When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do you shave?

Admin

Well, I am going to start off here then; My mother recently finished her education to become a skin care therapist (or something like that). A couple of weeks ago she showed up at our house with some weird looking bottles and tubes and told me that she wanted me to try some shaving cream + some 100% natural after shave balm. "Hell, no!" was my initial reaction. I've been using shaving foam for the last 20 years and I didn't see the need to change. Anyway, I did try it and I was so disappointed. I LOVED it. (Don't you just hate it when your mother still knows best :D) The shaving cream just made a thin, oily white layer on my skin that made the razor glide really well. It is supposed to prevent razor burns and ingrown hair. Don't have tu much of a problem with any, but any problems I've had are all gone. So now I am hooked. Recently ordered some shaving cream from Anthony Logistics + after shave balm and I have to admit that I am really satisfied with it. It contains some peppermint leaf extract (peppermint oil, I guess) so I am left with a really refreshing feeling when I have shaved. Anybody else have any experiences with this stuff?

Hmm, i think you might be doing it wrong. I am a recent convert myself, used to shave with a Braun electric shaver, but ever since I tried the old-fashioned ways, I only use it on very very limited occasions.

Unless this is another type of a shaving creme, you are supposed to use a brush to make your foam out of it. The most often used brush is made of Badger, with different grades of it. I wont go into details, but the different types of badger do make a difference - the finer and denser the hairs are, the easier/faster it is to get nice thick foam. I have a silvertip one and I love it.

So, this far we have a badger brush and shaving creme (the other alternative is shaving soap, its a bit different to make foam out of, but the procedure is the same.. creme is pretty much the soap with more "water" in it). Next you need a mug or a small cup in which you add a small speck of creme (say a small dot, 1cm across, or of course a bit more). Wet your brush with warm water and start making circular motions with it in the cup, no pressure needed. After a bit, foam should start showing up. Pretty much the only factor that dictates how easy you get to this stage is the amount of water on the brush, too much and it will take ages, too little and you will have to add more water.

Once you have nice, thick foam, you apply it to your face (again circular motion) with the brush. Wait a few minutes for the hairs to soften and start shaving :) .

The deluxe version of this is to first put some hot towels on your face, then make the foam and apply. The result is better, but then again, towels each time you shave?? Not for me ;) .

Do you use the modern razors with the 500 blades, or are you looking for alternatives? I'm currently shaving with a double-edge safety razor with Feather blades (Japanese, supposedly the sharpest around, also not forgiving, its so easy to cut yourself..). I also have a straight razor, but I havent really tried it out yet..

There are plenty of sources on info for wet-shaving the traditional way, I could post some links.

Edited by Neuuubeh

Same as Neuuubeh, silver-tip badger brush, creme and after shave balm. Once you experience the luxurious feeling of shaving this way, you never want to go back. I use the 500 blade type since I'm tho thenthitive!

mbshave.jpg

BTW, I find myself not using any aftershave since I'm shaving like that. Yeah, I know it sounds frigging girly, but when I shave with the electric razor, my skin feels so DAMN dry afterwards that I HAVE to put something on it. With shaving cream (well I use cream + a bit of soap, mix it up! :D ), this feeling is gone.. And there are so many kinds of soaps, cremes and scents and what not :angel:

*manly deep voice on* Lets go drink some beer and then get in a fight guys!!

Omni, if you haven't tried single blade, I do recommend it. Isnt scary either! Unless you press down too hard, it shouldn't irritate the skin at all.. If you feel resistance, change the blade, or get sharper ones :D . Takes some getting used to tho, so its slower in comparison, at least until you get used to it.

Question tho, do you shave always with the Montblanc watch? :D

Edited by Neuuubeh

Neuuubeh: I think I have 40 year on you and have always used razors through the years, never electric. Single, double, triple, quadruple, + etc. ..... really can't see how they can put anymore on the head! Anyways, no, I'm not going back to single blade as I think you get a better shave with multiple blades, but its just a matter of what you want to experience. I don't believe all things retro are good or cool, maybe when I was your age but not now. Retro now means back to when I was young at this age, not some unknown time before I was born, therefore its like "been there, done that already" attitudes of the oldsters, since I don't feel old, I also don't want to be reminded. Its like clothes, all fashions are just regurgitated, what I wore in the 70's came back as "in style" but you wouldn't catch me in them again, I look and go, what the hell were we thinking then! Enough of that diatribe............

The aftershave balms I use are also creme and although my face may not be dry, you can definitely feel the slight sting when applying, it just adds to the soothing feel, an extra pampering, which also adds to the overall luxurious shave experience. I agree though, hot towels is just too much hassle unless someone else is doing it for me. And no, I don't shave with the MB, that was just a backdrop shot I had on hand for that watch but it seemed to fit this subject, a shaving topic in a watch forum.

Guest HaloArchive

I use a Gillette fusion 50 million blade razor with the single straight on the back and, some gilette shaving cheam for sensative skin. Nice and close let me tell ya. Those blades get closer than when I have the barber professionally do it with a single blade on occasion.

For those days when I have time, I have a lovely straight razor :)

I have to admit, I only tend to use electric clippers/shavers these days as well :D

WTF?! :shock:

Are men with electric razors allowed to wear non-ticking watches? :)

Just joking, of course. I use a badger brush, shaving soaps of many origins and (only when I have the time) a straight razor (like the one Mr. Blonde used in Reservoir Dogs).

Real men read here: Razor FAQ

Val.

Real men read here: Razor FAQ

The first one on that link seem quite appropriate for the WIS here "If you would rather wind your watch than stand in line at the drugstore for a new battery - You might be a straight razor guy"

Ahhhh, straight razor, but you can't take it with you in your airplane carry on luggage now, any more than you can take a liquor flask, its those little things we all miss traveling nowadays.

+1 on the badger brush recommendation, it does seem to help get the hairs standing up and away from the skin :)

I've tried the 100000 blade razors and I can't get on with them - my face isn't flat, it has contours! lol So a two blade disposable thing with decent lubricating strip does me fine.

They're also a hell of a lot cheaper. Even if you were only to use each razor once (which is silly as you can get 3 decent shaves out of them) it'd still only be about

Well, I am going to start off here then; My mother recently finished her education to become a skin care therapist (or something like that). A couple of weeks ago she showed up at our house with some weird looking bottles and tubes and told me that she wanted me to try some shaving cream + some 100% natural after shave balm. "Hell, no!" was my initial reaction. I've been using shaving foam for the last 20 years and I didn't see the need to change. Anyway, I did try it and I was so disappointed. I LOVED it. (Don't you just hate it when your mother still knows best :D ) The shaving cream just made a thin, oily white layer on my skin that made the razor glide really well.

Firstly, good on you for not being embarrassed to admit you're still taking grooming tips from your mum....... *snigger* :pardon:

Secondly, weird-looking, 100% natural, oily white layer? :unsure: Almost certainly the infamous Norwegian formula, you know with 80% whale semen :shock:

Thirdly, here's my own preferred 'home' choice of Sweeney Todd gear these days....

acquadiparmashave.jpg44119.jpg

When travelling I'm afraid to say it's a little less indulgent - silver/green Gillette razor and tiny travel size L'Oreal foam (much thicker than most, almost a light cream)

m3prz.jpgsk62i.jpg

I usually just drag out of bed, grab a bottle of grapseed oil out of the kitchen on my way to my custom steam sauna, which has already been running for half an hour since I installed that automatic timer last fall. I then grab my trusty gillette mach 3 turbo razor, walk up the step ladder, and after some effort suspend myself spread eagle from kevlar and vinyl "polynesian basket" suspension harness I got my wife for our 7 year anniversary. I then empty the aforementioned bottle of oil on myself from the head down, and then set about the process of Contort, Shave, Inspect, and repeat, until I am satisfied that the speed of my morning swim will not be hampered by the drag created by unwanted body hair. Before installing an array of fog-proof multi-directional mirrors this past January, this process would take hours as I had to do everything by touch; worst of all, it left my unmentionables scarred to the point that my wife was concerned I had become a "cutter" do deal with the day to day stresses of married life. Upon completing my shave, I use the built in remote on the harness to activate the truck wench my father in law helped me install in the attic last SuperBowl weekend and delicately lower myself to the floor, where I've prepared plastic drop cloth (the type you use to protect your flooring while painting), and use hand held suction cups to drag myself to my saltwater lap pool. Generally the salt water takes care of the oil, though it has begun to gum up the pool filtration system. If any of you uses this same system, or one like it to shave, I'd appreciate you sharing your tips for dealing with this particular issue.

HA!...Actually, I just use the Mach 3 Turbo and Nivea 3 shower gel. Sorry for that glimpse into my demented sense of humor, but I've had 3 5-hour energies today, so I am firing on more cylinders than I actually have. :)

Edited by tenacious_b

Secondly, weird-looking, 100% natural, oily white layer? :unsure: Almost certainly the infamous Norwegian formula, you know with 80% whale semen :shock:

Too funny! :lol:

When travelling I'm afraid to say it's a little less indulgent - silver/green Gillette razor and tiny travel size L'Oreal foam (much thicker than most, almost a light cream)

Docblackrock: I refuse to give up the indulgence since I consider traveling nowadays an indulgence all in itself. I travel with the Edwin Jagger aluminum travel badger brush because of its light weight and breakdown configuration (brush stores in the handle).

travel-brush.jpg

I shave in the shower, after washing because I was told the hot water and steam are good for preparing my skin. I use a Gilette Sensor Excell and whatever cream happens to be in the shower, usually female stuff. I have a small cachet of different aftershaves and balms I like to switch up using. Seems like the cheaper ones feel better than the more expensive ones. Since razor heads are so expensive and I work a blue collar job I limit my shaving to twice a week to make the razors last longer.