When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How small are Daytonas?

fcaap_dan

you know me ken, I have no problem with paying for something nice. I was just giving this a try before I buy a less than reliable seconds at six. even if this is overly small I don't mind. the two tone doesn't look right on me. Silix's site hasn't been updated yet. I got what I ordered in a timely fashion. No regrets. SS is more me, but the TT is so pretty.

I'll get some dimensions of this tomorrow. Just guessing the bracelet isn't more thab 3/8".

I was really surprised when I received Stephane's Daytona back then. Surprised how small it is.

It's not the actual size, 40mm... but how small it wears. It's a lot like Explorer II in that regard. ExpII is also 40mm watch but it wears much smaller than Sub and GMT (just as HaloArchive stated). It's the smooth bezel. And on Daytona those relatively large pushers make the watch head look even smaller.

I don't know why the trend is like that these days... people think that watch has to be HUGE to be impressive. Nothing could be further from the truth (imho). Daytona is a legendary watch and the white dial version has a lot of charm and elegance. It's not a small watch, it's just not XXL like many trendy watches. 1-2mm more to the diameter probably wouldn't hurt though. :)

the first time i saw a daytona in person i couldnt believe how small it was compared to the pics i've seen. The whole face of the watch and crystal looked more flat than in the pics. I've seen more women than men wearing them for some reason, and it doesnt look too huge for a woman to wear. Never seen a girl wear a full size SMP

i have to admit i was surprised how small the daytona is. i guess i should have researched a bit more before i bought one from the Zigmeister. i do agree with everything said and i really am starting to fall for it. it really is one smart watch.....now all i need to do now is get a decent strap for it.

A friend of mine (who lives a little far from me), when he knew I had a great looking daytona (TT 14k black dial with golden "not-filled" but just outlined subdials) was so enticed, he ended up getting it (NOW HERE IS THE INTERESTING PART): when he receives the watch he immediately calls me saying I sent him a ladies watch! He kept on pestering me for 3 weeks saying he was tempted to ship it back as it was totally impossible that Daytonas would be that small!

With websites and other proof I managed to convince him to keep the piece but to this day (a year after) he is still not fully convinced!!! :giveup:

Once again, I find myself swimming against the current of prevailing opinion. I have always thought the modern Daytona is, if anything, on the large side, at least for my 7" wrist

pinkjeans022a1.jpg

But, to be fair, I sold my Pams long before the big watch fad caught on in the early 00s, because, on my wrist, I thought they looked like the watch equivalent of these

bigshoes.jpg

Ubi, Im trying like heck to find a rep of that white faced, black ringed subdial Daytona. If you know where to find one, shoot me a PM :D

I ended up resorting to have to build my own, since there aren't any decent reps. So...

1) El Primero 16520 Daytona case

2) El Primero 400 movement

3) Gen dial

4) Gen hands

5) Gen bezel

6) Gen crown and tube

Etc. etc...

IMG_4445.jpg

IMG_4480.jpg

IMG_5042.jpg

IMG_5047.jpg

Fun projects, but not cheap...

Guest HaloArchive

Ubi, your're telling me that there is no rep of the white watch with black subdial rings? I dont care if it is a bad rep or not, I just like the dial on that watch!