When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A member's history and a "family", through the years.

gioarmani

I try not to succumb to the neurosis of sentimentality too often, but I had set forth with the task of purging a slew of pics from my photobucket account this afternoon, when I realized--after really paying attention--how much history I had stashed away in the confines of their servers. And after that, I realized I simply shouldn't walk away so wantonly from what I had learned and experienced in the past few years.

I first found these forums in the summer of 2006, starting with TRC, then RWG, and onto RWI, then most recently RG, and would just like to take the time to share my experiences and fondness with the other members here, both new and old.

I must first say how thankful and grateful I am to have found all of you; I went from being a complete novice--only ever having one watch before then (a gen '98 Rolex 16610--the ownership of which was so wrought with problems that I swore I'd never buy another Rolex)--and through research and contribution, wound up gaining an immeasurable amount of horological knowledge from all the fantastic and skilled members on each forum. I would like to flatter people individually, but to anyone who's spent enough time on these boards, you will know that the list of people one could pay respect here is also immeasurable, so in an attempt to be even & fair, I'll refrain from naming any members, admin, dealers, etc. Thank you very much--to all who have ever lent me a helping hand or a kind word. Thank you.

So, as pictures can only tell a certain kind of story...

In the beginning, my first rep purchase was a 16610 rep Sub from a now defunct scam site, swisswatches.net, and this piece wound up getting me 50% off an over-priced, non-existent Zenith El Primero:

IMG_3477.jpg

IMG_3454.jpg

IMG_2231.jpg

IMG_2226.jpg

IMG_3448.jpg

(and was promptly sold)

Naturally, after discovering I'd been had, I started reading & posting. My first ever thread was the typical newb query, "hey, what do you guys think of this piece?...", to which I promptly learned the meaning of the term "fantasy piece", and that the quality of the Rolex itself was not so bad as was the price I had been raped for. Not to mention what I received was not in fact a 16610, but rather a 16610 LV maxi-dial with an incorrect black bezel-insert...

And thus, the interest in modifications began.

IMG_3084.jpg

IMG_3107.jpg

After acquiring my first insert for the LV from one of the dealers (the pics of the incorrect piece and the insert construction are unfortunately deleted forever), I had proudly constructed/modified my first watch:

IMG_4007.jpg

IMG_4016.jpg

IMG_4021.jpg

Of course, as my education grew, so did my knowledge that the pearl was garbage and I had an insert that I had inadvertently sat above the lip of the bezel. :) Envious of other members dazzling photography, I decided to correct my mistakes, get a decent pearl, a better insert, learn how to round edges and buff steel, and snag a newer genuine box set to shoot them with:

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

By no means perfect, but after this I was so pleased with the results (and the look of the new case without the lug-holes), I wound up selling my gen.

To replace the gen I had just dumped on the Bay, my next acquisition was a regular 16610:

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

This too was quickly modded with new pearls, inserts, shaved CGs, etc.

Having slaked my typical Submariner thirst that drives so many new members to these fora, I set my sites on a Daytona, and wound up with this one:

IMG_3310.jpg

IMG_3325.jpg

IMG_3313.jpg

IMG_3584.jpg

IMG_3332.jpg

Another lesson learned: (and I've beat this horse to death in my posts) do your homework...look before you leap.

An incorrectly colored 116520 with non-functioning chronos, mis-spaced subdials, and a perpetually running stop-watch hand that doesn't stay put @ 12.

(this one I actually held on to for a bit (for aesthetics) before it was sold)

I love the look of the Daytona in all steel; and to be honest, I love the monochromatic look of the all steel dial--incorrect as it may be--more so than the white or black dials on the 116520. If I was completely fair to myself, I'd buy the version of this piece that's available with the steel dial, proper spacing, and functional chronographs; unfortunately, my knowledge of the gen prevents me from doing so...

Which led me to my next purchase, a gen-looking 116520 off a tenured RWG member:

IMG_3638.jpg

IMG_3641.jpg

IMG_3648.jpg

IMG_3644.jpg

This piece ate most of my wrist-time for the next few months, until the notoriously faulty movement started crapping out. It was at this point that I learned of the services of a well-known (and rightfully well-respected) watchsmith on RWG, who masterfully serviced the movement and froze the seconds @ 6 sub-dial to make it run more accurately. I must admit, I was impressed enough to use his services repeatedly to service almost every watch I purchased after that.

Next up, seeing the flurry of new Sub reps hitting the market in '06/07--"best" this, "perfect" that, "ultimate" this, "1:1" that--I decided to purchase the "perfect" model from a board dealer I had a pleasant experience getting my 16610 from, and was not too favorably impressed with the supposed "perfection" (forgive the incandescent lighting and poor white-balance):

IMG_2565.jpg

IMG_2574.jpg

IMG_2587.jpg

IMG_2683.jpg

IMG_2590.jpg

Edited by gioarmani
  • Like 5

From the thick dial print, to the sloppy pearl, the misaligned cyclops, to an incorrectly shaped case, and a rehaut (new word learned :) ) that was meant for Sichuan stir-fry, this piece too had to go--and fast.

Lesson learned: don't become influenced by marketing gimmicks.

I also toyed around with some Russian models that I had never experienced. Satisfied with it? Nyet. (They're a royal pain in the ass to regulate & work on)

IMG_3774.jpg

IMG_3753.jpg

IMG_3742.jpg

IMG_3733.jpg

IMG_3768.jpg

IMG_3707.jpg

IMG_3696.jpg

Next up came my first "risky" multiple piece shipment from two different dealers. First shipment, two ladies DateJusts for my girlfrind, and a fantasy GMT for myself. From another dealer a Panerai 005, and a Patek for my girl. This was also the first week I snagged an inexpensive watch-winder off the Bay, which I still use to this day:

1.jpg

2.jpg

4-1.jpg

3.jpg

(some gratuitous Panerai shots, for all you PAM lovers)

IMG_3339.jpg

IMG_3354.jpg

IMG_3340.jpg

IMG_3356.jpg

IMG_3357.jpg

IMG_3358.jpg

IMG_3369.jpg

IMG_3586.jpg

IMG_3350.jpg

IMG_3345.jpg

IMG_3335.jpg

Not just good for watches, we found the forums good for a number of other items as well:

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

011.jpg

Figuring out that 44mm PAMs look ridiculous on me, I decided to sell this piece and all it's parts to member who I don't think is around any more. Fight it as I might--along with my wallet (and believe me when I say I did try)--I was a Rolex lover.

IMG_3138.jpg

IMG_3159.jpg

IMG_3176.jpg

Now buying steady with the same dealer, I ordered three new pieces after dumping the 005 and the GMT fantasy; the newly released SMP chrono, a Panerai 061 (??), and a new 116520:

IMG_0024.jpg

(a few more shots for the PAM lovers)

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

And the SMP rep ( I loved it so much, I bought the gen for Christmas):

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

a-1.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

The genuine:

IMG_3819.jpg

IMG_3822.jpg

IMG_3826.jpg

IMG_3841.jpg

IMG_3848.jpg

IMG_3853.jpg

IMG_3900.jpg

IMG_3977.jpg

And finally, the new 116520 (notice the updated rotor for '07):

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

I wound up also selling the SMP chrono, as I honestly thought the gen looked better. The dial print on the rep was better, as was the crispness and sharpness of the insert's numbering:

IMG_0006-1.jpg

I also bought two more pieces--that I also decided weren't exaclty "me"--and sold them both soon after. A Presidential, which I felt was just a bit too small:

IMG_0003-1.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0005-2.jpg

And a two-tone Datejust; I think gold looks pretentious on me, and just don't care for the color:

IMG_3420.jpg

IMG_3424.jpg

IMG_3418.jpg

IMG_3399.jpg

IMG_3390.jpg

My girl was loving her pink-dial Datejust until it started malfunctioning, so instead of fixing it, I decided to upgrade her to the salmon dial, Swiss movement:

IMG_3278.jpg

IMG_3258.jpg

IMG_3264.jpg

IMG_3249.jpg

IMG_3279.jpg

And, as some may be familiar with, there were some gratuitous shots over the years (watches included, of course)

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

86311_6.jpg

IMG_2645.jpg

;)

Our pieces wound up wined, dined, and well-traveled too:

IMG_0013.jpg

Cancun:

l_8dcaa092b166a31880bc3cd592bd527a.jpg

IMG_1405-1.jpg

IMG_1346.jpg

l_7cc7996caa13da9ad9d142b427ad26ef.jpg

• Like 3

Paris:

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

London:

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

Wales & the English west-country:

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0373-1.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

Around this time, the SSD came out--I had to be one of the first to purchase it:

IMG_0012-2.jpg

IMG_0038-1.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

Of course, most people noticed the problem with the bezel thickness, compared to the gen:

IMG_0309.jpgIMG_0307.jpg

And within only a couple of months... the SSD V2:

IMG_0011-1.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0290-2.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0003-4.jpg

IMG_0009a.jpg

IMG_0286-2.jpg

(another lesson that taught me to wait to buy the DSSD when the third release came out ;) )

• Like 2

Along with our shared experiences on the boards, around this time I also felt I had gained enough experience through both trial & error and other members to start posting tutorials, in an effort to make it easier for others who might just be getting into the field.

IMG_0026-1.jpg

IMG_0017-1.jpg

IMG_0049-1.jpg

Based on modding information I had learned from other members over the previous two years, I worked diligently to document the process I followed, and wanted to share it with others; it's what really helped me create some of the best pieces I owned. I still regret selling my SSD V2...so close to the genuine...

IMG_0017.jpg

16600BFULL.jpg

Oh well. All good things come to an end...

And on topic, as 2008 dawned I decided to get married to the girl I had been dating for seven years (and engaged to for two of which), which abruptly ended a couple of months later. This tragedy was compounded with the deaths of two other family members only one month later. Needless to say, I was devastated and withdrew from every hobby I had, and out went everything on fire-sale, except for my Sea Dweller. I quit posting on the boards for most of 2008, and really didn't want to get involved with this again until after I had moved to change the scenery and felt settled.

Fortunately, after unwillingly being thrust into the dating scene for the first time in almost eight years, I found a wonderful girl who looks forward to the future, without unjust anticipation.

And as fate would have it, contentment breeds inspiration; so, in 2009 I started buying, modding, and getting back into the tutorials again:

IMG_1073.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1019.jpg

And with a bit of luck & steady carefulness, I now have my new favorite piece, my DSSD V5:

IMG_1339.jpg

And for the first time since I started on the boards over three years ago, I'm back down to only two pieces, and am quite happy:

IMG_1263.jpg

But, I certainly shouldn't leave out my new girl's piece--her SS, silver dial, Rolex Ladies Datejust:

IMG_1366.jpg

IMG_1367-1.jpg

IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1487.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg

All in all, what we all have here is a fantastic group of people; in our admin and mods, in our experts and experts-to-be, in both our new and old members, and our respective dealers. Minus the occasional melodrama, there's an exponentially growing wealth of knowledge for us to feast upon, and to continue educating ourselves and others through this outlet.

I would like to issue my continuing support to those who would accept it, and offer my hand in sincere gratitude to everyone here who has made this an enjoyable experience for me. I've tried to personally help all that needed it, and hope that I was of some assistance to those who actively sought it. Unorthodox as it may sound, I have to also say thanks to those who take the extra (albeit shady) step in putting their livelihood & legal necks on the line, in order to provide us with the pieces we love so much.

Thank you to the admin for your valuable, though volunteered time, and for providing us this place to continue on with.

For all our members here, I hope these forums stay positive & stay around long enough for those who haven't been here yet to do so.

Thanks for looking, and have a great week.

Edited by gioarmani
  • Like 7

fantastic post gio -- so great to see the evolution of your watch collecting experience. and as you've said -- this place wouldn't be the same without all the members that contribute, each in their own way.

which brings me to the point of my post -- thanks for all of your contributions -- i know i've frequently benefitted from your helpful threads :victory:

so when is the next photoshoot? :bleh:

deltatahoe

A fantastic post that brings back a lot of memories as I too started 06 on TRC and was moving across the boards, finally ending here on RWG. I still remember a lot of your activity on TRC and while I have learned many useful tricks from your modding posts, I was always a fan of your sizzling and yet tasteful erotic photography. Great to have you on board, Gio.

Me being bombastic as all hell, these are the kinds of posts that would send me over the self engraciating edge. Your account stirs a lot of my own experience chain here on the boards. I will demure all that as I hope this topic will go page after page with regard to you and what you mean to all of 'us'.

I first noticed you Gio when you posted the pictoral of your infamous B&W Semi-nude, reclining with Rolex, that coincidentally you included here, on TRC. A few of the pictures in that thread went well and beyond the obvious subject matter and I noted "Whoa, we have yet another 'intelligent' member to add to the already impressive roster." Cool. That day, I searched all your past posts and tutorals. Then, if ever seeing your SN on the main page never was remiss clicking them. Your presence was missed when you dropped off the radar. That happens to a lot of members; life getting in the way, and the mind goes to places you'd rather not dwell as to why. All too often it is a dark place. So happy you are back and taking a new fork in the road. Voltaire would approve. You are an enlightened person. That is contagious.

To coin a colloquialism of your own, and simply;

Gratsi!

Thanks again, guys.

Here's another pic I forgot to add:

IMG_1628.jpg

On the left, my very first watch--a 1978 Swiss made manual-wind Mickey watch.

On the right, the first watch my family has--another Swiss made manual-wind Bulova, my great-grandfather brought over from Munich in 1927.

(both movements broken) :(

Edited by gioarmani

This thread is like the through the years theme park ride of RWG as seen by gio. Was fun even though I had to hurry past some of the most fun pics as i'm at work.

I can relate to the up and downswings, and the effect it takes on what we love. I've just started to really settle back into my own skin, and watches, for the first time since late '08. Mine was more of a personal journey, which albeit began when something ended. Cheers! Thanks for sharing.