When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

digital cameras -- most of the good ones out of stock

For macro shooting you're not going to find a better deal than the Canon 100mm/2.8 macro lens.

Chief (or anyone) - Not a big deal since most of my shooting with the 400D/Xti (which I ordered (body only) this morning) will be based on a tripod, but I was wondering if this lens has any form of anti-shake compensation? Again, not a big deal since I will be using the LX3 as my walk-about shooter. But, in my brief time with the SX10, its Image Stabilization saved my cookies on more than 1 occasion.

Chief (or anyone) - Not a big deal since most of my shooting with the 400D/Xti (which I ordered (body only) this morning) will be based on a tripod, but I was wondering if this lens has any form of anti-shake compensation? Again, not a big deal since I will be using the LX3 as my walk-about shooter. But, in my brief time with the SX10, its Image Stabilization saved my cookies on more than 1 occasion.

No IS on the macro lens. It wouldn't really serve any purpose. When shooting macros you'll be using a solid tripod, mirror lockup mode, and a cable shutter release. In general, too, I find it's a rare occasion where I can't get 1/(1.6*focal_length) on shutter speed even with long lenses. ISO 400 on the XTi will be very usable with a little noise reduction in PS. ISO 800 marginally useable with good PS noise reduction, but not good for full size crops. So fast lenses are often more useful than IS. The usefulness of IS is very limited. When the need to shoot inanimate objects handheld in low light arises, that's when IS helps. Moving objects require a high enough shutter speed to freeze motion which is also high enough to eliminate any minor shake when hand holding usually making IS useless. Very rarely would the extra stop from IS come in handy. Give me 2 or 3 stops, and then we can talk! ;)

PS A very nice "walk-around" lens for the Canon is the 24-105mm L with IS. Since it's a slower lens (f/4) the IS can sometimes be useful. But I think after using it for quite some time now, I'd honestly prefer f/2.8 and no IS. I do think IS softens the picture just a bit.

Good points, all, Chief. But I was thinking in terms of using the lens for portraiture as well. During my research, I am coming across alot of really beautiful portraits done with this lens. That is the primary reason for inquiring about IS.

On a related topic, since the camera is on the way, I am starting to price lenses.......well, this lens. After checking all of my usual sources, I found that Dell has them for just under $500 (new). Is that in the right ballpark?

Thanks.

Good points, all, Chief. But I was thinking in terms of using the lens for portraiture as well. During my research, I am coming across alot of really beautiful portraits done with this lens. That is the primary reason for inquiring about IS.

On a related topic, since the camera is on the way, I am starting to price lenses.......well, this lens. After checking all of my usual sources, I found that Dell has them for just under $500 (new). Is that in the right ballpark?

Thanks.

The 100mm/2.8 macro is an excellent choice for both macros and portraiture. In taking portraits, typically, you'll have enough light to hand hold without IS. Figure you only need 1/150s or 1/200s of shutter speed. And this lens is very sharp even at f/2.8, so you can use its speed without sacrificing much. It'd be awfully dark for a portrait if you couldn't get there with ISO 200 or ISO 400. And remember IS is only really good for about 1 stop anyhow... until you get in to the super expensive long lenses. Also, you can often use a tripod. If you want to do stuff with very subdued "mood lighting" then a tripod is your friend. Heck even a monopod might be useful. Anyhow, the only thing to keep in mind with this lens is that it is slow to focus (relative to a non-macro lens). So tracking fast moving subjects with it can be difficult. But for macro and portraiture this is not going to be an issue. And you can also alter the minimum focus distance when not shooting macros in order to lessen the total focus range and make it focus a bit faster.

Check the sales section of fredmiranda.com. There are lots of like new used lenses at good prices there, sometimes with warranty cards. It's a very active forum with a lot of pro photogs that contribute. $450 to $500 is about right. B&H is my favorite online retailer.

... and you wonder where the noise on the Macro shot comes from? :D

I thought of that & snapped a number of pics with IS disabled. Same noise. I know IS does not help matters, but the noise I was seeing was in just about every pic that contained large areas of dark or solid colors. I infer from that that the noise is inherent in the camera's image sensor system. According to a number of reviews, alot of it is due to the small sensor size & the size/number of pixels they crammed onto it. But point taken.

Check the sales section of fredmiranda.com.

Thanks, Chief. I will check that out.

There are lots of like new used lenses at good prices there, sometimes with warranty cards.

This brings up another question. I found a number of these lenses for sale on ebay, but I am hesitant to buy a used lens that I cannot inspect in person. Of course, like anything else, you buy the seller. But how often do people sell lenses of this quality, unless it has a problem (scratched glass, defective motor, etc)?

$450 to $500 is about right. B&H is my favorite online retailer.

Got it. Thanks.

Thanks, Chief. I will check that out.

This brings up another question. I found a number of these lenses for sale on ebay, but I am hesitant to buy a used lens that I cannot inspect in person. Of course, like anything else, you buy the seller. But how often do people sell lenses of this quality, unless it has a problem (scratched glass, defective motor, etc)?

I would be very hesitant to buy on EBay. But I have bought and sold on fredmiranda. Here you can be very assured of what you're getting. People sell used lenses a lot. Sometimes to buy a different lens of a different focal length, or other equipment, or whatever. Or because it isn't as useful as they thought, etc. I have a 35L/1.4 and 50/1.4. I hardly ever use the 50. I bought the 50 first and then got the 35, and now rarely need the 50. It's in like new condition. But I should sell it. That's usually how it goes. ;)