When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

You know that we're all insane, right?

RedSoxMan

This isn't so much a "rep" watch observation--as much as it is a general thought about those of us obsessed with watches...

It really struck me today that most people don't notice/or care about watches... they really could care less. It also occurred to me that all I wanted to do was leave the lovely family party I was attending--and log onto watch forums.

We're a finite little universe of watch freaks who--thanks to the modern technology of the internet--have found each other. These forums validate what--to most of us--is a clinical obsession, an "idee fixe" of the highest order... Yup, most of us (me included) are nuts. :animal_rooster:

Anyway, that is all.

RSM

Well thats me sorted anyway. :)

I find I try to fit the daily things I need to do around my online time, but I have to be very careful about it so my family doesn't suspect. :D

Ken

I do not think there is anything wrong with us. The reason I say that is because I feel that being passionate about something is a quality more humans should have. Be it baseball, basketball, or what ever else you like to pursue, for example for me, my son,dad,mom,brother and sister, golf, girls and watches in that order is whats inportamt to me.

The problem I think is when people place hobbys or objects before family and friends.

I agree 100%, RSM. Hanging out at the pool today with my wife, couldn't stop using the iphone to surf RWG, TZ & the occasional check on RG status.

Pathetic

I agree. I seem to be spending more and more time here and more and more $ on watches, gen's and reps. Then again everyone needs a hobby right? Why not this one! There's worse ways to blow your hard earned cash.... Like in Vegas for example!

Hey that's a thought, maybe we should have an annual RWG get together in Vegas.... Just a thought... just putting it out there... Mind you none of us would have any money left by the time we got there but we'd sure look the part from the wrist down!

A

I think you can get friends and family to understand though, on How Its Made they just did a segment at the Blancpain compay on how they make the Le Brassus Tourbillon (I can't find it on youtube or anything yet, it just aired on the third). I was watching it with my cousin and my uncle and although the 150k USD price-tag was something of a shock, they were totally enamored with the intricacies of making the watch. My cousin even commenting that he thought watchmaking would be an awesome job to have.

Well in my case, I don't spend any "extra" time reading these forums. I browse the forums only when I'm already doing work on the computer. Let's say I'm converting some videos, updating a site, burning a DVD/CD, backing-up, uploading or archiving files - rather than stare at a progress bar, I'll do some forum reading or posting. The same goes when I'm feeling "brain freeze" kicking in while working on a project.

As far as modding, assembling or just critiquing the physical watch(es), when other family members are determined to rot their brains watching television, I'm giving the watches some attention in the background. I haven't actually "watched" a TV program since the Sopranos ended.

For sure there are worse hobbies - but here is my deep thought (with Jack Handy):

is it not ironic that the we waste so much time discussing objects that are meant to track time, presumably so that we maintain control of our our use of time?

RG & RWG has made me miss meetings and other events because of 4:00 am signoffs.

This isn't so much a "rep" watch observation--as much as it is a general thought about those of us obsessed with watches...

It really struck me today that most people don't notice/or care about watches... they really could care less. It also occurred to me that all I wanted to do was leave the lovely family party I was attending--and log onto watch forums.

We're a finite little universe of watch freaks who--thanks to the modern technology of the internet--have found each other. These forums validate what--to most of us--is a clinical obsession, an "idee fixe" of the highest order... Yup, most of us (me included) are nuts. :animal_rooster:

Anyway, that is all.

RSM

I prefer 'obsessed' to 'insane'.

Yep. I browse the forums on my phone while pushing my toddler in the stroller. If it wasn't so difficult to push and type on the tiny touch screen keyboard and risk crashing into people I'd be posting as well...

Edited by gazumi

Well in my case, I don't spend any "extra" time reading these forums. I browse the forums only when I'm already doing work on the computer. Let's say I'm converting some videos, updating a site, burning a DVD/CD, backing-up, uploading or archiving files - rather than stare at a progress bar, I'll do some forum reading or posting. The same goes when I'm feeling "brain freeze" kicking in while working on a project.

As far as modding, assembling or just critiquing the physical watch(es), when other family members are determined to rot their brains watching television, I'm giving the watches some attention in the background. I haven't actually "watched" a TV program since the Sopranos ended.

You've been missing out on Dexter, it's brilliant :thumbs:

I think what myself and wife have observed and agreed upon, I could have far worse obsessions/hobbies than watches. However, despite the horology, the forum can suck you in and take over a good part of your waking existence at first if you are not careful...........its that back & forth ever increasing camaraderie starting from a common thread of interest and then finding yourself shooting beyond that, into absorbing & living all things watch-talk. Eventually for what I've seen of all the forum oldtimers, finding the balance between online and offline life eventually finds all of us and sinks in.............aaah, but sometimes it takes years for some, so good luck to all the newcomers!

Oh this is a way better hobby then most. My friend Snowboard.. well did until he made his back useless after a big jump.. well crash.. So we rule! (ehh)

Anyways its a lurking addiction. I had a couple of weeks of the forums and thought i was cured... then one day i just had to check in again to se if any new pams were out...

RedSoxMan is very astute...for the amount of time, money, and passion that are all poured into the hobby there is generally little public attention paid to the results. So if anyone thinks that a Hublot with a ceramic bezel will get you laid, then that fella is in for some unfotunate news and possible a protective order. I think I can always tell the members who are truly obsessed because they are eager to show off their multiple briefcases of watches and proudly proclaim that they are unworn and in pristine condition.

My guiding principle is never to buy more than I would wear AND always buy the better quality items. That should keep me from sinking into Dante's 5th stage. Oh and so long as I can admire my watch at the dog park or while pounding out a mundane email at work, then I can achieve inner peace! :)

Tony