zircon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubic_zirconia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond

Also a simple diamond tester can tell the difference as well as most jewelers including myself.

Differences are not easy noticed when CZ is wears then what counts is the general aspect of wearer.

Edited by MAHLER