When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Graphite Lubrication For Resuscitating Seconds at 6 Movements

INTRODUCTION

The original layout of the Asian 7750 movement is hour totalizer at position 6, watch seconds (no chrono seconds) at position 9 and the minute counter at position 12. However, some genuine watches do not follow this configuration.

For example, one of the most elegant watches, the IWC Portuguese, has the minute counter in position 12, and the watch seconds at position 6, instead of 6. Therefore, the A7750 has been modified to be employed in the Portuguese model, and in the Daytona.

This modification is made using a gear train to take the seconds from 9 to 6. However, it is known that this set of gears is not well designed. This can be seen later in this post. There are no rubies and the gear directly rest on the surface of the plate.

Therefore, it is logical to find many buyers complaining about a dead Portuguese or Daytona. The problem is that there is a moment where the amount of wear is too much for the movement and the watch simply stops.

This set of gears is not lubricated. Probably you think that employing good oil we can reduce the amount of wear. However, using oil to lubricate will worse the problem. A layer of oil between the gear and the plate will stick these pieces. Therefore, all the train of gears is intentionally not lubricated.

The idea of using graphite lubrication is from a member of RWG, Fredyy333. Please, all the credits for him.

In my opinion this technique should be applied to the movement just when it is bought, to avoid future problems. A friend of mine, Gonzalo, let me his dead Protuguese to try this new technique. Follows a picture of the watch.

img1081ok2.jpg

PROCEDURE

First, the back case is opened. In the case of the Portuguese is fastened by 4 screws.

img1083be6.jpg

Once the rotor is removed, it is possible to see that the movement is hold by 4 screws, the more exterior screws in this picture.

img1084lk9.jpg

Next step is to remove hands and dial. I am not going to show pictures here, because this has been explained many times. However, this is probably the most difficult step. Be careful.

Follows a picture of the movement without the dial. There no date wheels, as the Portuguese is not using them, and there are two plates covering the movement. These two plates have the gears to move the seconds from 9 to 6.

img1085ny4.jpg

Next step is to remove three screws that hold the first plate.

img1122zn1.jpg

The next two pictures show the two faces of the first plate. There is one gear is this plate. This gear is the

• 3 years later...

Thanks for this tutorial, its a shame some of your photos are no longer displaying however.  I really could do with seeing how a couple of those gears held in by buttons are released.

Cheers, replied to you in the other thread mate regarding Nano tech product.  My email notifications are not working, but trying to keep on top of things so to not miss out on any help, advice etc.  Thanks again.