When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can Ziggy or someone else modd the AP Barrichello Plate

Guest nikos1978

Guest nikos1978

yes i think THAt TO PRINT SOMETHING AND PASTE IT WILL BE GREAT

but will must find 1 more clear PHOTO of barrichello movement

anyone in forum have more clean photo???

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure there is no problem to put a opaque decal there... for example, see my tuto about the Spanish flag on a HBB:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Spanish-flag-FEF-Hublo-t89270.html

You can print on the decal what you want..however...do we have good pictures of the gen? will it look good enough? it is just a decal...

A picture of the gen follows:

APCAPRB2LNIB5xx.jpg

Francisco.

I think just putting some Cotes de geneve kind-a-like decoration will improve a lot the watch, even without the gears and screws

IMHO

best regards

Nicko PLEASE stop writting in capitals bud, I can't see the screen it gets read to me by voice software and it goes up several octaves to let know of a caoital letter! So every time you 'shout' I really do actually get shouted at!

Now just calm down a bit for a minute, do you own this watch yet? If not why so frantic about it all?

Francisco, from what I can tell from people describing the watch to me, all that shows is the silver middle gear (secs at 12 I believe) and a 2 and a half silver screw heads, thats it!

Now from your tutorial, which is very good by the way, even when you can't see it, top work! Now you say the top plate has no real use, is it a spacer betwen the dial and the movement maybe? Has to have some purpose I would have thought, the factories wouldn't press out these plates for no reason, this isn't being said as sarcasm, I'm trying to figure out whats what here. So basically top plate, not much use, decal could be a perfect way around this before Nicko goes 'Texas Dremel Massacre' on us!!

My main prob with cutting the top plate is that it leaves the seconds at 12 gear that bit more exposed, I now the gen is exposed, but then if youcan afford one you can afford to replace it really! In leaving exposed, I don't mean in the skeleton manner that the gen is, but in the 'crap getting caught up in the gear and killing your $700 watch' exposed! Does this pose a threat or problem in any way?

Personally I think the decal route is by far the most sensible for now until we can work out more of what happens when you get dremel happy! After all, ask Samurai, you need to get real close to know the gear isn't showing let alone a screw head!!

Guest carlsbadrolex

This question is mostly for francisco... I too have taken this watch apart a couple times to do the date surround painting. I see no reason why the center hole in the spacer plate AND in the movement top plate cannot be made larger. It does not appear to me that the top plate (the one screwed in) is used to retain the center gear at all.

If the hole were enlarged in both plates, you would be able to clearly see the center gear. I also think that if a hole were created in the spacer plate, you could epoxy the head of a small screw on to the top plate.

Francisco, do you see any reason why this could not be done?

img2125jo6.jpg

img2127in0.jpg

Guys....while all this is good....let me tell you ....having this watch on my wrist.....there is no way anyone can tell whether the gears are showing thru or not....not unless someone brings is close to their face and has a close look....even then at first it seems like there is some kinda movement behind the dial (the swirl marks on the plate give this kinda effect).

The options I see are:

# Live with the watch the way it is......it is indeed a very good copy

# Put the decal on the top plate (thanks Francisco....your tutorial on the decal is really great....had missed out on that one)

# Do some fancy drilling work on the plate (@ the risk of screwing up the movement)...and honestly....I don't think it would work...as the movement exposed by drilling the plate will be quite far from the dial (because of the plate) and won't be visible on a cursory glance as such

And lastly...and the best option....hope that the rep factories come up with an updated version.

Cheers

i was thinking that punching a larger center hole in the center of very top plate and setting in a dummy gear in, along with proper engraving, and a screw head or two might be a good compromise solution with out messing with the movement

would this work? are there silver gears one could drill out to fit over center shaft?

thanks

Guest nikos1978

# Put the decal on the top plate (thanks Francisco....your tutorial on the decal is really great....had missed out on that one)

these for begin is good idea

DOES anyone have any good photo?

these for begin is good idea

DOES anyone have any good photo?

IMO, the plate's only function is a spacer for the cyclops...given how deep the gen date window is, the factories had to do something.

Drill/cut away :)

think just putting some Cotes de geneve kind-a-like decoration will improve a lot the watch

do you mean to print?

or put?

they could put the same decoration that is on the PAM H series movement, can engrave the plate or just put on a sticker with the Cote d geneve decoration, that would be good enought (i think) even without gears :rolleyes:

best regards

some points:

1.- I will never drill a hole in the second plate. it is too risky and you can distrub the nomal motion of the silver gear.

2.- Bosk... "MO, the plate's only function is a spacer for the cyclops...given how deep the gen date window is, the factories had to do something." Porbably you are right... the plate is there for something.. but when i reviewed the movement i was looking for a mechanical function... and i could not find it...so you approach may be correct..

3.- I can try the decal approach... however... I need the rep... and i am not going to buy it for myself... and very good pictures are needed. The problem is that later you will have a look to the decals with a loupe or, here, with a macro shot and you will begin to complain...it is not perfect... look that point there... :p

Francisco.

Thats exactly what I've been trying to say Samurai, unless it's against someones nose, they aint going to notice a thing!! My 'eyes' described your pics to me in great detail and the watch sounds amazing as is!

Wear well and in good health! With a wee bit of hell raising and debauchery thrown in for luck!! ;)

:bones:

My main prob with cutting the top plate is that it leaves the seconds at 12 gear that bit more exposed, I now the gen is exposed, but then if youcan afford one you can afford to replace it really! In leaving exposed, I don't mean in the skeleton manner that the gen is, but in the 'crap getting caught up in the gear and killing your $700 watch' exposed! Does this pose a threat or problem in any way?

Hey Sixx,

Cutting the hole shouldn't be a problem. Remember...a PROPERLY (yes I'm shouting at you here...hah hah) serviced watch should be cleaned of all the loose metal, dirt and pubic hair (yes you read that correctly) left over from the factories in China, and assembled in a clean environment, so there really should be nothing loos knocking about. Any of the moving parts should not be rubbing against anything...aside from the jewelled parts of the gears which should have minimal friction. There is so little oil/grease used that it is held in by capillary action rather than reservoirs so there should be nothing to drip on anything, so having the gears exposed should be fine.

Think of the skeletonized type of watches that have everything exposed, and it should be the same principle.

I ve just dismantled an old watch (my first rep) to get parts to glue to the dummy plate. I just need to order the watch now, I will drill holes in the dummy plate and stick the screw heads to the second plate. Then mask stripes off on the dummy plate and spray it with automotive spray to get geneva stripe effect. Or completely [censored] it all up and be in a very bad mood, either way worth a shot.

I ve just dismantled an old watch (my first rep) to get parts to glue to the dummy plate. I just need to order the watch now, I will drill holes in the dummy plate and stick the screw heads to the second plate. Then mask stripes off on the dummy plate and spray it with automotive spray to get geneva stripe effect. Or completely [censored] it all up and be in a very bad mood, either way worth a shot.

Sounds like a plan mate. Keep us posted.