When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Crosstrainer / excercise machine

Samurai

Hey Samurai how are ya.

Since this is what I do for a living, look at the Freemotion Incline Trainer.

It is a treadmill that can go to a max 30% incline and a -3% decline.

You walk at 2 mph and 21% incline and you can achieve an average 6 fat calorie burn per minute.

You can do it for long or short periods of time and lose the body fat instead of running and eating up muscle. It can also go to 12 mph if you want to go for a run.

We have them on the US show the biggest loser and they work well for the very heavy people helping them get back in a fat burning metabolic mode.

Look for a used one or even one of the Nordic Track Incline trainers, same thing, just an older model.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Power rack ($300) + bench ($100) + weight set ($120).

Cheaper.

Heavy compound movements are the best way to build muscle. With just a single bar, bench, and rack you'll be able to hit all the major muscle groups.

If you don't have room for a power rack (which takes up as much as a home gym) you can always just get stands.

I've never been a fan of bowflex because at the beginning of the movement there's no resistance and then resistance increases as you push. So with bench pressing when your hands are near your chest there's little resistance. So basically you're doing a tricep extension and not a bench press.

Get a gym membership...The inherent problem with any piece of equipment you buy for the home is adaptation. The more you use it, the better you get at it, The better you get at it, the less energy you burn. The less energy you burn, the less fat you lose.....

It all comes down to intake to expenditure... it's not really about what type of kynesiology is used.

it still comes down to diet and aerobic.. (with oxygen) .. mixed with anerobic.. (wieghts)

Sorry but 30 minutes on the bowflex without epending calories with aerobic (running, stationary bike etc.).. you cannot burn calories by anerobic workouts (weights)

Your first 10 lbs. will be "water" after that you'll hit a plateau.. that is when you have to be disciplined.. low sodium.. smaller portioned meals .. low carb.. high protien meals.. healthy snacks in between to keep your metabolism.

No fruit after 2pm. .. no meal 4 hours before you sleep..

aerobic excersize 2 times a day....... 30 to 40 minutes x 2 ....

if your loosing 1 lb. a week your doing very good.. try looking at 1 lb. of butter.

Save Sunday for your "cheat day" .. eat a little of the junk food you crave.. don't go overboard..

fast food is out... alcohol is cut back..

do these things and you will see a drop in your belt size..

the oly way to get the "6-pack" is to mix cardio with weights and diet..

A~C

Lani

I think Samurai was asking about ellitcal machines?

I used to use one at the gym, it made my legs and butt as firm as steel, but, it messed up my knees and I pulled an achilles tendon while using it.

I've heard that the ellipticals are not ergonomically good for you?

It all comes down to intake to expenditure... it's not really about what type of kynesiology is used.

it still comes down to diet and aerobic.. (with oxygen) .. mixed with anerobic.. (wieghts)

Sorry but 30 minutes on the bowflex without epending calories with aerobic (running, stationary bike etc.).. you cannot burn calories by anerobic workouts (weights)

Your first 10 lbs. will be "water" after that you'll hit a plateau.. that is when you have to be disciplined.. low sodium.. smaller portioned meals .. low carb.. high protien meals.. healthy snacks in between to keep your metabolism.

No fruit after 2pm. .. no meal 4 hours before you sleep..

aerobic excersize 2 times a day....... 30 to 40 minutes x 2 ....

if your loosing 1 lb. a week your doing very good.. try looking at 1 lb. of butter.

Save Sunday for your "cheat day" .. eat a little of the junk food you crave.. don't go overboard..

fast food is out... alcohol is cut back..

do these things and you will see a drop in your belt size..

the oly way to get the "6-pack" is to mix cardio with weights and diet..

A~C

Lani

I completely disagree with the above statement....And really,,so do you,,,If it all comes down to intake vs expenditure,,why can't you eat before you go to bed??,,If you're lifting any kind of weights you need to eat before you sleep to let the muscles repair themselves, Why can't you lose weight using the bowflex, You said 30 minutes on the bowflex doesn't expend calories?????I say it does...especially if you circuit train. I have been a CSCS for the last 16 years training everyone from moms and dads to elite level athletes and some competative bodybuilders...The best results I have ever seen come from the following.....Create a caloric defecit,,,,eat every three hours you are awake,,hungry or not,,never eat a carb by itself and lastly drink your bodyweight in water!!!

I completely disagree with the above statement....And really,,so do you,,,If it all comes down to intake vs expenditure,,why can't you eat before you go to bed??,,If you're lifting any kind of weights you need to eat before you sleep to let the muscles repair themselves, Why can't you lose weight using the bowflex, You said 30 minutes on the bowflex doesn't expend calories?????I say it does...especially if you circuit train. I have been a CSCS for the last 16 years training everyone from moms and dads to elite level athletes and some competative bodybuilders...The best results I have ever seen come from the following.....Create a caloric defecit,,,,eat every three hours you are awake,,hungry or not,,never eat a carb by itself and lastly drink your bodyweight in water!!!

It really depends on your goals and how you're exercising.

To truly build muscle (after the noobie gains) you need excess calories and protein. To lose fat you need a caloric deficit.

If you're lifting weights traditionally then you can't be burning a huge amount of fat or calories from it. If you do circuit training you can because it's more akin to aerobic exercise.

Drink your body weight in water? I hope you meant take your body weight in pounds and drink that many ounces of water a day (like a 200 lbs person drinks 200 oz of water).

• 4 months later...

+1 on the gym membership if that's an option for you. I know some people prefer working out at home, but $2,000 buys over 5 years worth of a membership at my gym.

There are many advantages IMO.

1) Access to a personal trainer

2) Available workout classes

3) Never have to worry about replacing/repairing equipment

4) Never have to move equipment

5) Access to both strength training and aerobic equipment

6) People around to spot you if you are lifting free weights

I'm sure there are others.

The key for the OP however is his word 'quickly'. It's not going to happen quickly, and working out alone isn't going to get it done either. Requires both diet and exercise to accomplish losing some inches. I know there's a bit of conflicting information here and I don't know enough to take sides. I do know that I basically have done what Lani has put forth and am down about 50 lbs since my peak weight back in June of 2009. I run 5 days a week and strength train 3 days if that helps any.

If I was going the home route, I would continue running outdoors, buy a TRX system (www.fitnessanywhere.com), a fitness ball and some dumbells. That would get me through my current workout routines, although not as easily as I can do it at my gym.

Edited by tomhorn

Go CrossFit

It will kick your ace and get you so damn fit its not even funny...

Marines

Military Special Forces (not just US)

MMA fighters

Fitness Freaks

LEO/Fire

US Army

US Navy

US Air Force

They all use it and swear by it.

It is the shit and it produces serious results.

Crossfit.com is all you need to know. Check out their vids and WODs....(Work out of the Day) Guaranteed to make ya puke....

NOBODY'S wrong here!!! Try everything said and find your comfort zone! Go to A fitness store and try everything you see.....and settle with the machine you're most comfortable with! Don't get the top of the line or the ones with the most electronice gizmos,,,,,they don't matter!

Other than that.....cut down on your food intake and just move......walk, take the stairs, run when you can, bike......don;t take the escalator, the elevator if jst going up/down 4 floors! you have to include lifting weights koz it helps and important as you grow older and if you have kids!

and lastly! MAKE THIS A LIFESTYLE CHANGE! WORKING OUT SHOULD BE PART OF YOUR LIFE! GIVE YOURSELF AT LEAST AN HOUR A DAY! MORE THE BETTER! FORGET THE ADDITIVES....EXCEPT MULTI VITAMINS, VIT D, FISH OIL AND CQ1O! THESE HAVE BEEN TESTED AND PROVEN! THE REST ARE JUST SNAKE OIL!!!!

I have a small gym at home with weights, a Nordic track and a Threadmill and I'm a GYM member! I also have a few Mountain bikes and a cross country ski!

I made my lifestyle change when I turned 27! I'm turning 55 this year with 118/70 BP......I do everything I mentioned! I lift weights 3x/week...benching 225lbs! I do at least one adventure a year...climb at least 1 mountain and a class V white rafting trip and a scuba dive if I can! Spend a few camping trips with the family in the summer or a backpacking trip somewhere!

I still dream of climbing Mt. Everest or the other 7 summits! As they say in the US Air Force........AIM HIGH!

GOOD LUCK SAMMY! AND STAY HEALTHY AND PROSPER!

Hike