When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this a Gen or Rep SMP dial?

craptacular

Purchased a used black SMP dial advertised as gen, with the dealer even speaking of sourcing it from Switzerland.

It arrived, and... I'm not sure about this.

BlackSMPDial.jpg

My initial concerns:

1. The "OMEGA" has a line through the center
  2. The hour markers are lined with metal like a PO dial (I thought these were just white ink lined)
  3. The lume spills a little over the metal hour marker edges in a couple of places

So, is it a gen dial? If so, would it be acceptable to swap out with a new blue-dial SMP rep - as far as having a fairly accurate rep? I've got a black bezel ready to swap in as well.

Any input would be appreciated - thanks!

Looks gen to me.

They actually introduced a new line of 2254 BLack SMPs which have the metal Omega logo and wording, as well as the metal surroundings around the markers. What does it say on the back of the dial?

I can't seem to find any markings on the back of the dial. It's kind of an oxidized-black with an almost honeycomb shaped wear pattern and pockmarks where the posts for the hour markers and logo items attach through.

Sorry, that isn't telling us much. I say its gen because I've seen this dial before, but I can't be sure that the rep guys didn't replicate this though.

I was mainly concerned since I had never seen one with the applied logo lettering with the strikethrough before. I appreciate the info - thanks! :)

Yes...it is gen...just look at the lume on the markers....it should glow like a torch....but its strange about the lume spilling over...it must be an Omega dial reject?

This dial is in the 18kt white gold SMPs with raised bezel markers...similar to the limited edition America's Cup SMP.

Try this,

Put the dial under a bright light for 2mins (right up to the light).

After 2 mins take the dial into a dark room and check the lume.

The lume on my gen is so strong, I can pretty much see where I am walking in the dark if I direct it at the floor. Very bright, and fitting of the term super lume.