When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New-style Omega SMP chrono review!

gioarmani

Here's one of my latest of 2 acquisitions from Eurotimez, the newer style Seamaster Professional Chronograph.

Before buying, I was torn between the old style & new-style chronograph and--already having owned the older style--eventually went for the newer of the two.

Obvious flaw of the way the letters join on the steel ohm/Omega symbol on the dial aside, this is actually a bit sharper than what I had imagined, overall.

Great insert, sharp bezel, nice flush pearl:

IMG_3382.jpg

IMG_3350.jpg

IMG_3346.jpg

IMG_3379.jpg

IMG_3342.jpg

IMG_3343.jpg

IMG_3373.jpg

Here's a nice step-up for the band--pins that fit the links together, like the gen. They have heads that look like screws, but don't screw in; they actually need to be pushed in & out:

IMG_3340.jpg

IMG_3335-1.jpg

IMG_3351.jpg

Here's something else I like--the new "anti-counterfiet" engraving the gens are being stamped with on the case-back :) :

IMG_3357.jpg

IMG_3360.jpg

The nicest thing about the band is the links are nice & tight--as far as Omegas go, having owned the gen, this is probably one of the closest to gen bands that I've ever felt. Great clasp engraving:

IMG_3385.jpg

IMG_3364.jpg

The case construction is very solid; lovely sharp lines and crisp markings:

IMG_3371.jpg

IMG_3387.jpg

IMG_3390.jpg

Clean movement, and elegant rotor:

a-1.jpg

Lume is good too, slightly above average for most reps:

IMG_3420.jpg

IMG_3424.jpg

All in all I really like this piece more than I had thought, to be completely honest. The "Omega" on the dial isn't noticeable from more than a foot, so it's not really of any concern to me. One other thing I do like over the previous version is the fact that the lume on the hour-markers is ringed in metal, and not simply painted on the dial, like the original SMP chrono.

Hope you enjoyed. Thanks for reading. :)

IMG_3382.jpg

IMG_3393.jpg

Looks good Gio. Definitely nice as is. Chiefs AR would look sharp though. Weird how they did the bracelet pins. Maybe you could replace with non headed pins like the gen? Did the insert come lined up correctly? See the case even has a serial#. Nice.

Great review bro. I just picked up one second hand that's got chief double AR. Makes an already stellar dial look stunning. only downside to mine was the dang crown. Stripped after the first timechange. Not too big of an issue. Ordered a gen replacement crown and tube from Ofrei, and just need to send her out to have it replaced.

Excellent pics, and wonderful review.

Looks good Gio. Definitely nice as is. Chiefs AR would look sharp though. Weird how they did the bracelet pins. Maybe you could replace with non headed pins like the gen? Did the insert come lined up correctly? See the case even has a serial#. Nice.

Great idea--any source for the pins? Guess I would have to have a measurement though...

The insert actually was lined up correctly. :)

thanks for the great review Gio.. Solid as always !!!

just for info.. the anti counterfeiting stamp ws being used on the speedy reps that came out a couple of years ago.. were they on the first generation genuine SMP's ?? just wondering

speedys018.jpg

The older style SMP chrono did not have the anti-RWG stamp. :) Neither did my gen, actually...

Rep:

IMG_0023.jpg

Gen:

IMG_3900.jpg

Great review bro. I just picked up one second hand that's got chief double AR. Makes an already stellar dial look stunning. only downside to mine was the dang crown. Stripped after the first timechange. Not too big of an issue. Ordered a gen replacement crown and tube from Ofrei, and just need to send her out to have it replaced.

Excellent pics, and wonderful review.

My gen SMP chrono didn't have any AR, as none of the first generation did; I know the new style does have AR, but does anyone know if it's one sided or two on the genuine, and if it's only one-sided, I'm guessing it's on the top of the crystal?

Thanks in advance.

SMP chrono is actually my oldest rep currently. I will never trade it, it's one of the nicest watches out there (gen or rep). Excellent macho design and wrist presence (while still being moderately sized).

My gen SMP chrono didn't have any AR, as none of the first generation did; I know the new style does have AR, but does anyone know if it's one sided or two on the genuine, and if it's only one-sided, I'm guessing it's on the top of the crystal?

Thanks in advance.

The gen has one sided AR, on the inside of the crystal.

Thanks in advance.

I have one of these as well, and I really like it.

I was at Tourneau in San Francisco's Union Center a few weeks back, and I had a chance to handle the real SMP Chrono, and to my surprise, it doesn't have any AR that I can see. The crystal is very clear, and very little reflection can be seen, but I did not see any obvious signs of AR coating. If there is any it might be on the inside, but not the outside. I also looked at the Planet ocean which does have it, and it's immediately obvious, but not the SMP.

Before that I was considering having the crystal AR'ed but not anymore. Yes, the AR coating makes the watch dial pop, but it's no longer like the gen.

So for this watch, the only mod I would do is replace the incorrect Omega logos on the dial, or better yet get a gen dial.

I have one of these as well, and I really like it.

I was at Tourneau in San Francisco's Union Center a few weeks back, and I had a chance to handle the real SMP Chrono, and to my surprise, it doesn't have any AR that I can see. The crystal is very clear, and very little reflection can be seen, but I did not see any obvious signs of AR coating. If there is any it might be on the inside, but not the outside. I also looked at the Planet ocean which does have it, and it's immediately obvious, but not the SMP.

Before that I was considering having the crystal AR'ed but not anymore. Yes, the AR coating makes the watch dial pop, but it's no longer like the gen.

So for this watch, the only mod I would do is replace the incorrect Omega logos on the dial, or better yet get a gen dial.

It depends on which model you were looking at--the old style SMP chrono with the white dial print I had a gen of has no AR at all. The new style with "Seamaster" in red, does have AR, but only one-sided. Thanks to Andreww we now know which side. :)

Great review!

I have the old SMP chrono, but your review really makes me want the new as well.. The overall finish on this actually looks to be even a bit better. :)

I believe the "3303" on the rotor is the model number for the tri-compax movement used in the Broad Arrow among others. But, it does not really matter. Lokks better than a plain rotor. :)