When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1st post, inc. obligatory noobish questions.

Evening all!

My experience with replicas is extremely close to zero, although not quite there seeing as I own an exceedingly awful Omega Seamaster. I got it out of idle curiosity a few years back, on the internet, paid very little for it and got exactly what I paid for. Oh well.

Anyway, although I'm by no means a watch afficionado I'd quite like to get hold of a nice watch for festive use (once every three years or so in other words), but I really have no clue what I'm getting into here. Hence the following noobish questions.

1. How good is a good replica? Does good simply mean that the beer-slugging dimwit down the road can't tell it from the real thing, or that it takes professional watchmaker to spot the fake one?

2. How the hell do I know if I'm getting a good one or not without entering deep-study mode for the next few years? It seems some of you folks know enough to start making your own, but quite frankly I don't particularly want to go to such lengths.

3. How long do these things last and remain good timekeepers? A few days? A few weeks? A few months? Years?

4. What do you do when they decide to stop working? I assume you don't toddle off to the nearest watchmaker and ask him/her to have a look at it?

5. Kindly feast your eyes on the specimens below and if possible tell me if they're worth having:

Breguet no.1109 @ Perfect Clones

Breguet no. 884 @ Perfect Clones

Breguet no. 884 @ Pam111

Breguet no. 1109 @ Pam111

I could afford to shell out a bit more, but those are my two favourite watches (apart from some Breguets not seemingly available as replicas) and hence the ones I would prefer to get.

Any opinions and insights you might will be most welcome!

Oh yes, nearly forgot - great forum folks; extremely informative, if slightly daunting for a neophyte like myself.

- Agrippa

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to RWG Agrippa. Dont be to disapointed that theres not a line waiting to give you answears. The thing is that all the infomation that you need is literally at your finger tips. There are members here that have given so much of there time and knowledge to help us new members. All they ask in return is to read the reveiws and articles that they have written. I dont think this is to much to ask. This is also the way we learn. To be given a quick answear is convenient, but thats about all it is. realy. The good news is that it looks like you have already done some homework. The information here is incredable. Just give it a little time and your questions will be answered. If you have not done so as of yet, read Toads Noob Guide, it is a staple of this community Also the search function in the uper right hand corner is a wonderful device. When I arrived here I knew nothing about Reps. Well now that I have been here for a while I can say that, :huh: well I still dont know anything about reps, but Im a bad example :p So roll up your sleeves and get to it, I promise you it will be a great experence. Happy hunting :) Mike

Welcome to RWG Agrippa. (...) Happy hunting :) Mike

Mike, you're way of welcoming new folks and reacting to those typical noob-questions is really heart warming. Thank you for that. :hands:

I fully understand that the old time cracks here are sort of fed up with answering those posts again and again. Maybe it takes us semi-noobs to friendly guide the really noob noobs towards the desired information treasures.

Yours kindly

Valerian

Evening all!

5. Kindly feast your eyes on the specimens below and if possible tell me if they're worth having:

I've not seen either watch in person, so can't tell you how close they are to the gen - have a good look at some gen photos in comparison which should give you an idea.

There are a few reps that are very hard indeed to tell from the real thing and some of the franken watches built by members here can be almost indistinguishable even to an expert - but I wouldn't go into an authorised dealer wearing any of them. Having said that, Breguet are not exactly commonplace so it's very unlikely anyone short of an expert or AD would even know what it is, let alone recognise it as a rep.

Reliability-wise, the 'Lemania' (actually a Chinese clone) movement fitted to those watches is extremely reliable and should give you many years of use. Even the cheap 21J movements you find in a lot of low-cost reps tend to be reliable and there's no reason why most reps shouldn't last as long as a similarly priced gen mechanical watch. There are watchmakers who are happy to work on reps and you'll find information on some of them on the board here.

Ultimately nothing beats a gen - in sheer build quality if nothing else. Replicas can, however, be very satisfactory so it will depend on your own standards as to whether you'll be satisfied.

Mike, you're way of welcoming new folks and reacting to those typical noob-questions is really heart warming. Thank you for that. :hands:

I fully understand that the old time cracks here are sort of fed up with answering those posts again and again. Maybe it takes us semi-noobs to friendly guide the really noob noobs towards the desired information treasures.

Yours kindly

Valerian

Thank you sir. I appreciate the kind words. :thumbs: Mike

Evening all!

My experience with replicas is extremely close to zero, although not quite there seeing as I own an exceedingly awful Omega Seamaster. I got it out of idle curiosity a few years back, on the internet, paid very little for it and got exactly what I paid for. Oh well.

Anyway, although I'm by no means a watch afficionado I'd quite like to get hold of a nice watch for festive use (once every three years or so in other words), but I really have no clue what I'm getting into here. Hence the following noobish questions.

1. How good is a good replica? Does good simply mean that the beer-slugging dimwit down the road can't tell it from the real thing, or that it takes professional watchmaker to spot the fake one?

2. How the hell do I know if I'm getting a good one or not without entering deep-study mode for the next few years? It seems some of you folks know enough to start making your own, but quite frankly I don't particularly want to go to such lengths.

3. How long do these things last and remain good timekeepers? A few days? A few weeks? A few months? Years?

4. What do you do when they decide to stop working? I assume you don't toddle off to the nearest watchmaker and ask him/her to have a look at it?

Breguet no. 884 @ Pam111

Breguet no. 1109 @ Pam111

I could afford to shell out a bit more, but those are my two favourite watches (apart from some Breguets not seemingly available as replicas) and hence the ones I would prefer to get.

Any opinions and insights you might will be most welcome!

Oh yes, nearly forgot - great forum folks; extremely informative, if slightly daunting for a neophyte like myself.

- Agrippa

To briefly answer your questions/

1. Some of the reps coming out now are so good that even an authorsed dealer would struggle to spot them on close examination let alone on the wrist.

2. Slightly pot luck but the dealers on here are very good and you should have few problems.

3. I have bought about twenty and have only had probems with 2. All the others keep very good time and I have had some for three years or more.

4. Keep the strap and chuck the watch in the bin.

5. Look at the threads for the best out of the box reps for quality. Never bought a Bruget but the Panerai watches are generally very good.

Good luck

Aidan

Welcome aboard. Maxman is the official Wal-Mart greeter!! I'll be brief here:

- ANY watch you like is worth having

- ANY rep you plan to pass off as gen will have the potential of being called unless it's a Franken built with 100% gen visible parts

- There are generally a couple categories of reps IMHO worth buying...reps that are super accurate, and reps that aren't but are still nice

- Generally, there aren't a lot of high accuracy Breguets. There are 1 or 2...can't remember which...but given that so few of them are spotted in the wild, the odds of anyone knowing what it is, or being able to spot gen vs. rep are slim

- Just because they aren't high accuracy, doesn't mean they aren't nice and worth buying.

I don't think the grey dial in the 1109 (first one) suits a Breguet. The 884's are nicer.

If you like the 884, I would recommend the Vacheron Constantin Malte Chrono with the same movement and layout...more accurate a rep...and the movement is solid (as it is in the Breguet as well).

These are RobbieG's pics:

Malte27.jpg

Malte5.jpg

@ maxman: no disappointment here, whatsoever. In fact, I went to bed shortly after posting and when I got up just now you folks had all answered. :D As for your points, a agree entirely....and disagree entirely too. As to the former, I have felt exactly as you write myself, on a number of forums dealing with various things. The number of times I've thought "learn to use the f***ing search button for f***'s sake, you dimwit f***tard", or stuff to that general effect, can be counted only by someone with at least a higher degree in mathematics.

In an ideal world (ideal for you that is, here, and for me elsewhere) everyone would of course carry out exhaustive searches before asking questions and otherwise never post superfluously, but this world ain't that world and never will be I suspect. For noobs and people with a casual and passing interest it isn't ideal though and until such become endangered species we're both likely left with imperfection. Personally I subscribe both to the noobish persuation and to having only a casual interest in the subject matter, but to my defence I did carry out a few fruitless searches before posting. Said fruitlessness and a certain message designed to nag us noobs into posting at least once then resulted in the original post.

Since I have nothing better to du right now, let me ramble on a bit longer: if no one had answered my first post; at all, ever; then maybe I would have tried again here sometime later, or perhaps I'd have tried somewhere else. Probably not though, given the casual manner of my interest in replicas. The same casualness would have precluded any deeper research as well and given my uncertainty about the quality and reliability of these things I would probably have decided not to go shopping either, thereby (maybe) forever removing any possibility of my being sufficiently impressed by the quality and reliability of a replica to be bitten by the bug and become an enthusiast myself and, in time, someone who might contribute constructively to the community. That's all a bit of a long shot of course, but you get my point I'm sure.

Anyway, in case you think I was offended by your very slight rebuke of my noobish abandon of good forum etiquette; I wasn't, in the least. Your language was far kinder than that used by myself on innumerable occasions and you should really view the above more as a "note to self" from me to me. I'm so seldom on the receiving end these days, so it was most useful in fact.

@ greg_r: thanks a lot for the information regarding the reliability of the Lemania and 21J movements, which convinced me that I will indeed go and get one just as soon as my tax rebate (yes, apparently miracles do still happen) arrives. I had a look at the "Top 10 replicas" (or something) thread and I might just see if I can find one there that I like the look of as well.

As far as being spotted wearing a replica, that's really of no concern at all. I've never seen a Breguet in real life, whether genuine or fake, so the chance of being denounced in public is really, really slim I think. :D Nor do I intend to try to pass it off as a real one - I just want a really nice watch to wear now and again. Like you say nothing beats the genuine article, but unless I should decide to turn to a life of crime I fear the likelyhood of owning a watch in that kind of price bracket is next to nonexistant.

@ everyone: Thanks for the info and the welcome folks, much appreciated! And please try to pardon my longwindedness and instead take pity on me, for I have a full week off work and nothing much to do with my time except chilling, listening to music and rambling on the internet. Woe is me. :D

- Agrippa

Edited by Agrippa

Welcome aboard. Maxman is the official Wal-Mart greeter!! I'll be brief here:

- ANY watch you like is worth having

- ANY rep you plan to pass off as gen will have the potential of being called unless it's a Franken built with 100% gen visible parts

- There are generally a couple categories of reps IMHO worth buying...reps that are super accurate, and reps that aren't but are still nice

- Generally, there aren't a lot of high accuracy Breguets. There are 1 or 2...can't remember which...but given that so few of them are spotted in the wild, the odds of anyone knowing what it is, or being able to spot gen vs. rep are slim

- Just because they aren't high accuracy, doesn't mean they aren't nice and worth buying.

I don't think the grey dial in the 1109 (first one) suits a Breguet. The 884's are nicer.

If you like the 884, I would recommend the Vacheron Constantin Malte Chrono with the same movement and layout...more accurate a rep...and the movement is solid (as it is in the Breguet as well).

These are RobbieG's pics:

Malte27.jpg

Malte5.jpg

Clean up on isle 5 :D

Wow, lots more good stuff while I rambled. Thanks guys, very useful and very interesting.

The Vacheron looks absolutely lovely Mr. Toadtorrent; that one goes straight on to the shortlist for sure. Otherwise I quite agree with your thoughts - I don't particularly care if it's a perfect copy or not, as long as it looks good, keeps good time and is reliable then it fulfills all my requirements in a watch. I won't ask more than that.

One more question if you all don't mind: I've never owned an automatic watch, but I see that you can get automatic winders for them and that such watches ideally should be wound at least partially at all times. How much of an issue is this and what would happen if I left it in a drawer for months on end, never winding it?

@ maxman: no disappointment here, whatsoever. In fact, I went to bed shortly after posting and when I got up just now you folks had all answered. :D As for your points, a agree entirely....and disagree entirely too. As to the former, I have felt exactly as you write myself, on a number of forums dealing with various things. The number of times I've thought "learn to use the f***ing search button for f***'s sake, you dimwit f***tard", or stuff to that general effect, can be counted only by someone with at least a higher degree in mathematics.

In an ideal world (ideal for you that is, here, and for me elsewhere) everyone would of course carry out exhaustive searches before asking questions and otherwise never post superfluously, but this world ain't that world and never will be I suspect. For noobs and people with a casual and passing interest it isn't ideal though and until such become endangered species we're both likely left with imperfection. Personally I subscribe both to the noobish persuation and to having only a casual interest in the subject matter, but to my defence I did carry out a few fruitless searches before posting. Said fruitlessness and a certain message designed to nag us noobs into posting at least once then resulted in the original post.

Since I have nothing better to du right now, let me ramble on a bit longer: if no one had answered my first post; at all, ever; then maybe I would have tried again here sometime later, or perhaps I'd have tried somewhere else. Probably not though, given the casual manner of my interest in replicas. The same casualness would have precluded any deeper research as well and given my uncertainty about the quality and reliability of these things I would probably have decided not to go shopping either, thereby (maybe) forever removing any possibility of my being sufficiently impressed by the quality and reliability of a replica to be bitten by the bug and become an enthusiast myself and, in time, someone who might contribute constructively to the community. That's all a bit of a long shot of course, but you get my point I'm sure.

Anyway, in case you think I was offended by your very slight rebuke of my noobish abandon of good forum etiquette; I wasn't, in the least. Your language was far kinder than that used by myself on innumerable occasions and you should really view the above more as a "note to self" from me to me. I'm so seldom on the receiving end these days, so it was most useful in fact.

@ greg_r: thanks a lot for the information regarding the reliability of the Lemania and 21J movements, which convinced me that I will indeed go and get one just as soon as my tax rebate (yes, apparently miracles do still happen) arrives. I had a look at the "Top 10 replicas" (or something) thread and I might just see if I can find one there that I like the look of as well.

As far as being spotted wearing a replica, that's really of no concern at all. I've never seen a Breguet in real life, whether genuine or fake, so the chance of being denounced in public is really, really slim I think. :D Nor do I intend to try to pass it off as a real one - I just want a really nice watch to wear now and again. Like you say nothing beats the genuine article, but unless I should decide to turn to a life of crime I fear the likelyhood of owning a watch in that kind of price bracket is next to nonexistant.

@ everyone: Thanks for the info and the welcome folks, much appreciated! And please try to pardon my longwindedness and instead take pity on me, for I have a full week off work and nothing much to do with my time except chilling, listening to music and rambling on the internet. Woe is me. :D

- Agrippa

Thanks for your response. I cant find anything to disagree with thats for sure. The thing I hate is some new members will post some questions that might be of the noobish variety, witch I totaly understand. Sometimes these post will have no replys whats so ever. Im sure you have seen this yourself. I feel bad for that member. To return here and find nothing. It wont give you a case of the warm and fuzzys thats for sure. So I do what I can to make a new member feel welcomed. I can only hope that said member will not be offended. It sounds to me that your forum savy, thats half the battle right there. I can see you have been around. This is the first forum that I have. ever joined. If know one would have responded to my first post I would have probably have left and not thought much of this community. So I try to welcome folks and return the same consideration that was so freely given to me. Again welcome and be careful,the bug has a vicious bite :drinks: Mike

... if no one had answered my first post; at all, ever; then maybe I would have tried again here sometime later, or perhaps I'd have tried somewhere else.

...Anyway, in case you think I was offended by your very slight rebuke of my noobish abandon of good forum etiquette; I wasn't, in the least. Your language was far kinder than that used by myself on innumerable occasions and you should really view the above more as a "note to self" from me to me.

Yup...Maxman is all class in his responses. He's just going by the usual experience of folks here who start off with a casual interest that, when they do in fact spend the time to start searching realize that there is a lot more info out there...GOOD and USEFUL info...and exciting discussion that they find RWG to be more than just a quick answer help desk for your one rep.

RWG aims to be a community of watch enthusiasts. The feeling with most folks here is that we try to encourage an interest in the "hobby" as that is what is of interest to us.

If you do indeed only have a passing interest in just getting one nice watch and don't care about putting back to the "community" of knowledge...then most of the "pros" here don't want to spend their time answering questions that you can find the answer for yourself through searching: if you don't want to spend the time searching...why should we spend the time responding.

That being said...hopefully you got the info you needed. If you only want this one watch and that's it...fine...the Breguet will be fine.

Yup...Maxman is all class in his responses. He's just going by the usual experience of folks here who start off with a casual interest that, when they do in fact spend the time to start searching realize that there is a lot more info out there...GOOD and USEFUL info...and exciting discussion that they find RWG to be more than just a quick answer help desk for your one rep.

RWG aims to be a community of watch enthusiasts. The feeling with most folks here is that we try to encourage an interest in the "hobby" as that is what is of interest to us.

If you do indeed only have a passing interest in just getting one nice watch and don't care about putting back to the "community" of knowledge...then most of the "pros" here don't want to spend their time answering questions that you can find the answer for yourself through searching: if you don't want to spend the time searching...why should we spend the time responding.

That being said...hopefully you got the info you needed. If you only want this one watch and that's it...fine...the Breguet will be fine.

Thanks Toad. Your Wall-Mart automatic watch is in the mail, enjoy :D Mike

Indeed, and that's the eternal problem. Those who spend a lot of time and effort on something because they have a genuine and enduring passion for it grow bored and annoyed with the rude and unfeeling passers-by who only want a quick hit, a fast answer and then move on, never to be seen again. The thing is though; you can't be passionate about all that many things at once (or maybe one can, but at least I can't) and as far as the remainder is concerned you often just want that quick hit or fast answer to a casual question - and so you end up like me, annoying other people just as I am annoyed in turn by them when they visit where I hang out.

However, before you get caught up in something and develop a passion you generally only have a casual interest in any subject and you (or rather, I) won't know for some time if it'll take root and bear fruit (or for that sake take over your life and ruin it completely). Hence any community that wants to remain alive and vibrant really ought to entertain rude noobs and take care not to turn anyone away lest they loose someone who could in time have become a great asset. Not that I have been treated badly by any means, nor do I anticipate becoming a great asset; I'm really just talking out loud to myself again. It won't do any good of course; tomorrow, next week or the week after I'll be back to thinking "&%

Well, who knows what might happen... Perhaps when the Breguet arrives it is nice enough to start a new passion, this time for replica watches. Stranger things have surely happened. In any case; yes indeed, I got all the info I was after and more, for which I am genuinely grateful to all and sundry. Looking very much forward to seeing what "real" replicas are all about, as opposed to the piece of thrash I have lying around somewhere.

And that's what we're all about. If you can, post some pics of it when arrives and your experience with the dealer...so at least others can benefit from your experience (either good or bad).

The watch will be a nice watch. The dial will be nice. AND...the Seagull movement with the display back is nice.

I'm constantly amazed at how nice some of these reps are...you just can't have ONE. ;)

As an additional note...the strap will suck. The rep leather straps...although real leather (not croc)...will suck. If you want that watch to sing...get a gen glazed croc strap of some quality, swap the buckle (the Breguet printing will obviously not be on the new strap)...and that watch will be brought to a new level.

Weeeeeell, Agrippa, not only have you received a warm and fuzzy Welcome by warm and fuzzy maxman (Wal-Mart must be waaaaaaaaay better than the average Swiss supermarket I am forced to go to) but you got first class or AAA-information from seasoned members which not every noob will get! :)

If you get hooked (which wouldn't surprise anybody around here) please consider getting that lovely orange member banner below your avatar.

And if not pls. at least quickly return and post a wrist shot of that newly acquired watch! B)

Yours kindly

Valerian

I'm constantly amazed at how nice some of these reps are...you just can't have ONE. ;)

You'll be happy to hear I'm thinking of two then, or maybe....no, I won't say that out loud. Still, obviously some corruption of the mind has occurred already.

As an additional note...the strap will suck. The rep leather straps...although real leather (not croc)...will suck. If you want that watch to sing...get a gen glazed croc strap of some quality, swap the buckle (the Breguet printing will obviously not be on the new strap)...and that watch will be brought to a new level.

Really? But they look so nice..... How about the leather straps sold separately by the dealers then, are they any good?

Weeeeeell, Agrippa, not only have you received a warm and fuzzy Welcome by warm and fuzzy maxman (Wal-Mart must be waaaaaaaaay better than the average Swiss supermarket I am forced to go to) but you got first class or AAA-information from seasoned members which not every noob will get! :)

I'm just a luck guy I guess, or else I found them on a good day. Or it could simply be my fabulously charming and winning personality. Yeah, that's the one I'll go for I think. :D

If you get hooked (which wouldn't surprise anybody around here) please consider getting that lovely orange member banner below your avatar.

Time will show, but no promises. On the other hand, if the watches (oh god, I'm speaking plural already....) turn out crap you should all expect the nasty watch police to come knocking on your doors forthwith!

And if not pls. at least quickly return and post a wrist shot of that newly acquired watch! B)

As mentioned above (but so easily lost in the rambling on and on) I'm waiting for a tax rebate, which will take another month or so to arrive. After that I'll do my utmost to get rid of all that nasty, horrible cash as fast as is humanly possible. However, once the watch (singular tense, must use singular tense!) is in hand I will certainly do what I can.

Edited by Agrippa

Really? But they look so nice..... How about the leather straps sold separately by the dealers then, are they any good?

As mentioned above (but so easily lost in the rambling on and on) I'm waiting for a tax rebate, which will take another month or so to arrive.

Yup...the moo crocs generally don't look the greatest on the dress watches. The moo crocs on the Breitlings are better...probably the best of the rep straps.

They're pretty thin and you'll see the pattern doesn't look the greatest.

The pic I posted of the VC Malte Chrono is using an upgraded gen croc strap. That's a nice strap...in the >$100 range...so expensive...but not crazy like a gen Breguet which will likely cost you $300 for the buckle alone...and another $300- $700 for the strap!!

As to tax rebate in a month...are you in Canada?

I dont know about this. Here I was feeling bad that this poor chap would not get any feed back. I received maybe three or four replys. on my first post :p I have to agree with the strap sanrio. More times than not they suck, and thats on a good day. Our strap/bracelet section can be a good place to look. I purchased my first strap for my Pam 250 @ Heroic 18. Beautiful strap and excellent service for around $100.00. There are many good straps to be found so take your time and look around. A strap can definitely make or brake your watch. Good luck :) Mike

Cheers Mike, I'll certainly have a look around here for nice straps. I certainly agree that letting a junky strap stay on an otherwise flash watch would be pretty damn silly. $100 more or less isn't the world either, for that sake.

How about the metal bracelets then, are they generally ok?

And yeah, this is going unbelieveably well for a first post thread!

:notworthy:

It's funny but the SS bracelets are usually very nice. The SS bracelets that came on my Omega PO and Pam 250 were of very good quality. Why the [censored] leather straps? I dont realy know. Im thinking it has to do with the factories that make these things. There tooling is for metal and the like, Im assuming. It would be painfuly obvious to have a realy nice watch on a crapy bracelet/strap. If your going to do it, might as well do it right. :) Mike