When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Washed ashore on Billingsgate...

JoJo35

Much of the area that now constitutes the Cape Cod towns of Wellfleet and Eastham, with plentiful fish and shellfish, was dubbed Billingsgate after a famous fish market in London, England. The name was eventually used exclusively for an island about three miles west of the mainland at what is now the town of Eastham, a short distance south of Jeremy's Point in Wellfleet.

A lighthouse was completed at the site in 1834. Tragically, fate had other plans for the lighthouse, other buildings, and the keeper who tended the light.

f3784b42.jpg

Lighthouse keeper Herman Dill's log entry for February 7, 1875, read:

"It has been very Cold here for the last month and the most ice that I ever see in this Rigen We are almost buried up in it No salt water to be seen from the island I hav not seen a living man for over a month no prospect for the Better i do get the blues sometimes to think i can't [get] here from the main so pend up with ice that i can not move in either direction for the ice is 15 feet high in some places"

In December 1875, the tower was flooded to a depth of three to five feet.

In March 1876, Keeper Dill was found dead in his boat, afloat in Cape Cod Bay the day after a brutal storm.

In 1888, the Lighthouse Board tried to delay the inevitable by building 1,000 feet of jetties and bulkheads around the island.

Today, what is left of the island is only accessible during low water, as high tide completely covers the island. Navigational charts are all marked Danger, instructing ships to steer clear.

On our recent vacation, L and I took the trip out during low tide to have a look around. A few bricks can be found here and there; however, the only other remnants of human habitation are the granite blocks that once acted as a breakwater for the lighthouse. Other than that, we found a 100+ year old iron mooring that is probably in the same place it was dropped so long ago..

494afa41.jpg

The sea dweller seemed at rest among the rocks, the feeling of tragic events of so long ago still present in the area, the spirit of the old watch must have felt at home laying on the granite that was laid down so long ago...

..Looking toward the North, Wellfleet's giant dunes off in the distance

fbab2aaa.jpg

...and some of the local inhabitants probably wondering what the hell we were doing there:

e99e5eb2.jpg

http://www.lighthouse.cc/billingsgate/history.html