When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PATINA Tritium Ageing in the Dark - Gen Scans

BigCrown

Today I got a true 'safe-queen'. This 16800 has been in a dry, dark safe for most of its life. I am amazed with the stability and color of the luminous.

Luminous decay / patina has to deal with the phosphorous present in the Tritium mix. UV light bleaches the red phosphorous and leaves the luminous white. Based on the Rolex catalog photos I have seen, the original watches in the 1960s and 1970s left the Rolex factory with slightly tinted yellow markers. They darken or lighten over time based on the conditions in which they are stored.

168004.jpg

168005.jpg

With so many variations of luminous applied to vintage watch dials, and multitude of conditions that the watches are exposed to, give us a vast array of results. Perhaps this is what draws us into the vintage realm.

I prefer dark luminous, but some people strive for 'snow white' luminous. This is achieved by the watches being worn and exposed to sunlight.

Here is a random assortment of watches and dials that I have owned in the past couple years...note: no two are alike!

giltlove2.jpg

1680withRSC2.jpg

P5060018.jpg

1.jpg

5513withPerfectMaxiandMatchingHands.jpg

5513GILT.jpg

P3170004.jpg

5513metersfirst18millionserial.jpg

P3070002.jpg

5513maxi.jpg

dials8.jpg

dials3.jpg

dials1.jpg

P1170059.jpg

P5010011.jpg

P1100001.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, that's some great information! Here's a shot of two that have the lume sun-bleached completely white. You can see what the UV has done to the dial on the Seadweller too.

chocolate.jpg

Today I got a true 'safe-queen'.

Congratulations on a great find. :good:

Based on the Rolex catalog photos I have seen, the original watches in the 1960s and 1970s left the Rolex factory with slightly tinted yellow markers. They darken or lighten over time based on the conditions in which they are stored.

For years, there has been heated (& ongoing) debate over the cause of the discoloration, but I would love to see the catalogs that show new Rolex watches with yellow tritium/lume. I spent some time working in a jewelry/watch repair store as a kid & I only ever saw white. Maybe the catalog has itself discolored?

First, I wanted to congratulate you on all of the gorgeous pieces you have acquired and built, truly inspiring!

I've seen this issue discussed before (was it VRF?). Like yourself, I also prefer the darker color tritium, and love the character that it brings a watch. They just "look" old :)

Here's a pic of my 16800, it's not nearly as old as a DRSD, but IMO, the dial has aged perfectly!

IMG_0423.jpg

Awesome 16800 JoJo!

You just can't beat the unique patina.

On the topic of the catalogs, when I say 'tinted yellow', I mean more of an off-white. The light yellow color I am referring to can be seen in the instruction booklets for the last 5513's. The plots are shown egg-shell color.

Thanks, that's some great information! Here's a shot of two that have the lume sun-bleached completely white. You can see what the UV has done to the dial on the Seadweller too.

chocolate.jpg

The brown hue to the Seadweller is similar to what's happened when I baked my project sub dial, but on mine, it's much more pronounced... From what happened with mine at 60 seconds, I'm guessing a 15-20 second bake should achieve that partial browning, although I suspect the indices would be darkened, rather than bleaching lighter...

• 4 weeks later...

That is a nice vintage effect. If you want to restore you can remove the indecies by using pins pressing them through from the back side...then you can spray the dial will clear gloss lacquer to restore the clear coat. then re-apply the markers....if you live dangerously!

"yes, I too like to live dangerously.."

• 11 years later...

Hi I have a question ... Does keeping the watch in the dark produce the orange tropical or does the light do that ?

I have an omega seamster that is perfectly orange hued in the tritium, but I noticed the orange is darkening and I want to prevent that. So should I keep it more or less in the dark of a safe or in light?

Hi JDS,  I think we came to the conclusion that sunlight bleaches the dial so the indices and hands get whiter.  Sometimes the dial will change color too, losing pigment so it goes from black to brown.  But the hour plots should get whiter with more sun.

• Thanks 1

"Does keeping the watch in the dark produce the orange tropical or does the light do that?"

That is a very good question.  I have no answers, just a few examples:

Bought a new 16760 GMT II in mid 1989 from a rlx AD.  It was kept in a dark, dry, room temperature safe, never worn until I sold it in late 1995.  The watch was never out in the sun.  The hands turned yellowish and the markers stayed white.  I paid $1465 for it new, shipped out of state to dodge tax.  I knew an 'AD guy' back then. Should have kept it...

Have a nos 6694 that I bought new at an AD in June 1989.  Still have it unworn and stored in the safe.  The dial marker dots and hands are still white.  

A nos 6430 Speedking purchased from a rlx AD in 1972 still has white dial marker dots but the lume in the hands has turned yellowish and there is a slight dark (burned?) spot on the dial under the hour hand where it has been in the same position for many years.  The watch has serial number 882xxxx from around 1985 so the hands should have tritium lume.  First time I have seen 'trit burn'.  Have seen a lot of 'radium burn' on dials though.

Had a nos L96xxxx 5500 AK stored for about 20 years and the lume looked same as new when I sold it, unworn in the box.  

Have an old 5500 AK 1520 17j with serial number 544xxxx that has seen a lot of sunny days and the hand and marker lume is yellowed but the dial paint still looks pretty good.

Otoh have a 'like new' (no kiddin') all original black dial 1964 214 Accutron Astronaut (w/Kreisler coffin bct) and the dial still looks good but the hands are showing signs of corrosion from whatever type of lume was used back then...radium?  The crystal is mounted on the case by the inner ring of the rotating bezel like a rolex.  One of the coolest watches ever made imho.  

The burned spot on the Speedking dial is a mystery...to me anyway.

In-Depth: Bulova's Accutron Astronaut – The Watch Chosen By The CIA For Pilots Of The Fastest Plane Ever Made - HODINKEE

• Thanks 1

Thank you Nanuq, very much appreciated.

Thank you Automatico - I appreciate the insight on the various examples you have from experience. That accutron sounds unreal, very cool. I always picture the character Freddy pitching Don Drapers accutron commerical bit when thinking of accutron.

Also the 16760 GMT II what a watch ... and in that condition ! We have all be there wishing we kept a certain piece. 

I guess I'll just have to monitor the tritium patina as it ages and dial back sun exposure if necessary. Thanks again everyone. 

Pictures of the tritium patina. Omega 2531.80 with an early serial starting with 49 - one of the early models with the 1109 caliber movement. The tritium has an awesome tropical orange patina.

Notice the 12 o clock lume spot is darkening on the upper right, and the 9 o clock lume seems to be darkening more than the circular lume spots. 

20200917_125012.jpg

20200916_152059.jpg

20200904_122632.jpg

Edited by Jds1293

JDS I think you want to check in at a place with lots of owners of that and related Omega watches to get your answer.  So many variables, but there will be some people who have had the relevant experience of lots of Omegas of that model range and age to give you some ideas.