When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Japanese OS20 Quartz movement - any good?

kevnick80

That is a quite OK movement.- Miyota.

One thing to be aware of, is to not try to change the date, around midnight. Once the movement starts to enter date change mode, (and they do this at different levels, dependent on the series), you do not touch the settings.

You WILL damage the internals, to the point of replacing the movement.

Best not to try to date change between 2100 and 0300.

Offshore

Can assure you, that Japanese quartz are viewed as better than average. ( Miyota- Seiko et al)

Probably only Swiss....ETA and the like, are superior.

The good thing is that you can get most replacements for under $20, although some of the chronos will run a bit more.

Offshore

thanks for your help mate!!

i bought a couple of automatic rolex reps when i was in thailand, all blinged up watches, but the movement never did work once i got back to the uk. just scared that japanese quartz movements are no good - am i wrong??

thanks

I've owned Seikos, Casios, Pulsars and other Japanese watches with (presumably) Japanese movements. They've always been perfectly accurate until damaged. The last one I owned was damaged when the battery was replaced and moisture got inside the watch.

Where are the Timex movements from? Those are perfectly accurate in my experience too.

It's a very reliable, bulletproof movement.

Offshore - Are you sure about the date change? Have had around 40 reps with this movement (and OS10s and OS60s) and didn't know about the date thingy and set the date lots of times around midnight... Never had a problem. Anyway, it's better not to do it and DON'T have a problem than trying it and MAY have a problem...

Greetz.

@yodap,

I have seen different versions of these movements.

Some have an instant change at 2400, and these obviously are not a problem.

Some take quite some time to cycle thru the date change, and it is these that you need to be careful with.

Maybe some are Chinese copies :rolleyes: JK.

Offshore

Thanks for the heads-up Offshore, mine were instant change ones, they started to flip over at about 23:55.

And yes I've also owned several ones with the copy movements, same functions, just not miyota signed inside...

Well, I guess in a short time the chinese will rep their own products as well, so be aware og rep A7750's... :D

I had a Porsche and Baume Mercier quartz with this movement (at least it is inscribed as this) after I got tired of malfunctioning mechanicals.

Neither of them made 6 months. In each case the watch had been off the wrist for a over month and was just dead when I picked it up.

Replacements are cheap and easy to pick up and are not especially difficult to replace. (Though I did carelessly manage to lose a second hand on the Porsche, and have just inquired in Watch Repairs if anyone knows its size)

• 12 years later...