When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam 229 Dsn vs Ultimate vs Gen

colorao

Hi I read the nice post of Rolli, and I want put a little more of light about this marvellous model 229, so difficult to see.

A little of History

At the first time you can bought Pam 781 Set Firenze (3 watches) they are the Firenze Specials PAM224, PAM228 & PAM229

3pam.jpg

Gens ( picture of Paneristi )

After you can buy alone the different models 224, 228, 229

All this model have blue dials and their caseback the firenze boutique door.

06-1.jpg

Dial

Anyone is ok, the gen dial is a mix Dsn vs Ultimate

Caseback

The Dsn caseback is better no coments :( and the Ultimate caseback it�s more closer but has some stupids wrong spellin like Paneria intead of Panerai and the wrong small watches

pan200811190305.gif

For me the best is a 229 Ultimate and change the crown

Pictures: Dsn vs Ultimate

Imagen006.jpg

Dsn

Imagen008-1.jpg

Ultimate

Imagen009.jpg

Gen

Imagen065.jpg

Imagen068.jpg

Dsn, Gen, Ultimate

P4230037.jpg

Dsn, Gen, Ultimate

P4230041.jpg

Gen, Dsn, Ultimate

P5010024.jpg

P4230031.jpg

Dsn, gen

P5010019.jpg

Dsn , Ultimate

P5010022.jpg

Gen, Ultimate

P5010025.jpg

I hope you enjoy. ;)

Blimey what a trio you have there, thats awesome to see them all like that............ WOW

Thanks for putting the comparison together.

ST4

Fantastic post. You just made up my mind about which I'd be going with. Best comparison I've seen on these models. Thank you B)

Excellent post. No doubt to me that the Ultimate edges out DSN on the date(by a very very wide no contest margin) crown, Crown Guard.

I have decided for my next project to emulate Rolli's 229 project and try to have Rex do as many of the same mods as my budget will allow. Going to substitute the LH CG for the V because of costs (they are however identical) already have a couple T crowns but I hope to find a palp auto instead and Rex or Vac will do the relume, and of course a gen Eta valjoux 7750

Great comparison!

Question--the Ultimate dial seems to have more of a "purple" dial than the Gen or DSN. This has been mentioned/photographed in other threads. Is this true with yours? What do you think.

Regardless of dial color, to me--it's sort of a draw between the two reps...

DSN has a better dial ("6" is better, markers better, "L Swiss L" is placed better, and color more accurate), better hands, more accurate CB, and Superlume...

Ultimate has better CG, Crown, Cyclops and Font...

So, the question becomes--what can you live with? What mods would you do most easily?

Again, thx--looking forward to your response on dial color.

;) RSM

Here's the color disparity I'm talking about, where the DSN and Gen have the same/similar color dial--but the Ultimate is more "purplish" for some reason... (all shots appear taken with direct light, to show dial color/texture...)

Genuine (recently listed/sold on Paneristi)

1247432643JPG.jpg

DSN (mine)

DSC_0006-8.jpg

"Ultimate" (forum member's)

watchstuff124.jpg

This color issue has been well-documented... To me, it's sort of a deal-breaker. Also, note the "L Swiss Made L" placement on the DSN and Gen versus the Ultimate.

As a result, I bought the DSN. Here's my DSN--photo is taken under a "tent"--the result makes the dial look more "blue" and flat. The thing that's interesting is DSN appears to have updated his date font recently. This one appears to be larger and more bold than his previous versions... (having owned a number of them... including 2 DSN 104's and his 089...) Anyway, you be the judge:

DSC_0001-12.jpg

;) RSM

Edited by RedSoxMan

you all did forget to mention,

davidsens movement in all his auto pams is the old 7750b1 and no way to change with a gen swiss valjoux 7750.

the 7750b1 has a taller measurement than the swiss 7750.

different is the cartel ultimate 229.

the inner case measurement is perfect made for a swap with a gen swiss valjoux 7750.

my watchmaker did this modification for me.

rolli

Regardless

I need one!!

Great post.

My old DSN 229 is looking less and less perfect....

Does anyone else notice that the second hands on both the Ultimate and DSN are slightly off from the gen? It varies from picture to picture but both reps' second hand seeming slightly thicker? and longer?

Thanks again for the side by side by side...

Sorry by my delayed answers but I�m so busy these days, but if you have new question I�m happy to help you.

Ok !!! the colour of dial , like I told before, I think is is mix DSN and Ultimate , look this new picture and you see that Ultimate dial is purple but no so purple

Imagen041.jpg

I think the principal diferences are:

1- The colour of dial but � how many people has 229 original ? :rolleyes: only 100 in the world

I think a good option is ultimate

2- Other diference is the number in gen are like yellow-greenish by the lumen, and the replic are white ( looks pictures )

3- And other important diference is the Crown in Ultimate is more high but you can change ( looks pictures )

Gen with blue coco strap, and Ultimate with light brown Toscana

Imagen050.jpg

GEN

Imagen048.jpg

Ultimate Cartel

Imagen051.jpg

GEN

Imagen055.jpg

Ultimate Cartel

Imagen052.jpg

GEN

Imagen053.jpg

Ultimate Cartel

Imagen040.jpg

I hope help you :)

Edited by colorao

in the majority of cases camera shots distort the blue.

i would say the purple color on the ultimate 229 dial is very very small and not mentionable.

for me it's a very unique blue.

the davidsen 229 blue is more a boring blue.

that's why my vote was very clear for the ultimate 229 blue.

see my 229 topic.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=99371&hl

btw. the gen was produced only with 33 pieces as single box.

rolli

Exceptional review/comparison & info here, thanks colorao!

It's me, or the Ultimate CG is remarkably different from gen, with a very thinner upper trail (i.e., CG lever placed more upwards)?

In a related note, I just purchased and received a DSN 228 GMT. It was suppose to have the same coloured dial as the 229, and his PhotoBucket pictures along with the "latest" pics that he sent me showed the blue GMT dial. However, I received the watch and it had a hideous and shiny purple dial (no hint of blue) that is worse than the cartel's. He's said that this is the dial for this model from now on, so I don't know how long it will be until his 229 turns purple. :)

EDIT: DSN is sending a replacement dial for the 228 GMT, that he says is definitely blue, so...

• 3 years later...