When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Legitimate "replicas" on the market?

ingirum

I was reading an "old" (January 2008) issue of GQ magazine (italian edition) and found in the monthly "Catalogo: orologi" (shopping hints, watches) these suggestions marked as "Classic style with IRONY"

TOY WATCH MAVI CERAMIC (submariner copy with "irony", 1150 euros) - www.toy-watch.it

V.I.P. TIME BLACK CARBON (daytona copy with "irony", 178 euros) - www.viptime.it

IKE TOP MASTER (yachtmaster copy with "irony", 140 euros) - www.ikewatch.com

I understand that these brands are selling very ironic variations of these models (strange colors, strange bracelets, strange design on the dial etc) but then they also manufacture and sell some really SERIOUS versions like this:

110a_1.JPG

and since some of these "replicas" without important logos are being sold for THOUSANDS of euros, I was thinking.. geez.. what is the logic in all that? anyone can copy the design provided is not using the logo of the copied item?

I would like to know the opinion of you experienced collectors.. thanks!

2_47869a.jpg

Toy Watch

Toy Watch was launched in Milan in 2006 by the designer Marco Mavilla. The ironic "antiluxury", Day-Glo, lightweight, oversized, plastic creations have since become must-have items and Clive Owen, Johnny Knoxville and Leonardo DiCaprio can be listed among their many fans.

Some hideous designs too

but it may be just a bad photo because they sell that color too

NMY06DG_mh.jpg

the watches are made in "plasteramic" (ceramic looking plastic) and they're often called the "rolex meets swatch" watches.. also in top of Oprah's top wanted list.. one of these models is exactly a militar submariner with olive color strap.. absolutely similar to a regular model.

again I ask myself.. what makes these "replicas" legitimate? the fact that they look like rolex but no logo and no steel?

so then shouldn't be a chinese allowed to sell a plastic replica with ROLLEX logo? this I don't understand.. just maybe because ToyWatch sells these in a very luxurious "Via Montenapoleone" (the italian 5th Avenue) boutique for 1000 euros?

Thats something clive would like very much!

Well I congratulate the PR guy who managed to turn this brand into a success...........taking more or less cheap rep quartz Rolex's, on plastic bracelets, and selling them for the same amount as our super reps or more. The unfortunate thing is that it means that people are stupid enough to go out and buy them, ah well. Ironically toywatches have been repped in China, saw some in Shen Zhen last week

When I was window shopping for Christmas.. I saw a couple was buying the new Panerai style Toywatch...apparently they have AP models & PN daytona models as well and it is kind of big fashion item for women.. i took a good look to see if I can make use of the bezel and was disappointed..

TOYWATCHXAudemarsPiguet.pngtoywatch.jpg

I saw a lot of them in bars and restaurants in Como during my italy vacation last september. I thought they were cheap lookalikes as similar polycarbonate fake subs are promotional gifts from some magazines here in Germany. I'd never thought that someone is really paying for this sh**...