When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

...the best Rep in the world?!?

I have to say- Projects like this are never cheap, nor are they easy :)

There comes a point where money becomes less of a determining factor, and simply being able to complete a project to see it through to the end is the motivation to finish. This is especially true when you've got a year+ worth of time invested into the project; that's something that is oft times not taken into account in the total spend, and that's a resource you can never get back. Besides... When a project is spread out like this, picking up parts here and there is a little less impacting in terms of cost; certainly not the same as paying that amount all at once. The total amount looks big in the overall picture, but when spread out, it's not so bad- Especially since we're talking gen parts here. And significantly less than the gen's $17k price tag.

Much respect for Marcus' work on this. Expensive? Yes. But exclusivity has it's price ;)

Wow, that looks really good.

However I must point out that the Tachymetre bezel looks off, it is not the correct style for the Themes dial, and belongs to an older generation that had dot markers.

The genuine of this can be had for about $11K-13K for used, but the time and heart that goes into crafting one of these is something different...

naja - ganz nett ....

Dito.

On question about why using MBW case:

There is a german Forum where Maria aka "MBW" is presented. So he's the god of reps for the most members there, and everything he's selling (that means all versions of reps) he calls MBW, and everyone there thinks that he's buying a over the top rep, but in real there are some really bad ones for a lot of money!

So the members from this forum will always use for a project MBW as base - with correct crown position or not - it is a MBW! :D

BTW, a member of that forum told me this story...

Dito.

On question about why using MBW case:

There is a german Forum where Maria aka "MBW" is presented. So he's the god of reps for the most members there, and everything he's selling (that means all versions of reps) he calls MBW, and everyone there thinks that he's buying a over the top rep, but in real there are some really bad ones for a lot of money!

So the members from this forum will always use for a project MBW as base - with correct crown position or not - it is a MBW! :D

BTW, a member of that forum told me this story...

exactly :D

and these members are actually proud and call it "elite forum" :D :D :D

anyway at least a hope they will stop posting in German here :)

cheers,

Frank

Guest Sql_pl

So it makes me wonder. If MBW wasn't used because of the correct crown position then why? CN one is better with its sandwich gen-like construction with screws and bolts instead of MBW Glued-on bezel....

You have to admire the persistence for taking on and completing a project like this. MBW Frankens with gen movements of this sort used to sell for $3400+ several years ago or so I have heard...

but...

no gen crown

no gen tube

no gen tachybezel

no gen hands

Edited by opcrown

So it makes me wonder. If MBW wasn't used because of the correct crown position then why? CN one is better with its sandwich gen-like construction with screws and bolts instead of MBW Glued-on bezel....

My guess (and it is a guess so the builder of this wonderful project can weigh in) started with the seconds at 9 because that was what was available when he started the project. Also MBW had done a 6 piece limted edition along the same lines using original movements and dials but more rep parts and so you had something to start with as an example. I built one using the case, dial and hands from an MBW which was being parted out and adding my own movement. Here is the original MBW when it was offered:

ap6MMBW.jpg

Marcus took it to a whole other level adding gen hands, crown, etc. :)

I am now working on another one trying to use the seconds at 12 version. It will probably be a couple of weeks before I know whether it will fit. No matter which one you use it will require having to remill the case, reset the crown hole and potentially fine tuning the inner bezel.