When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai Luminor Marina Auto 40mm

Hello123

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I'm interested in purchasing a Panerai Luminor Auto for myself. I have a small wrist so I opting for the 40MM. I was looking at the website called Trusty Time and found what I was looking for. The pictures seem to be of the replica and the watch seems to be of high quality. Just wondering how close are the replicas to the real thing just from looks alone ( on a scale of 0-100% )? Also, what is the overall quality of a replica? Lastly, what is the difference between the Asia 7750 movement and say that of a Swiss Unitas 6497 movement? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

I just got a PAM 120 rep from Josh about 4 weeks ago. It's a 40mm w/ a blue dial. Great looking watch. I've taken it to my local dealer and compared it to other 40mms (namely the 50 and 51). The bracelet is spot on. The weight, feel, colour, etc. of the bracelet are virtually identical, as is the case. There is a serial or model number on the inside of one link on the gen that is missing on the rep but you really can't tell the difference without a loupe. Also, the caseback says 0938/5000, which was true for the 70 model, but the 120s production was limited to 500. (yes, I'm aware that it's anal retentive, but that's really all part of the fun, isn't it).

As to the dial, I tried on a gen at Tourneau about 9 weeks ago, which made me want this one. The colour is right, and everything else on the dial is very close. The date mag is rather weak, however. Only an owner of a 120 or a dealer that knows them well could tell. Also, the lume on the dial is virtually non-existant, but in the light there is a green cast to the numbers and markers that make you think that it would glow all night. Just don't take it to the cinema and you should be fine.

This one is taking all the wrist time and the other watches are envious. I have no problem wearing it in public in any situation, whereas my SS Sub (as close as it is) gets a second thought if I am going to be in the company of people that might know the model.

A jeweler friend of mine that sells Breitling, Omega, Baume & Mercier, etc., asks about it every time I see him and marvels at the quality. That's good enough for me. If he's impressed then I know it's good.

The movement is a hampster running in a wheel, really. If you take off the back you find a tiny little Asian movement, held in place by the canon pinion and the stem. The plastic spacer ring does no one any good, but I guess if you're going to pay that kind of money you've got to have the plastic spacer ring :p . But it does have working seconds at nine, the date clicks immediately at midnight and it hacks (two features that my Miyota driven Invicta lacks).

I would highly recommend the purchase. For the money it is one of the best reps I have. I'm not very good at 1-100 scales, but I've heard that it's one of the more accurate PAMs. I hope that helps.

Good luck, and post a review if you decide to get one.

(I will add some pics as soon as I get some time.)