When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai Casebacks, Crown Guards And Lugs. Comparison

V

One of the most obvious differences between the rep and the gen is the CG but not face on but profile.

Face on, on the wrist they are almost identical.

99482-26547.jpg

Left gen, right rep

99482-26548.jpg

Up gen, down rep

99482-26549.jpg

Another thing though that NONE has ever mentioned is the thickness of the caseback..

Gen caseback is THICKER than the rep one and it IS visually obvious when you see the watches side by side and most important when you wear them because gen sits higher on your wrist.

I don't know if you will manage to see from those photos but in reality it is considerably more thick.

99482-26550.jpg

99482-26551.jpg

rep:

99482-26552.jpg

99482-26553.jpg

One of the most obvious differences between the rep and the gen is the CG but not face on but profile.

Face on, on the wrist they are almost identical.

Anyway you can take a pic of how the gen CG gets larger as it moves away from the case whereas the rep is all one thickness? I thought this was the coolest part of the gen CG, thick, but thinner at the case so you can still wind it with ease.

Anyway you can take a pic of how the gen CG gets larger as it moves away from the case whereas the rep is all one thickness? I thought this was the coolest part of the gen CG, thick, but thinner at the case so you can still wind it with ease.

Chris I don't understand what you mean in your first sentence... :blink: What do you want me to take photo of?

BTW.. The thinner CG (profile) is the rep one.. The thick is the gen

Just to point out that the H series gen watches shown here have the new type (old type!!!) CG - this is the same as the Pre-A type CG's only brushed. For the G and very early H series PAM's the standard CG is fine. Did not realise about the casebacks - very interesting as I've never noticed that before.

Great stuff.

This reminds me of an old story about Uri Geller: the spoon bender.

He agreed to have his performance in front of a scientist stalls, not in front of a conjurer stalls.

Noone is more skilled in rep flaws spotting than a rep lover.

Just to point out that the H series gen watches shown here have the new type (old type!!!) CG - this is the same as the Pre-A type CG's only brushed. For the G and very early H series PAM's the standard CG is fine. Did not realise about the casebacks - very interesting as I've never noticed that before.

Good point!

• 2 weeks later...
Just the comparison that I've been looking for! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

For a while, I thought that I would have to go buy a gen in order to make the comparison for myself...

I didn't know about the casebacks either but unless you're looking at side by side pics who's going to notice? Anyone who knows how thick panerais should be down to the millimeter will have already recognized your rep long before they stack it on top of their watch.

The crown guard problem is caused by the repmakers not making a new crown for the H series res--they just brushed the old ones.

V-

Great comparison.

Actually the casebacks are bigger on the H Series gens versus the G's. My bottom line is that I am staying away from the newer reps until someone gets the crown guards right. On the H my guess (and it is a guess) is that the change in the clear casebacks is more pronounced than on the solid casebacks. I have owned both gens and reps of the earlier models and the differences are not nearly as pronounced. Yes, a gen is a gen and in a different league but PAM is also getting smarter. Better crown guards, engraving in between the lugs, changing the spelling on engraved bezels between 250 and 251, etc.:)

PAM is also getting smarter. Better crown guards, engraving in between the lugs, changing the spelling on engraved bezels between 250 and 251, etc.:)

Pretty sson they're going to start putting holograms on the backs :D ...definitely true and a good observation. Richemont has some experience with their watches being repped, so we can expect more of this kind of stuff avery year. Actually, I dont mind it that much. I think our friends in China will be able to keep up with most of the obvious-on-the-wrist stuff....eventally. And my own perfectionism aside, I don't really give a rats ass about the unseen parts of the lugs or the backs of my watches. Since I don't get the "I brought my watch to Tourneau today" trip, who's going to see them? If Panerai can come up with stuff that makes rep as real scammers' lives miserable, more power to them.

I would confirm with what Mark (Finepics) has said. The comparison of the rep with a gen 'H' series highlights the faults with the rep 'H' series as the rep display back and crownguard were originally cast for the 'F' series, and were the correct shape and size then. However Panerai introduced the new larger (Pre-V not pre-A) style crownguard for the G series and onwards, to include the current I series. The rep problem relates only to the use of the older pattern parts with the H series sandwich dials. Similarly the caseback was correct for the F series and the rep back was originally designated F 2052/4000 etc.

The standard rep polished crownguard is similar to the genuine pre-A, A, B ......F series watches and is the correct shape and profile for that period.

CONCLUSION?? - We need a top quality reproduction of the current Panerai CG to suit the current and Pre-V style replicas, as there is little discernable difference between them.

• 3 weeks later...