When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do you shave?

Admin

I guess its also an age thing, I am mid forties now and I find that my kin is tough enough to go against the grain and get a shave so close it last all day, those that are not aware I am a hairy mofo. But it beats the sh1t out of epilating. Besides, I love the personal time I take to do it. Japanese tea ritual eat your heart out.

I NEVER go against the grain. Makes my skin soar and I am much more proned to ingrown beard. Dunno why you don't feel like you have fully shaved...

Anyway, I would really like to recommend you to try Anthonly Logistics Shaving Cream + After Shave balm. Been using these for the last month, and really like shaving with theseAll based on natural goodness;

http://www.anthony.com/index.cfm/a/catalog.prodshow/vid/342/catid/206

http://www.anthony.com/index.cfm/a/catalog.prodshow/vid/365

Another good brand that I have been recommende to try i Kohls, but I don't have any experience with them.

where can you get that brand in the cold north?

cheers

Well, I am going to start off here then; My mother recently finished her education to become a skin care therapist (or something like that). A couple of weeks ago she showed up at our house with some weird looking bottles and tubes and told me that she wanted me to try some shaving cream + some 100% natural after shave balm. "Hell, no!" was my initial reaction. I've been using shaving foam for the last 20 years and I didn't see the need to change. Anyway, I did try it and I was so disappointed. I LOVED it. (Don't you just hate it when your mother still knows best :D ) The shaving cream just made a thin, oily white layer on my skin that made the razor glide really well. It is supposed to prevent razor burns and ingrown hair. Don't have tu much of a problem with any, but any problems I've had are all gone. So now I am hooked. Recently ordered some shaving cream from Anthony Logistics + after shave balm and I have to admit that I am really satisfied with it. It contains some peppermint leaf extract (peppermint oil, I guess) so I am left with a really refreshing feeling when I have shaved. Anybody else have any experiences with this stuff?

Been using shaving "cream" for about 5 years now...will never use foam again. I too use the Anthony Logistics brand...but only when my main choice Lab Series for Men is not on the shelf. The Lab Series line actually has a small percentage of benzocaine in it to help numb your skin on the hard shaving days. I don't use after shave balm though.

Props to my fave razor...the Gilette Sensor Excel as well.

haha @ iceberg :D

I'm with numpty on the shaving against the grain - if I don't then I still feel stubbly when I rub my hand / shirt / jacket collar against the grain.

If I shave against the grain I'm smooooth for at least a day, then I can go 3 days or so till I have to shave again :p

HATE SHAVING!!!! Wish I could flip a switch and have a perfect Sawyer from Lost stubble Beard or be smooth as a baby ass. I HATE the in between!!

meh. I keep a 5 o'clock going with a beard trimmer, no guard and shave my neck with a disposeable.

The question I've been asking myself... is whats the easiest way to keep the boys trimmed. That is the most annoying, time consuming grooming process I have.

The beard trimmer doesnt do a good job and I cant bring myself to put a razor or nair anywhere around there. Razor burn is out of the question.

meh. I keep a 5 o'clock going with a beard trimmer, no guard and shave my neck with a disposeable.

The question I've been asking myself... is whats the easiest way to keep the boys trimmed. That is the most annoying, time consuming grooming process I have.

The beard trimmer doesnt do a good job and I cant bring myself to put a razor or nair anywhere around there. Razor burn is out of the question.

Beard trimmer with no guard up top, mach3 down below. 10+ years and only cut myself once (with the trimmer believe it or not!).

I've been shaving a few days with the DE razor. I liked it. Really smooth shave, but the first day I looked I lost a fight with a mountain lion. Takes a little practice. Today I finally didn't cut myself at all.

I have been a Braun Electric guy most of my life. However, on a recent trip to Vegas I thought I would treat myself to a blade shave and perhaps see if I wanted to make the switch.

Off to The Art of Shaving I went. Got the full treatment ... hot towel on the face, straight razor shave by what appeared to be an old school Italian barber... felt like I was in The Godfather.

Was very disappointed ... easily the worst shave of my life ... had to go use my electric to get smooth after all was said and done. Needless to say I have stuck with my Braun ... :)

I have been a Braun Electric guy most of my life. However, on a recent trip to Vegas I thought I would treat myself to a blade shave and perhaps see if I wanted to make the switch.

Off to The Art of Shaving I went. Got the full treatment ... hot towel on the face, straight razor shave by what appeared to be an old school Italian barber... felt like I was in The Godfather.

Was very disappointed ... easily the worst shave of my life ... had to go use my electric to get smooth after all was said and done. Needless to say I have stuck with my Braun ... :)

They say it takes about 3 weeks for your skin and beard to adjust to and from different types of shaving.

• 3 months later...

I bought a very nice antique refinished striaight razor. (I passed on the gay razor). It is not an easy way to master a shave, but with practice, I have gotten pretty good at it. Now my favorite way to shave with the razor is hanging upsidedown from a helicopter going 90 MPH at 1000 ft. high. Thrilling and exhilerating.thumbsupsmileyanim.gif