When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need Sea-Gull ST19 (Venus75 rep?) stem info

Drulee

I'm trying to upgrade a couple of crowns that are in place on these movements. However, I have no idea what stems they take. Someone has suggested they take same stem as the Venus75, but I have not been able to get confirmation of this.

Does anyone have the part numbers, or a link to the movement diagram, etc.?

Thx

• 1 month later...

From what I've read, the ST19 is a straight copy of the Venus 175 as they bought the machinery from the Russians to make it.

ST19 Info

"The ST1901 movement is nearly identical to the Venus 175 - parts are interchangeable. But the movement is not a copy or clone. It actually is the Venus 175, because Seagull has purchased the tooling from Venus in the early 1960ies. Seagull did copy the tooling to be able to produce at 2 locations. Differences or improvements to the Venus 175 are the increased beat (the Venus only had 18000 bph) and an added incabloc style shock absorber."

ST1901

ST1901small.jpg

ST1902

http://www.tjseagull.com/wkt/19/1902w.pdf (link to pdf diagram of ST1902

Well that's inconvenient isn't it Zig (needing folks like you to have to machine these that is). Sheesh...and to think that a company like Seagull who sells complete watches and movements doesn't have a supply chain operation. It's sad. I had an email in to the American Seagull rep...didn't hear back. :(

Lucky to have you on the team Zig!!

Zig...

I need a stem for a seagull st-19...i have an Omega Broad Arrow seagull st-19...i pulled the crown out to set the time and ended up with the crown in my hand...the end broke off inside the crown...the crown is now soaking in white vinegar...soooo, i will need a replacment stem, Z...if my watches haven't shipped yet, can you toss one in...and let me know the cost...

Here's a question...i have an old broken FM handwind...which is seagull/venus175/whatever...definitely a silmilar movement to the one in the Omega...so i checked out the stem...the two stems are slightly different...definitely same size, but the "bulging" piece closes to the crown is different on the two...i'm not an expert and can shoot some pix later if need be...describing the stem - from crown to movement: threads, round'ish bulge1, small 1mm of thread, round'ish bulge2, stem rectangular cylinder end...

so all this said, does the stem have to be identical...or would the older, but slightly different, FM one work...

attached is a macro pix of the Omega stem...

thanks...R

post-16947-125657407655_thumb.jpg

@R

Not gone out yet, did the best I could with the CG feet, it's all ready to head your way, I'll include a stem.

There can be slight differences in the stem, the critical dimensions are the tip, the square boss, and the round section with the grove for the set lever. The diameters and length of each sections are what you need to compare, if it came from the same type of movement I would try it out and it should work just fine.

I just took some quick pix of the stems...i tried to line them up as best i can...the bottom one is slightly farther to the right than the top one...

The top one is the stem from the Omega seagull st-19 (per by-tor review of this watch)

The bottom one is the stem from the FM Casablanca handwind (josh has these listed as venus 75?!?!...is there a 75 or is this a typo for 175?...

any info/advice/learnings is appreciated, Z!...i didn't want to "try it out" if its wrong...don't want to screw up the movement...pls let me know what you think...

R-

img4441medium.jpg

img4439medium.jpg

cool...ya know, that could be why the top one broke...

from the visual eye, the top one (the one that broke from the Omega) does look a little smaller overall than the bottom one (from the FM)...you can kinda see that from the pix, too - altho i held the camera close and took a macro shot - so there is an optical difference in the pix, too...all in all the two are close, but the bottom one is larger overall...

i also discovered that the crown didn't have a rubber gasket in it before i put it in the vinegar...is there a source for this, somewhere...

ahhhhh - the joys of this hobby...

R...thanks for your expertise and advice!...

R-

Don't sell off those ST-19 stems The Zigmeister, I've accumulated four watches with this movement, and bought a Daytona homage (UGHH! I hate Rolexes) with one it for spare parts - just in case :) So you know if anything ever goes wrong with these, they are off to you :D

I'll have to see if the stem from that "Daytona" is salvageable. It does look kind of short though :(

You hold the square boss in a pin vice, and simply unscrew the crown from the stem...

Using pliers is possible but only if you hold the stem by the threaded part. Pliers are risky because your not lined up when you try and unscrew, and you risk breaking the stem off in the crown.

With any watch work, the best habits to form are the right ones by using the right tools, I am not a big fan of hack or buckshee work (my appologies to hackR, I am not referring to the person, but the method) :)

I see ruined watches all the time, which is totally avoidable.

You hold the square boss in a pin vice, and simply unscrew the crown from the stem...

Using pliers is possible but only if you hold the stem by the threaded part. Pliers are risky because your not lined up when you try and unscrew, and you risk breaking the stem off in the crown.

With any watch work, the best habits to form are the right ones by using the right tools, I am not a big fan of hack or buckshee work (my appologies to hackR, I am not referring to the person, but the method) :)

I see ruined watches all the time, which is totally avoidable.

Ah yes, the pin vice, completely forgot that I had one. Thanks.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 years later...