When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dollar getting stronger and the

Tomhighway

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about time the dollar gained ground over the Euro. Not for Europeans of course,but it makes my visits to Finland

a little easier

Yeah, you guys across the pond have got to give us American pikers a chance to get the best of it for a while, albiet short lived. No doubt my long term view of the EUR/USD cross is still bullish (meaning the dollar hasn't got a chance - too much cheap money sloshing around the universe for too long...)

Completely agree with you TomH - all purchases on hold for a while!

I work for a Tier 1 IT manufacturer and as we buy in components etc in USD but sell in GBP for the first time ever prices are going up after decades of an average year on year 10% price drop. Customers can't believe it!

Many predict GBP:USD will hit 1.0:1.4 once Obama is in office which will play havoc with my sales and buying anything in USD!!

It should be interesting to see what happens with rep prices.

I remember when the dollar took a nose dive and rep prices suddenly shot up with most dealers trying to justify it due to the weak dollar. Will we see a drop in rep prices because of the stronger dollar? I doubt it somehow <_<

I feel for the EU guys, but the prices never let off for our failing dollar. But fear not as this is a mere political mechanism to gain popularity among those who don't trust this new guy in the captain's chair (my self included). Point being that the euro and british pound will go back to the top in short time.

The economy might be a "mess" but it's the result of actions in the financial industry and the resulting panic....there are many, many companies whose stocks are falling simply because consumers don't have confidence in much of anything right now... regardless, the US economy is still fundamentally strong and I think we're going to see a lot of these losses reverse themselves as consumer and investor confidence increase... about a year ago I was out to dinner with some European friends and their business associates... one of them actually laughed in my face and told me that stupid Americans had doomed the US economy and that I should consider transferring my assets to Europe and purchasing Euros... I sent him a polite email a few weeks ago inquiring as to how the bank he works for in the EU is doing right now... It's very easy to criticize US corporations for this current situations but at the same time, EU banks and corporations were purchasing and issuing some very risky derivatives and were wayyy over leveraged... another reason that the GAAP to IASB standards transition has now been pushed back to something like 2013 (haven't really followed it so not sure that's the year)...

We'll see, things will rebound but- as usual - the economy generally shits the bed much, much faster than it recovers from it <_<

This is how is I understand it. Investors are selling their foreign assets for a big shopping trip in the US. They sell their stocks, sell their Euros, Pounds and whichever major currencies they have (which all are falling) to buy dollars (getting stronger) and buy into several diverse investments from stock to oil and other resources... Stocks are so cheap now it's a golden opportunity, and if you know what you're doing, you can make a ton of money. More demand for the USD results in increasing strength.

This is how is I understand it. Investors are selling their foreign assets for a big shopping trip in the US. They sell their stocks, sell their Euros, Pounds and whichever major currencies they have (which all are falling) to buy dollars (getting stronger) and buy into several diverse investments from stock to oil and other resources... Stocks are so cheap now it's a golden opportunity, and if you know what you're doing, you can make a ton of money. More demand for the USD results in increasing strength.

I think that's pretty well said... I was working on an enterprise valuation for a fortune 1000 company we're looking at and without getting too technical this company's share price was so absurdly low based on its book value and financials that you'd be nuts NOT to buy it...but that's what's happening... people have lost confidence, stocks have tanked, and now people see that the US economy is fundamentally strong and are purchasing instruments to capitalize on the growth everyone thinks we'll see within the next 5 years