When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ziggy

msparkuhl

Quick answer: You dont.

I am new here also. It takes quite a long time of educating yourself by reading, looking and lots of watching (no pun intended). The purpose-- see what you can and cant do yourself. Obviously there are people on this forum that are masters at their craft.... As near as I can figure, it requires a signifigant investment in time and effort in building relationships in the forum. Once that has been achieved, artisians (The Zigmeister for example) become more and more available... especially if they see what you have tried, what questions you ask etc... I guess you can send out an all out page to him, but frankly I doubt that you get much a response-- I dont blame him or you, but I am sure that he has been hit before by new guys wanting the best of the best of the best when they are still struggling to learn how to take the casebacks off their timex... Especially when a long time friend has a special project that would really benifit from his talents needs help. I don't want to put words in anybodys mouth (esp. not The Zigmeister), but this is what I have observed in my short time here.

Good luck, read lots, look at lots and most of all, have fun!

Welcome to the Forum

-K

^ Good answer.

Indeed...well done young padawan.

It's not that people are trying to be elitist or exclusionary...it's just that this is a funny hobby/passion that has legal and illegal sides to it resulting in something that you can't just walk into a shopping mall and expect top notch service, with consumer protection from the State in case something goes wrong. Too often, there are fly-by-night users who simply want one watch (usually a Submariner)...post a question without doing any research or reading...get a couple responses that may nudge them in the right way like Adrenalin has said...and get ticked off and start a flame war.

I'm still pretty Noob in all this...not as Noob as some...but Noober than others. I've tried to follow my old edict from the pre-GUI forum internet days of considering that the Internet is not 'FREE'...it costs in sweat equity...contribute back to the forums more than the information you glean, and a better community is created for everyone.

I've tried to help those whenever I've could...taken the time to post reviews, photos, etc to share my knowledge and research as others have shared theirs with me...and in doing so...exactly like Adrenalin has said...over time, relationships have been built and other forum members have bent over backwards and gone well out of their way to help me...even when I have not asked it...The Zigmeister certainly being one of them...and there are so many uber and senior others out there who have done the same I can't name them all. You'll hear stories of (and hopefully in time experience) people sending watches, parts and service gratis as their ways of saying thank you...you'll see people donating large LARGE items to the board to support it...it's that kind of community.

With a lot of these craftsmen, they do the work for a hobby...for passion and certainly not for money. Too often they do work only to have simple complaints turn into reputation slamming and slandering in public vs. sorting things out in private like civil folk, or simply don't even get a thank you for information or service received.

Time is valuable and these folk know they can engage in their hobby quite comfortably with existing client bases who they know with mutual respect...so they don't advertise or publicize for new clients.

So what do you have to do to get these doors open? Remember...this is a hobby...not life saving...so don't moan and whine too much if things don't go your way. Spend only what you can and remember to have fun.

Contribute contribute contribute...either upgrade your membership if you have the money...it doesn't cost much...and helps keep the board running...or if you can't contribute money...contribute time and effort in posts back to the board.

And...most of all...remember to have respect for others...and say "THANK YOU". This beyond all else, has really probably done the most!! No joke.

Again...welcome and have fun.

Can you tell this is a hot topic for me...having just been a beneficiary of a couple senior forum folks (The Zigmeister being one) who have again, gone out of their way to help me. I say thank you by posting reviews like my Toad's Review of the Omega SMP Chrono...others in turn say thanks back by pinning the piece or extending my Platinum upgrade beyond what I've paid...I say thank you to that by posting long responses like this one...etc, etc...

A lot of back scratching goes on here. :)

The Zigmeister has decided that after many years of supporting us to take a step back and limit his activities. Contrary to popular belief, he is not a full time watchsmith. He has a full time job with responsibilities like the rest of us. He has a limited list of people he now prefers to deal with and he alone determines who makes that list. A good example of why this came about is aftermarket DW's. Most of them DO NOT line up correctly and The Zigmeister gets blamed for that. Well he didn't make the DW nor the watch. He no longer accepts aftermarket DW's.

There are other modders around that offer similar services.

What else can I say, thanks everyone for stepping in and commenting on my behalf.

Yes indeed, building a relationship is important for me. Unfortunatly, during the past 6 months the ratio of new members who have stood me up and wasted a lot of my time has become unaceptable. Which is why I only work with existing customers or new customers who are recommended through existing ones.

As already mentioned watchsmithing is a hobby for me, and part time one at that.

So you can find me, it's just not a matter of sending me a message and expecting me to open the door...

RG

What else can I say, thanks everyone for stepping in and commenting on my behalf.

Yes indeed, building a relationship is important for me. Unfortunatly, during the past 6 months the ratio of new members who have stood me up and wasted a lot of my time has become unaceptable. Which is why I only work with existing customers or new customers who are recommended through existing ones.

As already mentioned watchsmithing is a hobby for me, and part time one at that.

So you can find me, it's just not a matter of sending me a message and expecting me to open the door...

RG

Hi. I didn't realize I would stimulate such a seemingly hostile response; I simply saw many references to your work and thought I would contact you. Such is not the case and I am sorry if I offended anyone. Just to put folks at ease, I have done a lot of 'homework' over the past 6-7 months, reading numerous comments on this blog as well as educating myself about watches in general and replicas in particular by books, publications, repair manuals, and catalogues. I have about 5 TT's now, two of marginal reliability and three going just fine from an aesthetic and functional standpoint.

I have a pretty good understanding of things at this time and remain very interested in what's happening in China. I think the rep watch world is fascinating at many levels, am impressed with the quality of what can be produced for consumers for $200.00, but fret about issues of quality control, business shennigans, subterfuge, and downright dishonesty. I am encouraged to see Asia movements (esp. A7750 Valjoux) are getting a good rating by some of RWG members and hope we continue to see progress in newer and more reliable Asian movements.

Sincerely,

MSparkuhl

msparkuhl@aol.com

I don't think anyone meant to come off snarky or hostile either in this thread...or at least in the PM I sent you. The fact of the matter is, there are many people on the board who do "mods"...but very few who can really work on movements.

The rarity of having somebody with The Zigmeister's expertise in watchmaking who is equally versed in Asian reps is rarity on a whole new level...and is a golden resource that those who have had the privilege of working with him are fierce in protecting.

When you start reading some of the past threads on this board, you will find that there have been times in the past that The Zigmeister has had to claw back his involvement in the board, and working with members because of extremely bad experiences he has had with some clients...time wasting...reputation slamming, etc. Nobody's trying to lump you together with some of the other folks as nobody has had a chance to get to know you on this board...we're just explaining the situation as it is.

So...don't feel turned off by any sense of hostility...not intended at all...we're just a little protective.

Stick around on the board...contribute...engage...have fun...and eventually you'll be able to find the services you need. As to recommendations for others who can work on the watches...really, the best bet is often to go through a yellow pages in your local area and calling folks to see if they would be willing to work on the reps. Unfortunately, there aren't that many people who can work on complex movements like the gen Valjoux 7750's...and fewer who understand the idiosyncracies with the A7750...and even fewer who can source parts to repair them...so it is a risk we all take with the rep game.

Looking forward to seeing more of you around adrenalin. You obviously "get it".

And no offense mspark, but referring to The Zigmeister's response as "hostile" ain't the way to endear yourself to him. ;) I didn't read it as hostile in the least.

I look forward to seeing more of you around too. I'm sure you'll "get it" too very soon. Just read a lot and contribute whenever you can and you'll start to build relationships yourself.

Good luck and welcome to you both.

Funny... every time I walk into any service joint I see a red sign that reads... "we refuse the right to refuse service to anyone". A business transaction involves two parties. Usually both parties have to agree to DO business or it's just called a plain old JACK.

Glad to see you around some more after the eye incident The Zigmeister.