When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 17 (advice)..

this watch has been on my radar for a while now,

i've read many posts and reviews about it, so far it looks like a super-rep to me, after the mod of the rotor that reads "calibre 17"

what concerns me most is its 18mm thickness compared to the 14.85 of the gen

does it make that much of a difference?

i posted this so i can get advice from members who own this beauty, and experts that are familiar with it :g:

some wrist shots would be helpful, bear in mind that i have a 6.7 inch wrist

is it too big for me?

i didnt wana buy it before gettin more info, because as u see, its not a cheap rep <_<

should i do it? or maybe wait for the thickness issue to be resolved? (is it possible for that to happen?)

thx

Master, for our wrist size is too large, that's my personal point of view. I never buy any watch bigger that 43 or 44 mm, been my perfect size 40-41.

I bought this one for a friend, not for me, I wear it just for the pics, I didn't even ajust the bracelet, I put a piece of rubber in the back of the wrist to keep it tight.

Anyway it is a beautiful piece.

I am picking up mine in a couple of hours and will post pics/wristies.

As for the watch being too thick.... Mate, for me it's an issue of percepton and how comfortable one feels/whether you can carry it off. My wrist size is smaller than yours but I love wearing big/chunky watches. And not once has anyone told me that they look too big on my wrist.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ThePhilosopher

I just ordered one a few days ago (still awaiting it's arrival) and I have no issues wearing big watches. I chose the POO 45 over the 42 because it felt better. I'll snap some photos when it arrives for sure.

@dolphinfriendly: that one has quartz movement and i wouldn't recommend it, the movement is jurky and unreliable, and the back is solid SS without the 2 saphire crystals showing the movement and the rotor like the gen

i believe that Samurai is selling a new unworn one for a good price, i dont know if its still available

check it out at the "Wathces" in the Trading Zone section

no need to thank me, thats what were here for

and hopefully u wont regret buying that version, its still a very nice watch and very well built,

but u'll learn that the best quality has its price

and dont forget that u can always use the trading zone to sell it if u consider letting it go

congrats on ur purchase

and dont forget to show us some pics!

cheers

Edited by MasterOfPuppets

well it has arrived, and tbh Im a little dissapointed. the finish and markings are fine, but when should the small seconds at 3 tick, mine only move when the time is being manually adjusted, also when the chrono is reset the second hand returns to the 3 second place rather than the 12. can this be adjusted without major surgery? i will post up some better pics when I get home.

post-21136-1237371598_thumb.jpg

well it has arrived, and tbh Im a little dissapointed. the finish and markings are fine, but when should the small seconds at 3 tick, mine only move when the time is being manually adjusted, also when the chrono is reset the second hand returns to the 3 second place rather than the 12. can this be adjusted without major surgery? i will post up some better pics when I get home.

the seconds at 3 should be working fine for that version, u should contact the dealer u bought it from about it, cuz im sure that their website said "fully working chrono"

the chrono reset at 3 instead at 12 is easy to fix, any watchmaker can do it for u in a minute, if they deal with reps, or just go to the movement section and read all about it

but i wouldn't risk openning up a watch if i haven't done it before so be careful

and the pic u have posted looks like its been taken under water or somethin!!!

like i said, try contacting the dealer about these issues..

good luck

Well I contacted the seller, who gave me instructions on how to reset the chrono second hand (just pull out the crown and press the start/stop button until it reaches the correct position), so thats sorted, I feel a bit better about the watch now. its quite a good rep. but I cant get my camera to focus properly on the watch face.

MoP, have you looked at Samurai's one in the watches for sale section? He has a brand new one that he bought but got the poo poo from the missus! It's a stunning piece, my pop is going to pull the trigger on the rose gold version.

Go have a look at Samurai's listing, you will save a good bit of money too, and you know you can trust him and know for sure the watch is perfect working order and don't have th hassle of sending back, waiting 3 months and getting another watch with the same probs!! Me and about a thousand other guys will vouch for him, hes a top guy and has an impecable sales record!!

Go on, you know you want to!!! ;)

MoP, have you looked at Samurai's one in the watches for sale section? He has a brand new one that he bought but got the poo poo from the missus! It's a stunning piece, my pop is going to pull the trigger on the rose gold version.

Go have a look at Samurai's listing, you will save a good bit of money too, and you know you can trust him and know for sure the watch is perfect working order and don't have th hassle of sending back, waiting 3 months and getting another watch with the same probs!! Me and about a thousand other guys will vouch for him, hes a top guy and has an impecable sales record!!

Go on, you know you want to!!! ;)

thx,

but like i mentioned before, i've been having some trouble with my credit card

if the watch doesn't sell buy the time i solve the problem, i will most definitly take it! but i dont know when thats gona be, so im not gettin my hopes up

strange why it hasn't been sold yet, the price is very attractive

good luck Samurai

• 2 weeks later...