When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New SMP Chrono vs Old SMP Chrono

b.diddy

The planet ocean is the best replicated Seamaster right now. The new 5th gen 42mm I picked up has a bezel clickspring for pete's sake.

The PO chrono has similar issues to the SMP. Bad HE valve and chrono pusher placement, recessed datewheel, happy feet, etc.

If you want the best out of the box, get the new UPO (updated logo) or the 5th gen 42mm PO.

Have to disagree with you. The old school Seamaster Chrono is all but perfect. The only two flaws being the bracelet pins (undetectable anyway) and the slightly low pearl. The new PO and the UPO are nice, but I don't think the dial comes anywhere close to the gen, and the pearl is even farther off. I can easily spot a fake PO, but many times in pawn shops I have not been able to confirm the validity of an SMP Chrono one way or the other. It really is that good.

Have to disagree with you. The old school Seamaster Chrono is all but perfect. The only two flaws being the bracelet pins (undetectable anyway) and the slightly low pearl. The new PO and the UPO are nice, but I don't think the dial comes anywhere close to the gen, and the pearl is even farther off. I can easily spot a fake PO, but many times in pawn shops I have not been able to confirm the validity of an SMP Chrono one way or the other. It really is that good.

I thought he asked for right now not ever... You can't order the old SMP Chrono right now.

The new smp looks nice but the too-short subdial hands are too big of a flaw for me. The pearl is also a tell when viewed in person.

I ended up buying a gen silver-bezeled smp chrono for about 1350 on eBay. I think it differentiates itself sufficiently from the available reps - silver bezel, tritium lume (though pretty weak now), uniformity of links in bracelet under close inspection, rhodium plated mvt with regulator, serial no on mvt matching that on case, etc.

I think because of the relative accessibility of the price, like Bytor's steelfish, I just felt in the end it was worth it to buy a gen used (new is just not worthwhile given the depreciation on omegas).

Yes, the newest one fixes the Omega letters. If they would just fix those short hands...!

The older white font one is excellent, but still the pearl and shaved/shallow waves on the caseback (vs graduated/smooth waves)...arg. I'm probably too picky though. For two bills and change it's hard to argue its value.

Yes, the newest one fixes the Omega letters. If they would just fix those short hands...!

The older white font one is excellent, but still the pearl and shaved/shallow waves on the caseback (vs graduated/smooth waves)...arg. I'm probably too picky though. For two bills and change it's hard to argue its value.

welcome to rwg :thumbsupsmileyanim:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I have the new SMP chrono on order. Received QC pics recently. The omega font is indeed fixed, as is the HE valve position. The dial on cursory inspection is indistinguishable from the gen. As usual however, the pearl is a give-away. It's oversized and a little too recessed, with a greenish tint. The pearl touches the edges of the triangle, whereas on the gen there is discernable white space between the pearl and the edges. The engravings on the back are also excellent. Certainly nothing gives away it's lack of authenticity, at least to the untrained eye. I'm tempted to buy an authentic bezel, but at the price of a high-end rep, I might just purchase a TAG Aquaracer if I want to fool people.

Sorry for bumping a 6-month old thread, but I figured some people would be interested in hearing about the new rep. Here are a couple of pics.

ZqpYa.jpg

LBlVU.jpg