When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

would you swap a gen for a rep?

zesh

Hi

I have just aquired a gen Oris williams day date, but i have always had the urge to get a HBB all black.

Would it be ridiculous if i was to advertise a swap of my oris for a Hublot? I'm in two minds about it. The oris is my first gen but i just don't feel satisfied by it even thought it will last forever with regular servicing.

What does everyone think i should do?

Hi

I have just aquired a gen Oris williams day date, but i have always had the urge to get a HBB all black.

Would it be ridiculous if i was to advertise a swap of my oris for a Hublot? I'm in two minds about it. The oris is my first gen but i just don't feel satisfied by it even thought it will last forever with regular servicing.

What does everyone think i should do?

Bearing the boldened text in mind, I'd say get rid of it for a watch which you do connect with :) Rep or gen, who cares... At the end of the day, a nice watch is a nice watch regardless, and as long as you like it, that's all that matters :)

I was thinking a gen is a gen, so all the advantages are apparent. The Hublot is a very expensive watch at nearly $800 for a full ceramic. So the swap may equal out. I can't believe that i could acquire a gen but still lust for a rep.

I really don't want to sell my Oris then buy the rep, i'd consider the swap, because i have the opportunity to give someone the pleasure of a gen.

It's really strange, I could just buy a all black Chopard, Porsche design chrono, IWC top gun or even a bell & ross phantom. The Hublot just pushes the right buttons but i fear that by giving up a gen for a rep, it could be a terrible mistake.

Can anyone verbally beat some sense into me? or is this normal behavior for a person who loves watches?

I was thinking a gen is a gen, so all the advantages are apparent. The Hublot is a very expensive watch at nearly $800 for a full ceramic. So the swap may equal out. I can't believe that i could acquire a gen but still lust for a rep.

I really don't want to sell my Oris then buy the rep, i'd consider the swap, because i have the opportunity to give someone the pleasure of a gen.

It's really strange, I could just buy a all black Chopard, Porsche design chrono, IWC top gun or even a bell & ross phantom. The Hublot just pushes the right buttons but i fear that by giving up a gen for a rep, it could be a terrible mistake.

Can anyone verbally beat some sense into me? or is this normal behavior for a person who loves watches?

Yes, a gen is a gen, but, if you're not bonding with it, then it's just "a watch you don't like", so it being gen rather than rep, really only matters in terms of the value it may hold in a sale or exchange situation, and even if you sell or swap, either way, the person on the other end of the transaction still gets the pleasure of a gen :)

At the end of the day, it comes down to what you're comfortable with as a watch, and what you like. A while back, I bought a (rep) Vacheron Constantin Overseas, as from the photos, it looked like a gorgeous watch. And, when it arrived, it was indeed a gorgeous watch. But. As much as I liked looking at it, I couldn't stand wearing it, so I got rid of it very quickly. It had nothing to do with the watch being a rep, as it was a gorgeous watch, it just "wasn't me" when it came to wearing it...

I'll toss in my thoughts since I have been all gens lately and don't see a time to go for another rep. My attraction to gens is that there is a much better chance that someone actually took their time putting it together, there probably was some actual craftsmanship involved and perhaps, at times even some care and quality. This, of course, is all matters of degree but gens have a better feel to me in that they represent the quality of a person employing the art of watchmaking. With that said, I would consider a rep only if someome like The Zigmeister took it totally apart and put it together again. You might get this HBB and on the surface it might look great, but there just isn't enough soul in it for me to put it on my wrist...imo.

I understand both of the above arguments, I think that one a deeper level that it is a flaw in my mindset that i would give up a gen that has been "crafted"(however is it has a standard off the shelf Eta movement)for some thing that people may actually notice even thought it's a rep.

I would'ent say that i did'ent like my Oris, but it just doe'ent have that wow factor that i thought all gens had. I suppose i was thinkin there was an enormous difference between all gens and reps, but there is'ent.

It just feels better to look down at my AR coated rep that has presence than my "crafted" gen which is far more discreet. I thought owning a gen would kill off my passion for reps, but this hobby perseveres.

Does anyone have a all black HBB to tempt me with?

I understand both of the above arguments, I think that one a deeper level that it is a flaw in my mindset that i would give up a gen that has been "crafted"(however is it has a standard off the shelf Eta movement)for some thing that people may actually notice even thought it's a rep.

I would'ent say that i did'ent like my Oris, but it just doe'ent have that wow factor that i thought all gens had. I suppose i was thinkin there was an enormous difference between all gens and reps, but there is'ent.

It just feels better to look down at my AR coated rep that has presence than my "crafted" gen which is far more discreet. I thought owning a gen would kill off my passion for reps, but this hobby perseveres.

Does anyone have a all black HBB to tempt me with?

Within the past couple of years, I've tried on the following gens:

Ebel Discovery 1911

Explorer II (white dial)

Date Just (black dial)

GMT II Ceramic

Submariner

Some Bvlgari, but I'm not familiar with the model name...

Tag Aquaracer

Omega Planet Ocean (both sizes)

The only ones which actually impressed me in any way, was the GMT II C, and even then, I didn't like the polished mid-links of the bracelet (and still didn't think if was worth £5000) and the Ebel Discovery (and even then, it's not a watch I could see myself wearing day in, day out, so no point in me buying one...) The Explorer II, came off my wrist within seconds of the clasp closing. The Aquaracer left me feeling seriously disappointed, the Planet Oceans were nice, but I honestly couldn't see any improvement over the rep, for the cost involved.

While I would not dispute a person's own experiences or appreciation for a gen watch, personally speaking, it is not a phenomenon I experience, so to me, I just think a watch is a watch, regardless, and, accordingly, a nice watch is a nice watch regardless, and, at the end of the day, it's just a matter of personal tastes and requirements :)