When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBW 1680 picture

Pugwash

Here's my still-unfinished MBW 1680 project.

1680-05-640.jpg

click to embiggen

One day, I'll finish it, hopefully. Maybe one of you lot would like to finish it for me. :)

Very nice :good: When you say finish it, what did you have in mind to still do? Unless you wanted to really age the case and dial, I'd've said it was finished :lol: Good to see you back on the forum :drinks:

Very nice :good: When you say finish it, what did you have in mind to still do? Unless you wanted to really age the case and dial, I'd've said it was finished :lol: Good to see you back on the forum :drinks:

The dial is fine. No ageing needed.

Work done so far:

2842 (slow-beat)

gen tropic

gen crown

gen tube

CGs

aged bezel insert with acrylic pearl

Work still needed:

dial needs shimming as datewheel drags

I have gen springsbars to fit - drilling needed

cleaning of stuff like hands and dial

... and I'm sure there's more. I'd prefer a less aged bezel insert, tbh.

Work done so far:

2842 (slow-beat)

gen tropic

gen crown

gen tube

CGs

Work still needed:

Ahh, so mainly just little but time-consuming stuff... I have to admit, I've got to agree with Mellus about the dial. Don't get me wrong, I love how the 1680 dials look brand-spanking-new (way nicer than modern sub dials) but, if you're going to have the case aged (bearing in mind this would be an appx 30 year old watch, that's my one criticism: that it's 'too pristine', and could do with a few dings...) it wouldn't hurt to bake the dial a little. Maybe not much, or even as dark as Mellus' Explorer dial, but just a little... Of course, that's entirely up to you :) Regardless of what you do, it's still an awesome watch :good:

Another view:

1680-06-640.jpg

Click, as always, to embiggen.

As before :good:

But, as before, I feel the case could do with a few dings, and the dial could do with a little baking to better recreate the age such a watch should be :) The insert looks a bit too aged in comparison to the rest of it, IMHO :)

I really don't have a problem with Pug's white markers on his 1680. But that's because I have a gen 1680 from 1978 that has the same white (tritium) markers- they don't glow, but they're still a beautiful white. I don't know why some turn yellow and some stay white. But I sure like my white markers. I don't know if more exposure to the sun make them turn yellow or what...

I agree with Pug, fix the DW clearance issue, drill the lugholes and put in some gen springbars and it's a great watch.

I think I also adviced you to get the white dial version (instead of the red that can be spotted as a rep instantly).

Was I right or was I right? :D

PS: Those cgs are excellent.

I think I also adviced you to get the white dial version (instead of the red that can be spotted as a rep instantly).

Was I right or was I right? :)

You were right. So very right. :)

I'm back in modding mood, so I hope to finish this one off finally.

Looking good, Pugs!

As for white tritium markers...

IMG_4822.jpg

IMG_4839.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

IMG_1379.jpg

:g:

Those are all original. No relume work, etc.

The tone and color of the tritium is not dependant on age, per se; rather, the tritium may change in these attributes from exposure to humidity and other elements. This is why an original dial in a well sealed and water/air tight 30 year old watch can still have white indicies/markers, whereas a replacement dial that's been sitting in a parts bin for 10 years can have creamy off white to dark coffee toned markers.

Work done so far:

2842 (slow-beat)

gen tropic

gen crown

gen tube

CGs

Work still needed:

Very nice.

How much you spent on this project?

Thank you.

Archimede

Pug, i vote for a not so fadded insert, a better pearl, maybe slosh it around in some coins for a while, fix the date wheel spacing, (i have a few spacers if you need one, ill give it to you, or you could use an o ring via the hardware store?) and call it done, i personaly like the clean look, but that may be that i tend to over bake the dials... nice job it looks great!

Very nice.

How much you spent on this project?

Thank you.

Archimede

In all honesty, I've never added it up.

However, I got the MBW 1680 from the stall in Bangkok.

The gen Tropic, crown and tube cost whatever they ucually cost.

ETA2842, not too bad. $100-$130 or so

Bezel insert from a member here.

I probably spent less cash than others have, but mine has taken a very long time to get to this point. :)

... and yes, the CGs took hours in front of the TV with jewellers' files and rouge, but they're as good as I'm going to get them. I filed the base down, where the tube screws in, a mod usually missed by other modders.

In all honesty, I've never added it up.

However, I got the MBW 1680 from the stall in Bangkok.

The gen Tropic, crown and tube cost whatever they ucually cost.

ETA2842, not too bad. $100-$130 or so

Bezel insert from a member here.

I probably spent less cash than others have, but mine has taken a very long time to get to this point. :)

... and yes, the CGs took hours in front of the TV with jewellers' files and rouge, but they're as good as I'm going to get them. I filed the base down, where the tube screws in, a mod usually missed by other modders.

Thank you for your prompt response and congratulations for your pipsqueak. :D