When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Shooting in a lightbox..what is wrong? Lighting? Settings on my camera?

Hey!

Trying to learn how to shoot pics in a lightbox and i need some advice from the experts :cool:

I am using a Sony A100 with a 50mm 1.2.8 DG Macro lens.

The camera is in Macro mode and i am using AF.

Why the color of the pics/results? Even when i fix it with Autocolor in PS it does not get that crispy white color everyone else seems to get!

The lightbox is homemade with thin white paper. Light source is two construction lamps @ 150W put on each side of the lightbox.

Check this pic;

litendsc00948.jpg

Camera data.

cameradata.jpg

What ya think is wrong?? Any suggestion on other settings on the camera??

Hi Concepta, it's really easy once you know how to:

First change the white balance on your camera to incandescent light.

If it looks alright, then you're done, if not here is how to proceed:

Open photoshop

goto:

-Adjustements

-Levels

-click on the white pipette tool

-then choose with the pipette the brightest part in your picture which should be white

-click done

then your picture should look like this:

litendsc00948whitebalan.jpg

hope this was helpfull

Andei

Took me a while to figure out the light box and white balance trick. It was really bothering me for a while! My camera has several options on it, but I favored the custom setting where the camera analyzes the white balance and adjusts it for you. As soon as I got the lightbox, it didn't work any more. I found the Tungsten setting works best. Keep playing with it and you will get it!

Took me a while to figure out the light box and white balance trick. It was really bothering me for a while! My camera has several options on it, but I favored the custom setting where the camera analyzes the white balance and adjusts it for you. As soon as I got the lightbox, it didn't work any more. I found the Tungsten setting works best. Keep playing with it and you will get it!

Many cameras have a "Set Balance" function .. hold a white piece of paper in front of the subject and activate the function. It will read the color correction directly off of the white paper. If your tent is white ... then no paper is needed .. read the correction off of your tent.

Good tip Cats, they only cost about #2 a piece...only thing, the longer you use them the more the colortemp will shift to 3500, will become more red/yellow

What also helps using daylight lamps.

I got some which have a colour temp. of 5600K.

If you have enough light with that colr temp there is no need to cahnge the white balanse

Carpe Diem

Cats