When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I just can't pull the trigger on an Asian 7750 mov't

Prsist

I get the feeling I'm gonna get flamed on this one but here she goes....

I've read so much my head hurts. Wind her up, service her within 9 months to get longevity..... I've read there are more than your average share of problems with this movement. I'm looking at a couple watches with the asian 7750 mov't and am looking for a little reassurance in the long-term reliability of the movement.

Sorry the only one who can give you that kind of guarantee is your watchsmith.

In terms of quality I have many and have not had any trouble others have a few and problems with all of them.

I think you really answered your own question....get them serviced.

Ken

I know how you feel. I just purchased my first 7750 movement. It's in a Pam 250. As of the past two weeks it is working as advertised. I know that I will have to have it serviced within the next several months. I know that many members have had excellent service from this movement. Then there are members who have not. I think that these movements are better now then they have ever been. I could be wrong. The big question for me and others is "who's going to service it". I am now looking for a watch repair person or watchsmith as it were. I hope to find someone close by soon. Having The Zigmeister do any work on my watches is not even a option any longer. One The Zigmeister and thousands of members, not good. Then again you can always try. Thats the way it is in this hobby, no guarantees. Good luck :) Mike

Thanks for the info. Good news indeed :drinks: Mike

I've owned at least 30+ watches with the new A7750 (high beat) and they've all been great--reliable time, never have broken down... It's the only movement I can say that about. (Supposedly the MOST reliable movements, the 21j and 6497 have given me some issues--never the new A7750.)

I think the older A7750's (low beat) had their share of problems, and sort of sullied the reputation of the new one--even though it's completely different.

Yeah, just get it serviced if you want to ensure longevity.

One thing: never wind an automatic movement. You'll end up doing damage. Also, always set the date when the hour hand is at the 6... And don't play around with your Chronos...

Good luck.

RSM

Do yourself a favor if you want some reassurances, read The Zigmeister's review of the movement and it's reliability. The fact is that yes, with proper service the movement will last a long time. Most of our movements out of the box, work reliably and without any issues. As with any customer service or product experience, we tend to only comment on the negative. Given the sheer number of watches that we all own with the A7750 movement in them, it has a pretty low chance of giving you problems.

If you do decide to get your watch serviced by a watchsmith, be sure to find out exactly what you are paying for. Are they going to completely tear down the movement? or just a quick lube job? Don't be afraid to ask questions.

As far as not playing with the chronos, that's been proven to be pretty much a myth. If you're using the chronos as intended and something breaks, work with your dealer and get it taken care of. There are a few tips and tricks for the movement, read up and bit and you'll be fine. I think a some people are still pretty gun shy from the previous versions, when there was a higher rate of problems and out right failures. At the end of the day you still don't want to get one, *shrug* there are still plenty of watches out there to choose from.

WR

I get the feeling I'm gonna get flamed on this one but here she goes....

I've read so much my head hurts. Wind her up, service her within 9 months to get longevity..... I've read there are more than your average share of problems with this movement. I'm looking at a couple watches with the asian 7750 mov't and am looking for a little reassurance in the long-term reliability of the movement.

So i guess you're having issues with about 50% of all automatic reps sold in this hobby! Seeing as how 99% of all chrono movements will have A7750s. I guess stick to Asian 21j and ETA280X movements and you'll be satisfied but without any chrono features...

I have 2 A7750 watches and they've run great for the last 2 years without any problems.

-ryan

If you're really concerned about maintenance and reliability...stay away from mechanical watches in general (rep or gen)...and look at the quartz reps. Much simpler, cheaper and easy to maintain. They just aren't as accurate or "glamorous".

Not as accurate? :g: Toad what you smoken? Because I want some :p Mike

Not as accurate? :g: Toad what you smoken? Because I want some :p Mike

I think he means in terms of design...IE- an AP ROO Quartz...not accurate for the AP in terms of the movement it SHOULD have....correct me if I'm wrong Toad but that's how I read it...

I've owned at least 30+ watches with the new A7750 (high beat) and they've all been great--reliable time, never have broken down... It's the only movement I can say that about. (Supposedly the MOST reliable movements, the 21j and 6497 have given me some issues--never the new A7750.)

I agree...I've been very fortunate with the A7750...the only one I ever had a problem with was one I got in a member trade many moons ago where the hour totalizer was "wandering"- a very common problem as I'm told and a (supposedly) easy fix...

Worst case- you're out a hundred/ hundred and fifty or so dollars for either a new movement + installation or a servicing...either way- significantly cheaper than a gen and the failure rate (at least in my experience) is very low... Another thing- you're also prob. not going to fall in love with every single watch that you purchase so you might sell/trade in which case you may only have the watch for a few months to a year and not need to service it...

Best of luck either way!!!!

I think he means in terms of design...IE- an AP ROO Quartz...not accurate for the AP in terms of the movement it SHOULD have....correct me if I'm wrong Toad but that's how I read it...

Exactly!! Obviously the movement itself in terms of timekeeping will be more accurate...but if you're $30,000 gen should have a smooth sweep and you've got a loud tick-tick-tick in your rep...

As well...many (not all) of the quartz reps use cases, dials, handsets, etc that are not as high quality/accurate as the more expensive ones written about here.

Mind you...for 75% less cost...the big question is if the level of accuracy in a quartz rep is close enough for the wearer...NOT close as possible to the gen!!! These are 2 different issues.

As to what am I smokin'? I'll give you the first baggie free...just remember where you got it from. ;)

I've got a rep SMP Chrono with the 28k8 Asian 7750 in it which I bought more than 2 years ago. I just now had a watchmaker service it and he said there's nothing that would prevent my watch from running the next 3 years as it already did.