When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review: Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine Diver "Blue Surf"

unregistered

Many of us here are fans of Ulysse Nardin and were sorely disappointed when the UN MMD Chrono was released instead of the non-chrono version which commands quite a following in the horological world. UN are stylishly designed watches, well known for winning the most chronometer awards as compared to any other brand.

263-36le-3.jpg

The Gen utilises a modified ETA 2892 movement with an additional soprod module adding the power reserve and seconds@6. We shall see how the rep has implemented this unique layout. Also, the Blue surf is a limited edition of 500 pieces.

Most of you are familiar with my reviews. Its simple, just follow the numbers between the GEN & REP pictures for the flaws.

Front

UNMMD_review_dial.jpg

1) There is an inner bevel missing from the bezel lip. Not very noticeable, but there.

2) 6 o'clocl marker is squashed. And there is a good reason for this. The seconds@6 subdial is off by 1mm. Its not terribly noticeable either, and only with two watches side by side would you notice it, but this has got to do with the difference in movements. Another thing to note is the date fonts is a little too bold as compared to the gen, but I prefer it.

Macro - PR and bezel

UNMMD_review_PR.jpg

1) This is going to bug some people. The surf waves on the dial for the gen are brushed, which thus gives them a different hue as compared to the dial when the light hits. The rep does not have this differentiating brushed effect.

2) The surf waves within the bezel are a lot more distinct and less numerous than the gen. On the gen, its a very faint pattern, whereas on the rep, they are imprinted a lot deeper. I personally prefer this as it adds to the whole theme of the watch. Also, the curve of the waves is a lot more pronounced, as is the sharp peak between two waves.

As you can see from the series of photos, the PR dial works! And its amazingly accurate as well.

Side

UNMMD_review_side.jpg

1) No real differences between the cases that I can tell. In fact to me, the crown on the rep is finer and sharper. It grips very well and doesn't hurt the skin either.

Back

Unfortunately I could not find any pictures of the display caseback on the gen. With that said, it is known that all exposed parts of the movement were coated with a blue titanium oxide. The rep obviously doesn't do this except for the rotor, so this is a major tell.

IMG_1889.jpg

Further to me not being able to find more pictures of the gen, I'm just leaving you now with a gallery of my shots of the rep.

IMG_1881.jpg

IMG_1882.jpg

IMG_1883.jpg

IMG_1885.jpg

IMG_1890.jpg

IMG_1886.jpg

Here is another flaw that I've found. All metal parts of the metal bracelet are meant to be made from Titanium. However the deployant is very obviously brushed steel from the weight. The two metal pieces though feel as though they are titanium. Just bear this in mind.

IMG_1892.jpg

UNMMD_back.jpg

IMG_1898.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg

Wristie

IMG_1894.jpg

The rep comes on a very very long rubber strap that needs to be cut to size, which I've yet to do.

So now. What's the verdict? Some here are claiming that for $178, they don't expect an excellant rep. Some reckon that this is not a quality piece, that the flaws outweigh the pros.

Well for me, I strongly disagree. This watch has always been a bit of a grail for me. Particularly the maroon MMD. The fact that they've finally managed to rep it, and from the pictures you can see, its an excellant rep. Its got a nice substantial weight, extremely classy design. The lines are sharp and overall its very well made. Yes there are flaws, but what rep doesn't have them? Are they dealbreakers? Far far from it in my book. So yes, I await the many more models that are meant to come, but until then, I am totally enamoured by this lovely piece and humbly suggest anyone still on the fence, to jump off and get it.

• Like 1

That's a fantastic and very comprehensive review, thanks for taking the time to put it all together :good: It's interesting how the rep actually has a few improvements over the gen, such as the bolder date font, and bolder wave-pattern in the bezel insert, and I would agree, that these are definitely worth calling improvements, rather than 'flaws in replication', as they enhance those aspects of the watch :good:

This is inded a very imformatiove and detailed review of a beautiful watch. :clapping: Thanks for taking the time to put it together for us. I want one of these :wub: , but I think I'll wait to see the different dial colors that Ive read are coming. The blue is beautiful, and I'll probably choose it after seeing the others, but I want to wait to be sure. I too like the bolder date font and the deeper cut waves. I hope they post the other dial colors soon!

Beautiful rep and thanks for the review.

However, here are very noticeable differences based on the pictures you provided. The surf to the left of seconds@6 is a bit further out to the left. Also the surf is not as crisp and sharp as the gen.

Big movement difference based on the picture unregistered gave.

Still, for $178, its a great deal. Now give it to me in Rose Gold with a white face.

Edited by MimiSars

Doubtful that the gen dial would fit since the subdial of the gen is in a different position. Too bad about the dial details tho, I wish they would have implemented the contrast between the background and waves like the gen. That feature gives the watch a unique appearance, IMO. Perhaps we can matt the dial ourselves with some precision abrasion?

many thanks for the review.

bosk

• 5 years later...

These look great, I was wondering now, years afterward if any of these watches are still going strong.. Im just now ordering my first of this style UN.. and any thoughts would be greatly appreciated..

IMO these fantastic peices do not get the respect and love they deserve..

thanks to all

Edited by freeboy