When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken Tricompax Navi - Update

polexpete

Hi guys,

know you all been hanging out to know if a gen 7753 can be used in a rep case Tricompax Navitimer...

first you need a 7753 with a gen dial. Rep dial date window is too small....

navi2.jpg

Gen dial is too big for case so you have to sand around 1.2mm off the edge. This is a pretty beat up dial i'm using on this project to see if it can be done.....

navi3.jpg

Dial fits perfect....

navi4.jpg

After putting on hands fit spacer from A7750....

navi5.jpg

And voila a Franken Tricompax... we almost

navi10.jpg

Problem is the stem alignment in the case is around 1.2mm too low...

navi7.jpg

So i gotta remove the tube, re-drill the case and re-place the tube. The crown will cover the old hole which i will fill somehow...

Watch this space, i hope it can be done.... Here are the twins...

navi8.jpg

Cheers

P.

I admire your determination with this project, it has the potential to be a very very good Frankentimer!

May I suggest you use Quick-Steel or Chemical Metal to seal up the hole left after you re-drill the crown tube?

The other task is to find a decent dial. Not an easy feat in itself!

Thanks guys,

much appreciate the feedback and advice. Yes i will look for another dial but not too worried, as sander says it has a good vintage look, unless Importr you wanna sell me that awesome Arabic.... And yes i reckon Quick-Steel or Chemical Metal will do the trick.

Andreww, yeah could be a problem raising the crown the alternative is as Chefcook says try the 6-9-12 case or use a smaller crown if they exist.

Rep hands are the usual 7750 size. Hour/minute no problem. Subdials 2 out of 3 were perfect one needed a touch of cement. Large second hand needed broaching...

Will keep you posted

Cheers

P.

Andreww, yeah could be a problem raising the crown the alternative is as Chefcook says try the 6-9-12 case or use a smaller crown if they exist.

My first notion would be to try the 6-9-12 case. You already have one, so no pain if it doesn't work. After all, the 3-6-9 case had to have been made deeper to accommodate the transfer module. Seem to me that thats pretty close to the amount that you need to adjust your crown/stem. I'd start there.

My first notion would be to try the 6-9-12 case. You already have one, so no pain if it doesn't work. After all, the 3-6-9 case had to have been made deeper to accommodate the transfer module. Seem to me that thats pretty close to the amount that you need to adjust your crown/stem. I'd start there.

Hey Andreww,

yes i haven't tried the 6-9-12 case as the only one i ever had was used for my other Navi. I have a plethora of 3-6-9 cases and non of the other. I'm away at the moment but will try the other case as soon as i get home. Fingers crossed it will make the job so much easier...

Cheers

P.

To sum things up, I guess what you will need to do this properly is...

- Gen tricompax dial

- Rep Navitimer Serie Speciale case (or the two-tone 6-9-12 case)

- Rep Tricompax caseback

- Gen ETA 7753 movement

Now, if you could just find a gen Navitimer datewheel you'd be off to the races.

As a side note, the 7753 movement has no quick set date via the crown. You must advance the time to set the date, so this beauty would be best kept on a winder ;)

Great job polexpete, I had always wanted to do this myself but never knew that it would work for sure. Unfortunately, now that the price of 7753's have skyrocketed, a franken like this is likely well out of my budget. Should have been collecting the pieces years ago :(

To sum things up, I guess what you will need to do this properly is...

- Gen tricompax dial

- Rep Navitimer Serie Speciale case (or the two-tone 6-9-12 case)

- Rep Tricompax caseback

- Gen ETA 7753 movement

Now, if you could just find a gen Navitimer datewheel you'd be off to the races.

As a side note, the 7753 movement has no quick set date via the crown. You must advance the time to set the date, so this beauty would be best kept on a winder ;)

Great job polexpete, I had always wanted to do this myself but never knew that it would work for sure. Unfortunately, now that the price of 7753's have skyrocketed, a franken like this is likely well out of my budget. Should have been collecting the pieces years ago :(

Thanks guys for all your advice and encouragement. Andreww thanks for the summary and yes 7753's are hard to find these days and expensive but worth it if you get hold of one

Now i have to obtain another Rep Navitimer Serie Speciale to put my 6-9-12 back together so if anyone has one dead or alive

i'll take off of your hands. And i'm also after a gen tricompax dial is excellent condition...

Cheers

P.