When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need Forum's Opinion on a Watch Bought from another Forum Member

big e

Hey fellow RWG members,

I bought this watch from a well-respected member of this forum and RepGeek. I was told the dial, hands and scratched crystal were genuine. I was told that the dial and hands were genuine Trtium. I was also told that the dial was a rare 'Prototype' dial. Like most fish stories this one came with a story about being sold out the back door of a Panerai Service Center.

Please give me your 2 cents with regards to the dial, crystal and hands.

BigEProtoLUME.jpg

BigEProto10.jpg

BigEProto3.jpg

BigEProto4.jpg

BigEProto6.jpg

BigEProto7.jpg

BigEProto8.jpg

I bought this watch from a well-respected member of this forum and RepGeek. I was told the dial, hands and scratched crystal were genuine. I was told that the dial and hands were genuine Trtium. I was also told that the dial was a rare 'Prototype' dial. Like most fish stories this one came with a story about being sold out the back door of a Panerai Service Center.

With all watches like this, you're buying the seller.

If the seller is trusted, it's plausible. Its a hokey story, but if the seller is genuine, you're all set.

Oh, if it is indeed tritium, it's 99.9% genuine. You can't get that paint easily.

After 12 years it's half as bright. Not sure if you can charge it up with light though.

Not quite. At 12 years, it's half as radioactive, not half as bright. :-)

Oh, and sure you can charge it. Tritium paint isn't just tritium; it's tritium, a phosphorescent and a luminous element.

As long as it's less than 12 years old. :)

12 is half life anyway so there'd still be a faint glow. what looks odd to me is the dial itself, the numerals are so thick it's got to be a "fatto a mano" dial but IF it's a gen preA 002 base the 6 and the 9 should be open and it should be T-SWISS-T. But if it's a contemporary 002 this is what it should look like:

IMG_4932.jpg

Edited by w0lf

Hands look gen - but that's the strangest dial I've ever seen ...unique whatever the origins but if it is gen it's surely worth a chunk!??

Couldn't comment with any certainty on the dial - some things look to be correct but a Marina base dial doesn't make sense??

Thanks for posting - interesting to follow this one ;)

FGD

There are a lot of weird things with that dial <_<

Fat numbers,closed 6 & 9, Luminor Marina without the Militare and T Swiss T

I've never seen a dial printed like that - perhaps it is a prototype dial for a 202 :g:

hands look like they could be Gen Tritium...

If it were Tritium, the dial would glow the same amount constantly.

I have had the pleasure/displeasure of holding this watch. The printing quality on the dial is poor.

The hands are DEFINITELY luminova and probably not OEM.

Big-E, I think you should remove the dial and show the thickness and the back of the dial.

:clapping:

I think I'll do that and post the pics. Will that help determine gen proto or repainted rep?

Thanks for all your input, especially you Big Crown!!!

I have had the pleasure/displeasure of holding this watch. The printing quality on the dial is poor.

Big-E, I think you should remove the dial and show the thickness and the back of the dial.

Anyone else have any opinions? I'm definitely not an expert and really would like to here from our most knowledgable members and here what they have to say.

I find some threads / posts interesting. I am learning in the world of reps, most people here know as much as me, or more...

re: The lume/tritium mix. If it is tritium. it can wear out. once it is "worn out" light will not "charge" . My old tritium sights ('nuff said') don't glow now after 15 years...ever.. even if i hold a 500w light to them. If it is a mix with a "lume / chargeable" substance, anything is possible. I hope this clarifies some.

I find some threads / posts interesting. I am learning in the world of reps, most people here know as much as me, or more...

re: The lume/tritium mix. If it is tritium. it can wear out. once it is "worn out" light will not "charge" . My old tritium sights ('nuff said') don't glow now after 15 years...ever.. even if i hold a 500w light to them. If it is a mix with a "lume / chargeable" substance, anything is possible. I hope this clarifies some.

Thanks SpineDoc. (finally) someone has the same experience as I do with tritium. Whether it is Night sights for your pistol, a vintage Rolex, a vintage compass or a Panerai with a "T" dial, I have never heard of tritium glowing after being charged or exposed to light like the photos above.

The supposed 'proto' dial looks like hell in person. The luminova has been vintagized and has dirt/crap/smegma smeared on it (hands too) and is really not pleasing when held in your hand. Oops, I said I would not crap on this watch publicly. :nea:

Thanks SpineDoc. (finally) someone has the same experience as I do with tritium. Whether it is Night sights for your pistol, a vintage Rolex, a vintage compass or a Panerai with a "T" dial, I have never heard of tritium glowing after being charged or exposed to light like the photos above.

That's because it's not just Tritium.

That dial is reacting the exact same way as my 1986 Speedmaster dial, only brighter from pure darkness. Tritium paint is sometimes half luminous, half phosphorescent. When the tritium expires, you can sometimes get a glow on the regular luminous parts. Try shining a UV light at it and photographing it.

If that dial glows from straight darkness without charging, it's Tritium paint, and in this case it's over 10-year old tritium paint by the look of things.

23-year old Tritium paint:

Speedmaster-07-640.jpg

Recent Tritium Paint:

fortis-10-640.jpg

Withholding the sellers user ID may give the op some leverage, but it does absolutely nothing for the membership at large.

Here's the test: Is the seller saying "that's what the guy I bought it from told me?" If so, I'd be very worried. That's the scammer's last line of defense.

EDIT: I'd love to take another look at this piece since I have some dubious T hands I bought a couple years ago--can you repost or PM the pics?