When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do you shave?

Admin

Dani, you can also get it online in UK and have it shipped easily and cheaply enough within Europe.

This store for example charges a flat rate 4.95 GBP to Norway.

http://www.mankind.co.uk/shop-anthony?gclid=cld_6nqfjzwcfz4a4wodrxznyg

Just have to give props to my bro here again, this shop rocks best service period..Lots of products also..

I switch from shave cream to foam, to gel but always razor no electric..Mankind is the best..

Cheers,

D

Absolutly love Mont Source Products. Have been using them for over 15 years. The Unique Shave solution is truly amazing. 1 bottle last me over a year. Not a foam or cream, but a oil like loation that cools your face while you shave. Never had as close of a shave using other products as I do with this! Mont Source

Had to re-visit this thread, as I have updated my shaving habits over the last couple of weeks. Been shaving for 20 years now and I've always been using the multi-blade razors from Gillette. Been pretty satisfied with them, but I have almost since I started shaving been having minor issues with ingrown hairs. Well, after taking the advice from a friend of mine, I recently bought myself a nice Edwin Jagger shaving brush and a Merkur 34C DE Razor with Feather blades. As you can see, the blades are really cheap and they are EXTREMELY sharp.

Bought the brush first and I have to admit I really like using a brush + it works the shaving cream better into my beard. The razor was kinda scary and I have to admit that I was 100% sure that I would cut myself 100 times. After having watched a couple of shaving videos online, I had use my new razor for the first time. Totally different technique and almost no pressure required. The blades are so sharp and since there is only one blade, it is very easy to rinse off the hairs. Sure, I did cut myself a couple of times, but just because I managed to shave against the growth direction of my beard. All in all, I was rather satisfied and the shave was almost as smooth as what I was used to from the Gillette razors. I've read that it takes 3-4 shaves with this kinda razor until your skin gets used to it and I had a much "rawer" sensation in my skin after shaving with this razor, so I used twice as much balm as I usually do. To make a long story short; Been using these things for over a month now and I really like these new additions to my bathroom shelf and my Mach3 will probably not get anywhere near my face any longer. Really starting to get the hang of my new razor and my shaves are as close, or perhaps closer, than ever. I also think the shaving is much more comfortable and I have to admit that I don't mind paying $8 for 10 blades when each blade can deliver 7-8 comfortable shaves :) + haven't had a single ingrown hair the last couple of weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

I use art of shaving lavender scented cream, a badger brush and a fusion razor with the grain, then I re-lather and go slightly against the grain. Finish it off with a nice ice cold Alum Block....SO much better than alcohol based after shaves.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Blade Shavers:

I recently purchased from theenglishshavingcompany.com and they sent me a 20% discount for any friends to use on anything in their inventory until 8th February 2010. Go to their homepage and click on "Enter Voucher Code" (top left menu) and in capital letters enter JF25C All the prices will now have a 20% discount. Bottom left menu to choose prices in pounds, euros or dollars.

Here's what I bought myself, Sheffield produced heavy nickel plated short handle and nickel plated travel badger brush in a nice black Italian leather case, pretty elegant:

RT1203_27_9_open400.jpg

Since reading this thread, I have gone out and bought an old school razor, that uses razor blades rather then disposable.

Once my current shaving foam runs out I will be investing in a badger brush, and some nice shaving foam/gel.

But to anyone on the fence about trying it old school, go for it, its so much smoother to shave, there is less snagging I have yet to cut myself and Im still using cheapo Shaving foam

Wow. Glad to see that some of the analytical watch gurus also analyze their shaving methods--it must be that desire to optimize and analyze everything. I've tried electric shavers (for months at a time) but I've never felt like I was really clean shaven. I do think that of the electrics the Braun is probably the best overall.

I like the Gillette Fusion blades but I don't much like the price. I use them with Edge gel or Noxema foam for sensitive skin. One thing I've noticed is that I can extend blade life by a couple shaves if I dry the blades off after shaving--just a shake, and a horizontal wipe or two with the towel on all the blades. Gilette advises not to dry, but I think that this cuts down on the edge corrosion. OK, now who wants pull out a microscope and verify edge corrosion of dried vs undried blades?

Edited by maxquillen

Hey Blade Shavers:

I recently purchased from theenglishshavingcompany.com and they sent me a 20% discount for any friends to use on anything in their inventory until 8th February 2010. Go to their homepage and click on "Enter Voucher Code" (top left menu) and in capital letters enter JF25C All the prices will now have a 20% discount. Bottom left menu to choose prices in pounds, euros or dollars.

Here's what I bought myself, Sheffield produced heavy nickel plated short handle and nickel plated travel badger brush in a nice black Italian leather case, pretty elegant:

RT1203_27_9_open400.jpg

That is a nice, sexy setup there...thanks for the heads up on the discount!

BTW, gents, if you really wanna get the skinny on shaving...there is a whole mess of fora for you to peruse and learn...

badgerandblade is one place i frequent regarding the art of shaving...(no not the brand, but is mentioned)...they talk brushes, oils, creams, blades, strops, pre, post, even custom warming mugs for your cream...crazy talk!

I currently haven't made the plunge but will prolly now since thomas got himslef a Merkur DE Safety Razor...highly recommended for us noobs, with good heft and control along with some Feather blades.

I absolutely HATE shaving but currently have Cade from L'Occitane, Avalon Organics and Fusion gel in the shower. A standard gillette triple blade shaver but I will be getting a real blade shaver soon as my growth is just so frickin thick and my current setup ain't getting the job done.

• 5 months later...

I use Gillette powerglide 5 blades and bought a new Schick hydro 3 and 5 blade (haven't tested yet). I ve tried using old school methods etc . They work but take too much time in my opinion.

I do use badger brush with some paste/cream, which works pretty nice, but i m also able to use a can foam/gel as well for similar results.

Also I read a article about shaving which states that you should shave with cold water and reasons why. I know what you are thinking ( are you crazy?) well I went and tried it, and aside from being a bit uncomfortable from tugging feel ; I gotten a REALLY close shave. But I do still prefer to shave during showering (with hot water ) ; ) .

want to try braun shaver with self cleaning, the one thats like 260+ bux, but I doubt I will love it.

Find what works for you and stick to it. or mix it up from time to time.

back from the dead, but awesome thread!

This link was great!

http://www.classicshaving.com/articles/article/590351/5693.htm

And this video too.

I just learned how to do the Gillette slide, the J hook, and blade buffing.

I have always wet shaved, but with mach 3 and shave gels.

Just ordered a badger brush. :)

I am looking for to purchase a good shave soap, conditioner, balm, etc.

Any recommendations for brands and retailers that sell them in the US?

Crabtree and evelyn has some good creams/soaps i am sure. also i used proraso soap which was pretty nice in round container and cheap. (old old brand thats been around forever from what i read)

i actually have a badger brush from the Crabtree store. its pretty nice . but firm

• 2 weeks later...

back from the dead, but awesome thread!

This link was great!

http://www.classicshaving.com/articles/article/590351/5693.htm

And this video too.

I just learned how to do the Gillette slide, the J hook, and blade buffing.

I have always wet shaved, but with mach 3 and shave gels.

Just ordered a badger brush. :)

I am looking for to purchase a good shave soap, conditioner, balm, etc.

Any recommendations for brands and retailers that sell them in the US?

After switching to these brands, I have never had an ingrown hair or razor burn.

Shave Cream:

Jack Black Beard Lube (Retailer:Sephora)

Kiss My Face products http://kissmyfacewebstore.com/products/body-care/moisture-shaves

Aftershave:

L'OCCITANE en Provence L'Occitan After Shave Balm (Retailer: Amazon or Loccitane website)

Merkur HD (best razor in the world IMO) with Astra blades (made by Gillette)

2 super badger vulfix 374 brushes

1 pure bristle vulfix 374 brush

couple of other bristle brushes

and two new Omega pure bristle brushes on the way

proraso cream

proraso soap

palmolive classic cream

williams cream

weleda cream

just keep rotating

Oh and weleda after shave balm.

• 4 months later...