When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do you shave?

Admin

Guest avitt

Panasonic Arc IV electric in the shower, with Tend Skin Air Shave gel...The ultimate lazy man's shave...

Thinking about starting to shave my head, so might rethink things at that time ;)

Guest HaloArchive

Panasonic Arc IV electric in the shower, with Tend Skin Air Shave gel...The ultimate lazy man's shave...

Thinking about starting to shave my head, so might rethink things at that time ;)

One summer in High School a long while ago, I decided to shave my head for the heck of it. :bangin: It did not go that well. I missed a big patch on the back of my head and, on the top was over-shaved and had little patches of hair that I didn't get. I used a mirror then and shaved the back of my head and ended up cutting myself so badly I had to go to the hospital to get two stitches. :wounded1:

So, here is my advice to you: If you want to shave your head.. have a barber or someone else that knows how to shave do it for you. :rolleyes:

NEVER have a woman do it for you... here is why:

Watch a woman shave her legs and.. you'll know. Its so fast like lightning and the room for error is greater than ever. And, I suggest you try to avoid watching your spouse shaving the down there areas. I cringe with the thought that some day she might slip and shave something much more sensitive off. :nea:

Too funny! :lol:

Docblackrock: I refuse to give up the indulgence since I consider traveling nowadays an indulgence all in itself. I travel with the Edwin Jagger aluminum travel badger brush because of its light weight and breakdown configuration (brush stores in the handle).

travel-brush.jpg

Travelling for you and me is different Omni - normally in and out in a few days and need to travel as light as possible. Hence the drugstore products, just easier if I have to restock wherever I am.

Have looked into the travel brush before, but concern about packing it up still wet. Looked at this one (sold locally round the corner) looks good but is suspiciously inexpensive (equivalent to $25 in your money), so probably synthetic brush....

04517830709.jpg

Or maybe I should just travel with one of these feisty little chaps, and use the razor to give him a real smooth shave :D

picture40s.png

Travelling for you and me is different Omni - normally in and out in a few days and need to travel as light as possible. Hence the drugstore products, just easier if I have to restock wherever I am.

Have looked into the travel brush before, but concern about packing it up still wet. Looked at this one (sold locally round the corner) looks good but is suspiciously inexpensive (equivalent to $25 in your money), so probably synthetic brush....

04517830709.jpg

Doc:

I've researched and yes, the L'Occitane traveler is synthetic and stiff with a lot of guys complaining about that. Beauty of packing up the wet brush in the handle is they all have ventilation so they don't get sour and it doesn't soak the rest of your stuff in the kit. I'm not all that different in travel ways than you, I often am in and out in a few days, can travel a month with just carry-on 20 inch roller and tote. If I didn't pack it, I just buy it where I'm at. My wife & stepdaughter used to be a flight attendants, we flew a lot of passes so got used to packing that way.

Notice all the "manly man" post reaction to this thread, although they're just being sarcastic, can't help but wonder who's masculinity is threatened by talk of indulging in some luxury in the daily routine? :lol:

was given a "proper" wet shave at a very posh barbers london.. trumpers.

the basics are here http://www.trumpers.com/shaving.cfm

always heat up your face/bristles first, use a good shaving foam and shave with the grain of your beard, never against it. using a sharp multi bladed razor you should feel no drag or pull as you shave.

ive got very sensitive skin and always used to get shaving rash.... not any more!

si

Geo F trumper Lime shaving soap (which resides in its L'Occitane pewter dish)

Trumpers Lime range is great stuff, although I've taken a sabbatical from it recently. Ditto I like the L'Occitane dish, although always thought it was a proprietary shape to ensure you only used their soap?

[censored] all that - An SA80 bayonet and some morning dew !!

Let me guess, the SA80 jams and then falls off at the slightest hint of moisture ;)

Doc:

I've researched and yes, the L'Occitane traveler is synthetic and stiff with a lot of guys complaining about that. Beauty of packing up the wet brush in the handle is they all have ventilation so they don't get sour and it doesn't soak the rest of your stuff in the kit. I'm not all that different in travel ways than you, I often am in and out in a few days, can travel a month with just carry-on 20 inch roller and tote. If I didn't pack it, I just buy it where I'm at. My wife & stepdaughter used to be a flight attendants, we flew a lot of passes so got used to packing that way.

Notice all the "manly man" post reaction to this thread, although they're just being sarcastic, can't help but wonder who's masculinity is threatened by talk of indulging in some luxury in the daily routine? :lol:

Thanks for confirming that Omni, I've been told opposing things by their staff so, in addition to the price, it made me question if it was genuine badger.

Anyway, I think i've found a much better alternative at one of my favourite haunts in Burlington Arcade, London (a few shops down from windows full of more rare vintage Rolex than you can imagine). Not in stock but getting it in from another branch.

07nk04tbopen.jpg

BTW, I love badgers and although they're not a protected species here in the UK (even considered a pest, vermin even by some) it's good to know that all badger products sold here are forbidden to have been sourced from our local variety - instead they come from farmed badgers (and a slightly different species) in China of all places. Of course China claims they 'trim' the fur off live animals :rolleyes: but in reality they are I'm afraid killed for this purpose (as well as meat). I know it's massively hypocritical of me to sleep soundly at night content that my Wind in the Willows childhood storybook memories are not being shredded, but hey, nobody's perfect :whistling:-_-

WTF?! :shock:

Are men with electric razors allowed to wear non-ticking watches? :)

Just joking, of course. I use a badger brush, shaving soaps of many origins and (only when I have the time) a straight razor (like the one Mr. Blonde used in Reservoir Dogs).

Real men read here: Razor FAQ

Val.

Sacrelage, I know :D To be honest, I always used to shave with Gillette razors (or had a full beard) but since I started shaving my head, it's more economical to use electric clippers for most days, and an electric foil shaver for 'special occasions' when I want to get 'wet shave close' :)

Do all you guys just go with the grain, i always find that it doesn't look like i have fully shaved that way, I go with and against the grain but then am prone to being really sensitive underneath for few days, I'm only young and don't shave every day like you oldies :p

but I use Nivea shaving foam, Gilletes Fusion and then Gillete Fusion aftershave balm thing afterwards and still and quite raw afterwards.

Should I stop going against the grain for a few weeks? Does using a brush to apply shaving foam help I just use my hands.

@numptyj

I agree, once with and then once against, gets it smoooooth. However this moth I am working Hemel Hempstead so I will be using napalm and scouring pads to show that I not a wuss. Weapons grade facial hair removal

My weapons of choice though

C_M3_10.jpg

P.aspx?l=en-GB&s=600&e=jpg&id=95SHAVEBOWL&nodef=true

This is quite well regarded in my collection

P.aspx?l=en-GB&s=600&e=jpg&id=20ET100OC&nodef=true

asglass_spanish_leather.jpg

tf_gft_limes(ss).jpg

Do all you guys just go with the grain, i always find that it doesn't look like i have fully shaved that way, I go with and against the grain but then am prone to being really sensitive underneath for few days, I'm only young and don't shave every day like you oldies :p

but I use Nivea shaving foam, Gilletes Fusion and then Gillete Fusion aftershave balm thing afterwards and still and quite raw afterwards.

Should I stop going against the grain for a few weeks? Does using a brush to apply shaving foam help I just use my hands.

I NEVER go against the grain. Makes my skin soar and I am much more proned to ingrown beard. Dunno why you don't feel like you have fully shaved...

Anyway, I would really like to recommend you to try Anthonly Logistics Shaving Cream + After Shave balm. Been using these for the last month, and really like shaving with theseAll based on natural goodness;

http://www.anthony.com/index.cfm/a/catalog.prodshow/vid/342/catid/206

http://www.anthony.com/index.cfm/a/catalog.prodshow/vid/365

Another good brand that I have been recommende to try i Kohls, but I don't have any experience with them.

I NEVER go against the grain. Makes my skin soar and I am much more proned to ingrown beard. Dunno why you don't feel like you have fully shaved...

I believe those that can shave against the grain do not have a heavy hair growth. I can't grow a heavy beard, moustache, goatee or sideburns, they all turn out whispy. So I have no problem shaving against the grain, but guys that have heavy beard growth can't. Pretty much a given, heavy stubble means the loose skin of the face around the hairs is going to be rougher and prone to irritation except where it is stretched tight and smooth like the scalp.

Don't know about the whale sperm creme but I'll look up Kohls. :D

Anyway, I would really like to recommend you to try Anthonly Logistics Shaving Cream + After Shave balm. Been using these for the last month, and really like shaving with theseAll based on natural goodness;

http://www.anthony.com/index.cfm/a/catalog.prodshow/vid/342/catid/206

http://www.anthony.com/index.cfm/a/catalog.prodshow/vid/365

That's THREE plugs now for those products, T.

Somebody has shares in the company, aye? ;):lol: