When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 228 - correct dial?

ft0472

I bought a Pam 228 from a member and the dial is more purple than the correct blue.

I've written several dealers and cant find one who will sell me just the correct blue dial.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Lest anyone get the wrong idea :), this is not my "shiny purple" DSN 228 that I started a thread about.

Sorry ft0472, but you are probably out of luck, as far as a correct 228 dial is concerned. DSN was the only dealer who used to have them (at least the closest to the original), but he has since switched to "shiny purple" dials :( Your best bet is too keep an eye on the sales forums and see if a dial or watch with a blue GMT dial comes up for sale.

I was lucky enough to have a great member spot an older Cartel blue GMT dial (a lot like the DSN's first blue 089 dial) for sale and pick it up for me. This dial will be replacing the "shiny purple" one that came with the DSN.

If you want to see what my "shiny purple" dial looks like, have a look at this thread. Pictures, of the beast in question, are at the end of the first post.

Drulee - my purple-dial cousin!

I looked at your photos. Mine don't look quite as "purple", but I'm guessing your photos were shot outdoors or with lots of light. See the attached photo of a gen 228 - I'm using this as reference.

So.. if 228 blue dials are not available, what do you think about "converting" it to another gmt (like 063, 088, 156, 089, 297). In other words, order a dial + caseback for one of those models and kill the whole idea of a 228?

What do you think would be most accurate to convert to considering the 228 is polished + brushed on the finish?

post-22905-125105686609_thumb.jpg

Drulee - my purple-dial cousin!

I looked at your photos. Mine don't look quite as "purple", but I'm guessing your photos were shot outdoors or with lots of light. See the attached photo of a gen 228 - I'm using this as reference.

So.. if 228 blue dials are not available, what do you think about "converting" it to another gmt (like 063, 088, 156, 089, 297). In other words, order a dial + caseback for one of those models and kill the whole idea of a 228?

What do you think would be most accurate to convert to considering the 228 is polished + brushed on the finish?

post-22905-125105686609_thumb.jpg

Mine is a DSN 228, not a Cartel one, there is no mistaking his dial for blue :)

Mine is a DSN 228, not a Cartel one, there is no mistaking his dial for blue :)

I don't know if it's going to make you guys feel better or not, but there was no mistaking DSN's first generation dial for a gen dial either. His color was better (but by no means exact IMO) to be to sure but had the ususal DSN dial problems as well.

If you have to have a 228 rep, I'd keep looking in the sales section for one of the combos (cartel case/ caseback/ crown + DSN dial, Hands, CG I believe) some folks made.

I don't know if it's going to make you guys feel better or not, but there was no mistaking DSN's first generation dial for a gen dial either. His color was better (but by no means exact IMO) to be to sure but had the ususal DSN dial problems as well.

If you have to have a 228 rep, I'd keep looking in the sales section for one of the combos (cartel case/ caseback/ crown + DSN dial, Hands, CG I believe) some folks made.

I've settled on putting an older blue 089 cartel dial in mine. It is a bit like DSN's original blue 089 dial, but not quite. It will do for now, just missing the "Firenze" print though. Right now I'm not too concerned that is nothing like the gen, not much chance that anyone would know what the gen 228 looked like anyway, not even a Paneristi :)