When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where's the Beef?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is an amazing set of photos shot exclusively on an iPhone

Chase Jarvis does a lot of post-processing, so to the iPhone, you can add a few thousand dollars of computer to the bill.

However, I don't do any post-processing on my iPhone photos and ... hang on, I'll start a new thread.

edit: Oh, and I very much like the work of Chase Jarvis. I didn't mean to sound like I thought he was crap or anything. He shoots knowing what he's going to do with the image. He shoots for the processing he has available. :D

I suppose you can never spend too much when it comes to your kids. But, considering the high quality of the average p&s camera today, I have to wonder if you get to a point of diminishing returns when purchasing a full frame to shoot junior's 8th birthday party?

The ability to blur backgrounds is enough of a reason itself to use DSLR over P&S, and obviously it doesn't end there. If I were only shooting birthday parties, I suppose full frame would be difficult to justify. But I do a lot of shooting. And at least half seems to be indoors. ISO 3200 with hardly any grain would be an absolute godsend. You have no idea. Anyhow, I'm about to roll over the shot counter on my XT for the second time. And technically, I'm not supposed to have gotten this many actuations from it either -- another advantage of the pro/semi-pro bodies. But for now it's still kicking.

My point Freddy is that you already have a very artistic eye and with a little practice with your new rig, you will be shooting some fantastic shots! You are already doing it and it has only been a few days! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks, Red. It took me awhile to reorient myself when I made the move from a film SLR to my 1st digital (a 2MP something-or-other) & I am having to reorient myself again during the switch back to a dSLR. But, like going from bicycle to motorcycle & then back to moped, I guess you never really forget how to ride 2-wheels - you just need to figure out where they moved the shifter & get used to doing some of the pedaling again.

The ability to blur backgrounds is enough of a reason itself to use DSLR over P&S, and obviously it doesn't end there.

You should really check out an SX10IS. Of course, its shortcomings will dismiss it for serious use, but that 20x zoom puts this compact in a class by itself. To match that in the dSLR world, you would need a very sizable pocket full of coin & an assistant to help lug the beast around. The SX10IS produces such a creamy, soft background blur that it was almost enough to make me put up with the camera's sins (noise & chroma aberrations).

If I were only shooting birthday parties, I suppose full frame would be difficult to justify. But I do a lot of shooting. And at least half seems to be indoors. ISO 3200 with hardly any grain would be an absolute godsend. You have no idea. Anyhow, I'm about to roll over the shot counter on my XT for the second time. And technically, I'm not supposed to have gotten this many actuations from it either -- another advantage of the pro/semi-pro bodies. But for now it's still kicking.

Long life is not necessarily limited to pro/semi-pro. My low-end A80 lasted more than twice its expected lifespan & only got replaced when it refused to shoot anymore. But your point about the need for high ISO usability is a good 1 (for those who do alot of low light shooting).

• 3 months later...