When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Tutorial on Easy and Cheap Ultrasonic Cleaning

Servicing a mechanical movement is a complex task that consists of mainly four steps:

1.- Disassembling the movement, checking all the pieces.

2.- Cleaning the dissembled parts.

3.- Assembling and oiling.

4.- Adjusting.

In this tutorial we show how to make step number 2, following an easy and cheap procedure for aficionados, employing an ultrasonic cleaning machine. Ultrasonic machines generate very high frequency waves in the liquid. These vibrations produce cavitation in the liquid, i.e., microscopic bubbles that when they explode clean the surface of the immersed object.

Here I show how to make ultrasonic cleaning in the cheapest way; of course you can do it better with more expensive equipment. However, for an aficionado, I think this is enough. For example, for a professional, a specific ultrasonic machine with three glasses is a must.

To illustrate the procedure I took some pictures during the cleaning of the parts of a Daytona modification, before graphite treatment. Next picture shows the pieces of the modification after disassembling.

daytonaoc8.jpg

Normally, and especially in the A7750 movement, we will have several of these plastic boxes full of pieces. I recommend taking pictures of the boxes before the cleaning. Why? Because you filled the boxes following an order, and this order will help you to assemble the movement, finding easily the pieces you need in each moment. The pictures of the boxes will facilitate to put each piece in its correct location.

Follows the ultrasonic machine that is going to be employed. It is a very cheap model, but makes its task decently. However, ultrasonic machines loose power with the use. Just remind this and renew your machine if it is old. For the same reason, do not buy old ultrasonic machines.

img1253zu7.jpg

img1254aq9.jpg

This machine stops automatically after 3 minutes of being connected. Therefore, follow the list of times we are going to employ: Cleaning: 9 minutes (3 cycles). And 3 minutes (1 cycle) for each of the two rinses.

As this machine only has one container, we have to exchange the liquids during the process. Therefore, we need 3 bottles and a big funnel.

img1256do1.jpg

Bottle L. This is the bottle that has the cleaning liquid. In English should be bottle C.

E1 and E2 are the bottles for the two rinses (in English better R1 and R2).

img1257vx2.jpg

About the cleaning fluid. There are specific liquids for cleaning watch movements