When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1st post, inc. obligatory noobish questions.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I have completely changed my opinion of this forum.

I am now convinced that this is the outer forecourt of the abyss, cleverly disguised as a forum of keen and friendly enthusiasts. Do not be deceives, for it is not so - it is a vortex of wickedness and an instrument if inquity, expressly designed bring forth the basest of animal desires in the human psyche! Let me say to the unwary traveller of the web who by unlucky happenstance falls into this den of sheerest moral decadence: FLEE NOW, FLEE SWIFTLY, BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE AND YOUR SOUL IS FOREVER LOST!!

Not convinced? Then by all means take my case in point: I posted here for the very first time not so much as 24 hours ago, sincerely, innocently and naively protesting my lack of any deeper interest in watches, and what happens? Not only do I already know the difference between the 2824-2 and 2892 movements; not only do know the meaning of DRSD and SOH; not only can I tell a cannon pinion from a mainspring barrel, oh no it doesn't stop there: I even know what epicycloidal wheels are!!

And as if all this was not already abundantly frightening, I now lust and drool obscenely and unseemly over no less than 5 timepieces! With custom made straps in vintage Mauser leather from Red12!!

It may be too late for me, but it need not be for you - flee while you can, flee now!!

- Agrippa

(a lost soul)

HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH...and if you have a wife/girlfriend/partner...you have to start buying them stuff too so they don't get [censored] off at you buying lots of watches. Then you get a watch box to hold her jewellery in class...I mean the watches...and then you realize you have spare spots in the box...can't have that...back to the watch sites...

HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH...and if you have a wife/girlfriend/partner...you have to start buying them stuff too so they don't get [censored] off at you buying lots of watches. Then you get a watch box to hold her jewellery in class...I mean the watches...and then you realize you have spare spots in the box...can't have that...back to the watch sites...

You know, that's my one consolation amidst my current misery and self-loathing - at least I'm single!

Welcome aboard.

I myself joined fairly recently and have found this site really informative and useful.

But because I have moved around the web in blissful ignorance before I came here I also had the opportunity to test a couple of dealers who definitely are not recommended here. Probably with good reason.

And yet I might suggest you to look at this Breguet as an alternative to your list: http://www.exactreplicas.com/breguet-silve...ca-Watches.html. This guy runs a campaign with 50% off (cupon code lastchance), bringing this watch to a total of app $110 shipped.

So here is why excactreplicas.com may not be fully recommended (in my experience):

Communication is hopeless.

It took ages for my order to get here, and I was beginning to wonder if it ever would arrive.

As for customer service, I have yet to test it. But I recon that with prices like these it is worth it to write a few off from time to time if needed.

However I have received 3 watches from him, 2 of which spot on and the third very close to the picture shown. Have had them succesfully pressure tested to 5 bar and used them. All worked fine. Rolex and Vacheron Constantin are very nice (except leather strap on VC), Audemars Piguet so-so (the latter a bit my own fault, as I now realise that I also do not like the one depicted on the site....)

So if you do buy here you can get some really cheap stuff to form a basis for your collection ..... and if you are anything like the rest of us you will end up with one!!

But you will need a lot of patience to get what you order.

Anyhow - good luck with your new acquisition(s).

Edited by mbjoer

Welcome aboard.

And yet I might suggest you to look at this Breguet as an alternative to your list: (xxx url deleted) . This guy runs a campaign with 50% off (cupon code lastchance), bringing this watch to a total of app $110 shipped.

Exact Replicas are known to be a problem and are considered by many to be scammers - you might get your watch, and it might be what it was advertised to be, but don't bank on it. Many people have either received overpriced junk or nothing at all. Stick to the recommended dealers here and on the other watch forums if you want to be sure of getting what you paid for...

I came only one click away from ording from Exactreplicas. I decided to do some research and thats how I found RWG. I came up on a complantsborad.com. There was over six pages of complants about Exactreplicas. Several people received nothing. Others received a crapy watch that they had to return. Then there were still others who received the wrong watch. I cant tell you how relieved I was that I chose to do some snooping around. So stick to the dealers that have done well here. :) Mike

The one question no one has answered is about winders. The watches you have been interested in so far all use the Sea-Gull ST19 MVT. Thi sis a handwind not an auto so a winder is not necessory. A hand wind is more suited to occaisional wear than an auto so is proberly a good choice for your "three times a year" dress watch. If the bug bites and you get some autos a timer is nice to have if you chop and change you daily wear. Try acetimer.com for the best deals on quality timers. Anything sold cheaper than theirs is most likely not going to last and/or be noisey. The Ace ones you can barely hear in most cases.

Col.

Welcome aboard.

Thanks a lot mate, glad to be here!

And yet I might suggest you to look at this Breguet as an alternative to your list: http://www.exactreplicas.com/breguet-silve...ca-Watches.html. This guy runs a campaign with 50% off (cupon code lastchance), bringing this watch to a total of app $110 shipped.

Thanks for the link, some very nice watches among the Breguets there. Reading what the other guys say I think there's no option but to get my primary purchase(s) from the guys represented here on RWG, but what I'll probably do is add on one of the Breguets from Exact as well and pretend I'm at the dog track, putting $100 on "Limp Larry" to win. The one you linked to is indeed a lovely piece and I also quite like this one. I'd actually quite like to get one of the tourbillion models, but I kinda assume that would only increase the risk of receiving nothing at all?

The watches you have been interested in so far

You really don't want to know how many watches I've been interested in so far.... For that sake, nor do I.

The one question no one has answered is about winders. The watches you have been interested in so far all use the Sea-Gull ST19 MVT. Thi sis a handwind not an auto so a winder is not necessory. A hand wind is more suited to occaisional wear than an auto so is proberly a good choice for your "three times a year" dress watch. If the bug bites and you get some autos a timer is nice to have if you chop and change you daily wear. Try acetimer.com for the best deals on quality timers. Anything sold cheaper than theirs is most likely not going to last and/or be noisey. The Ace ones you can barely hear in most cases.

Col.

Seriously though, thanks a lot for that info Col. The prices at Acetimer are certainly a lot better than anything else I've seen so far and if you say they're good then I'm sure they are just that. Quiet is certainly nice too. I'll likely get the smallest one and hope that I manage to stop when I've filled it up....

Do you have any idea if they watch straps are any good at all? Hard to see from the pics, but they look rather like the ones included with the replicas and which everyone state to be crap.

While I'm at it I I guess I may as well get a link adjuster and a spring bar tool, after which I'm hopefully all set and fully loaded. Or have I missed something?

Thanks folks, the info you keep pouring on me is deeply appreciated!

Go on, use my hanky. :p

I'd certainly not turn down a free present, but new watch or no new watch, this place has to be worth a tenner a month simply because of all the cool and friendly people who hang out here.

There are a few...and quite an international mix too. And the level of knowledge on watch stuff is phenomenal...really...blows the published material and genuine watch forums out of the water.

Go on, use my hanky. :p

I'd certainly not turn down a free present, but new watch or no new watch, this place has to be worth a tenner a month simply because of all the cool and friendly people who hang out here.

Seeing the way things are going for you I wont be suprised if you win the dam watch. In all honesty,I hope you do. Platinum man :D Mike

Don't forget to go HERE to register for the lotto and get your free ticket for the raffle of the PO chrono.

Done; and I even bought an additional ticket. Not quite sure why, since quite frankly it's not a watch that a stylish, olde worlde gentleman like yours truly would been seen dead with, but there you go. Then again, if I'm "lucky" there's always the Trade section I guess....

Edit: spelling error (oh the horror, the horror!!)

Done; and I even bought an additional ticket. Not quite sure why, since quite frankly it's not a watch that a stylish, olde worlde gentleman like your truly would been seen dead with, but there you go. Then again, if I'm "lucky" there's always the Trade section I guess....

You got it...and it supports the forum...and like any rep buying...the anticipation is half the fun. You never know when you'll need a piece to help you feel brutish...keep it in reserve!! :p