When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

King of Kings!..Vote

nnomad

Hi guys and girls,

Its monday, you cant expect all that much from this criminal day, but, all in all, i think it would be nice and helpfull if all of you expert souls and avid collectors out there would take this challenge.

i did a search and i wasnt able to find a similar challenge..so here it goes:

My challenge is, a top 10 list, of all the best reps out there, not regarding style, type or whatever..just the fact that all of them tell the time (usefull stuff...), and all of them are oustanding replications of the original one, being the 10 the less accurated (Though very very accurate), and the 1st the all mighty " almost touching perfection...OMGGGGGG!!!!!!! is this too damn good or what?!?!?.." one rule... just one rule: no mods allowed, so it has to be something that comes as it is from the seller. ..

being a noob, i cant set the example and give my list.. for obvious reasons..so..let the votes begin!

cheers.

A.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My list would go like this:

1) Skyland (SS and Blacksteel). Simply the best out-of-the-box replica I've ever seen. Period.

2) SOH. There appear to be two version of this watch. One has a poor dial with bad dial print (Automatic is printed incorrectly with the 'A' not under the 'P'), the other is spot on. The latter is another out-of-the-box replica that's about as good as it gets.

3) SOSF. Of the three dial colors, I find the black dial to be the most accurate. The white and blue dial versions aren't 100% correct in their hue, but black is, well, black. This is another rep that is sooo close to the real deal, without any mods.

4) Ebel 1911 Discovery. I haven't handled one of these yet, but based on the opinion of those that have, along with pictures I've seen, it's hard to imagine this watch being any better.

5) Explorer II (Noob factory). The black dial Explorer II that BKLM can source is one of the best Rolex replica's out there. Other than the crown/tube, the rest of the watch is about as close as you can get without buying a genuine.

6) Closed Factory SMP. I'd rank this higher, but since it's now unobtanium, it gets sixth. From what I can tell, there is only ONE 'closed factory' SMP that really counts. It's the 007 version that came with a Seagull 2892. It had the correct bracelet (pins), but what really set it apart was the correct movement, which allowed correct dimensions with regard to the caseback. It also had a correctly placed He valve, and the CG's were spot-on.

7) WM9 Submariner. Version 2 is the closest out-of-the-box due to a much improved bracelet, better dial and tweaked CG's. But either version one, or two, are about as good as it gets with the venerable Submariner. Of course, with mods, either version can be made to as close to 1:1 as is possible with a 2836 movement. But out of the box, it get's 7th place from me.

8) WM9 Yachtmaster. This could actually be ranked much higher, but it hasn't really gotten into circulation all that much. Until it does, I'm comfortable putting it at number 8. From what little we've seen, this sucker is another 'spot-on' replica, in pretty much every respect. If we start to see these in the hands of the community a bit more, this could easily take 1st place if all the hype bears out.

9) Tag Aquaracer. I have zero experience with these, but there are many on this board who do and have gone on record as to the watch's accuracy. This is another one that, on another list, could be ranked much higher.

10) Rolex DSSD version 3. Another watch I have zero experience with, but gets great marks from those that do, depending on the version.

That's my 'top 10' off the cuff. Looking forward to seeing what others think!

SR

Great list sporster, thank you!

Common people...!!!!!! ...(by the way..to make defiant posts and get almost no answers is really embarresing.....)

A.

I think your a very clever person. This a great way to get many opinions on the best rep without getting flamed, you sir are brillant. :notworthy: I wish I had thought of it :doh: Mike :p

Style aside...I would put forth in no particular order:

1. Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine Chrono
  2. Rolex Deep Sea SeaDweller V3
  3. Omega Seamaster Professional 300 Chrono (white lettering)
  4. Breitling Black Steel Skyland V2
  5. Tag Heur Carrera
  6. Rolex GMT IIc (the right version)
  7. Concord C1 (movement is the main issue...but the rotor is nicely done)
  8. Breitling Skyland...either version (if you get a good one, the differences are really splitting hairs)
  9. Ebel 1911 Discovery

It's tricky...as they each might have something off on them...but the flaws are all pretty minor. What one person considers a show stopper the other person might not even be able to figure what they're talking about.

I guess my list is more a list of really good reps out of the box...not a best of.

The SSD belongs in that list! Especially with shaved CGs and WM pearl.

Well, it was my list, after all, so nope! :)

I think the SSD is a great rep, but it's not in my top 10 for out-of-the-box accuracy. The CG's are wrong, the rehaut is weird (from some angles, spot on, from others, totally wrong) and it's got the typical rep pearl. Modded, it's a damn good one, though.

5. Tag Heur Carrera
  8. Breitling Skyland...either version (if you get a good one, the differences are really splitting hairs)
  9. Ebel 1911 Discovery

It's tricky...as they each might have something off on them...but the flaws are all pretty minor. What one person considers a show stopper the other person might not even be able to figure what they're talking about.

I guess my list is more a list of really good reps out of the box...not a best of.

Great list! Can't believe I forgot the GMT-IIc!

5. Tag Heur Carrera
  9. Ebel 1911 Discovery

Nice list King.... and im must confess...the damn Rolex Deep Sea SeaDweller is killing me slowly..!!.....i want that watch..and i never liked rolex at all.. scary stuff

Nice list King.... and im must confess...the damn Rolex Deep Sea SeaDweller is killing me slowly..!!.....i want that watch..and i never liked rolex at all.. scary stuff

I like the DSSD...but it's too big for regular usage for me I think. My big clunker in that department is the Skyland.

I'm not a huge fan of the C1 either...but as an accurate rep, it's pretty darned good. I think it's more interesting as a "collection" piece than one I would wear.

I don't know if the new Top Gun ceramic IWC would get on this list...possibly...

I don't know if the new Top Gun ceramic IWC would get on this list...possibly...

Im not a big fan of chronometers.. though IWC TG is a nice watch..the only down part..half the people i fly with have one.. (probably all fakes though.they dont pay us that much.. at least, not that im aware of..)

1. Breitling Skyland - Not only does it look virtually identical, it feels amazing. Build quality is fantastic, bezel is solid and rotates precisely. The font for the date they got right and the double AR really makes it seem like it has no crystal at all. Folks on the Breitling forums had difficulty picking this out as a rep.

2. Hublot Big Bang - The man responsible for bringing the genuine to life was shocked to find out that rep dealers were advertising with pictures of the replica when he though they were pictures of the genuine. Its a complex design comprised of many parts that the replica makers nailed on about the first try. There are so many versions out now that there is a flavor for just about anyone.

3. Rolex Deep Sea - Available in the replica world at the same time (a bit ahead actually) as the genuine, this has its propriatory case and glide lock clasp design faithfully executed. It was also introduced at a price that most of our community can afford.

4. Tag Heuer Aquaracer Chronograph (Day Date) - Just get the black dial version, change out the day and date wheels with gen ETA parts, and it will be virtually identical to the genuine. The size, weight and finish are spot on.

5. Tag Heuer Carrera Chronograph - Identical in size and finish (the bracelet is absolutely beautiful), the only thing it reall needs is a date wheel transplant with the ETA part.

6. Rolex Super Sea Dweller - Some have actually tested one in a diving bell and it passed with flying colors. For the first time we had a SD that captured the essence of the real thing.

7. Breitling SOSF - Based on the must have reviews of a lot of folks in the community and in comparison in pics of the genuine, this one has truly earned its super replica status.

8. Omega Ultimate Planet Ocean (UPO) - With no more modification other than better AR, this one has earned its spot on the list. Nicely done dial, correct looking date font, and overall build quality and weight make this one a joy to own.

9. Bk's joint venture Submariners with Watchmaker9 - Even the base model straight from George boasts gen-like construction and great dial printing. Adding Bk's special treatment to it creates a robust watch that is identical to the real deal.

10. AP Baricello Chronograph - Just out last week it is yet unproven, but I'll include it in my list due to its complex looking proprietory design. Everything from the case and bezel material, to the skeletonized hands are for this model only and in comparison pics to the genuine, looks like a very worthy reproduction of the genuine.

Thats my .02

Well, it turns out that there are tons of great reps and basically I do agree with the lists above. I was just thinking about making one more list with ten watches (in no particular order). These are also considered as super reps by one member or the other and are very close to the original:

1. FM Salmon Dial Casablanca with the same movement as the gen.

2. MBW/MBK Patek Nautilus

3. MBW/MBK Patek Aquanut

4. Rolex Correct Hand Stack GMT Master II

5. Cartier Santos 100 - unfortunatelly the rwg dial project was not realized

6. Porsche Flat 6

7. IWC 3717

8. Graham Chrono Fighter

9. Chopard MM

10. Tag Heuer Link Chrono

+1. IWC Slevin/Cousteau Diver

1. FM Salmon Dial Casablanca with the same movement as the gen.

2. MBW/MBK Patek Nautilus

3. MBW/MBK Patek Aquanut

4. Rolex Correct Hand Stack GMT Master II

5. Cartier Santos 100 - unfortunatelly the rwg dial project was not realized

6. Porsche Flat 6

7. IWC 3717

8. Graham Chrono Fighter

9. Chopard MM

10. Tag Heuer Link Chrono

+1. IWC Slevin/Cousteau Diver

These are some good choices here too. I've never gone crazy over the Patek sports watches...so couldn't comment on these for accuracy. I like the look of the Grahams...but haven't read or researched enough to know how accurate a reproduction they are. They are impressive looking watches...but like many...as impressive as they may be...I have no idea how accurate they are.

The Link Chrono and Porsche Flat 6 are good ones.

I left the 3717 series out as the 3717-01/03 usually has at least a couple crooked markers that are the wrong dimensions...and the 3717-02/05 because of the wrong caseback and running seconds hand size. I think the Spitfire (02/05) is more accurate visually out of the box (caseback aside) as the crooked markers on the 3717-01 stand out more to me.

I left out the Slevin/CD series because of the misalignment in the internal rotating bezel, sticker on the 2006 CD, colour matching and wrong lume on the Slevin, etc...

"Quote"

just one rule: no mods allowed, so it has to be something that comes as it is from the seller. ..

I think it must be said that a few of the watches on theese lists do require mods to be "perfect". Lets stay on topic even though its hard since there are so many "98%" reps lately :)

*ebel, ebel, ebel, ebel, ebel, ebel..." :1a: