Welcome to RWG - The original

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

KB

NANUQ

34 posts in this topic

I, Too, Sing America

by Langston Hughes

I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.

They send me to eat in the kitchen

When company comes,

But I laugh,

And eat well,

And grow strong.

Tomorrow,

I'll be at the table

When company comes.

Nobody'll dare

Say to me,

"Eat in the kitchen,"

Then.

Besides,

They'll see how beautiful I am

And be ashamed--

I, too, am America.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the message in the above poem is clear, Alaska for too long now has been America’s forgotten state, everyone knows where it is but no one wants to go there.

Yet more and more the people of America and indeed the world are waking up to the dazzling beauty of the 49th state.

Much credit for this can be given to the people of Alaska themselves who, due to the love of their home, tirelessly promote its many wonders to the world.

It will come as no surprise then when I introduce Nanuq as my next interview subject, not only a damn proud Alaskan but a pretty handy Co-Admin too.

Excellent read KB & BA...

I have to admit though, breaking bread with Bob in person is much better...

Class act he truly is...

Double T

another fantastic interview; thanks fellas!!

nanuq, you have experienced some remarkable acts of generosity (of the vintage rolex variety); i'm confident it couldn't have happened to a better person :victory:

deltatahoe

ps, the "throwing the rolex overboard" story just never gets old, no matter how many times i read it :lol:

Great interview, good reading to know the Nanuq behind the Nanuq! Thanks guys.

Awesome interview! I didn't know your son was an Eagle Scout...congratulations to you and him! What an honor...

Great interview! Alaska seems to be very interesting place to live in. The legendary "Submariner toughness test" from RWG1 was omitted though.

PS: I'm still envious to Nanuq and his 1675 deal (or should we call it robbery). :D

Sorry,.. this was not an "interesting read" .. it was a "captivating Life line" into one of the most interesting places on the planet and one of RWG's most intriguing Team Members.. I truly enjoyed reading this interview Ken, and B. thanks so very much .. I'll have to go over this again.. the adventure of your life is worth reading twice..

Aloha

L

A great read KB and Nanug.

Thanks for putting in the time, these are a highlight for me.

Nanug and I do share a joint passion for old divers watches, albeit I'm not much in to Rolex.

I

HA HA HA the throwing the watch in the ocean was classic!!! Thats awesome!! If it ever warms up there, maybe i'll come visit you too. WAY too cold up there for me.. I'm used to more of that Oregon type climate. Thats sorta close to where i am... not really TROPICAL though haha

Ah, thank you all, gentlemen. It is such an honor to know you, and to be part of this great place we call RWG. I'd like to meet more of you and really get to know you. There are so many stories... I've lost a lot of friends to accidents but I've made lots more here. And for that, I am humbled and very grateful.

@Offshore thanks for the heads up! :tu:

Great story and it maeks me curious about Alaska.

Maybe sometime i will plan a vacation to Alaska.

The only problem is i can't run fast to escape form the bears.

Carpe Diem

Cats

What a fantastic read, thank you both for sharing it with us :)

Great interview Ken. It's nice to get to know you Nanuq. I have been to Alaska and indeed it is breathtaking. BTW can you see Russia from your crib? :D Mike

A class interview with a class gentleman.

Bob like many others comes into that "lucky to have hime here with us" category.

Lang may yer lum reek!

What a fantastic read, my eyes filled up when I read about your son and your loss of your friends.

Thanks so much for sharing, well done.

RG

What a wonderful read...but what's the REAL Bob like?

Great stuff about a great man.

Maybe sometime i will plan a vacation to Alaska.

The only problem is i can't run fast to escape form the bears.

Ahhh, you don't have to outrun the bears... just your hiking partner. :tu:

Thanks for shareing those moments Bob,must be hard to relate them to someone else and epecialy for this amount of people, but they were doing what they loved. Also for reminding me of the old scouts honour, been a long time since i graduated from scouts to my presant job but it was nice to think back and i hope that i still sort of hold to it.

now.... THAT was an interesting read...

... and we all know who the real BOB is...

post-2851-1234990481_thumb.jpg

ID: 24   Posted (edited)

Well heck, I logged on twice today and composed two posts that I decided not to submit. Pity. It was some purdy good stuff from the old board, replete with an engraciating quote, with regard, from the guy who used to own my avatar (won her in a chess game, the same move I used to beat 'HAL').

Suffice; He's the man. Bob is.

Tell you what though..............next Summer? When I travel back to AK? I'm going down and find that 'Trustywatchguy' Sea Dweller. Yeah. Then we'll see. Yes, then we'll see. B)

Edited by Demsey

Another great interview.. Love them!!!