When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor 7032 Monte Carlo

i've always wondered how Oyster cases that are water resistant get dirty and dusty inside and get discolored datewheels.

Oyster cases still rely on rubber gaskets to keep moisture out. Over, let's say, a thirty year period, there would be ample opportunity for a gasket to dry out or fail (or a plastic crystal to form small cracks...)

When i was 14-15, i went to my dad's best friends house, and he took out his vintage (not as vintage back then, mind you) watch collection to show me...

they were:

1) Porche design IWC chrono,

2) 5513 (5512?)

3) A large 70's Heuer Chono

and last but not least

4)Tudor Montecarlo

I will never forget seeing the Tudor and, having no idea what it(or any of the rest were for that matter) was until many years later when the bug hit me hard enough to start looking for something myself... As soon as I saw a Monte Carlo on ebay, i remembered my dad's friends watch watch immediately...

I just remeber thinking it was the coolest watch i had ever seen!!!... (funnily enough, i also remember thinking the 5513/12 was pretty boring compared to all the rest... now i pretty much only wear subs... taste evolves with age I guess)

To this day, every time i see a Montecarlo, it brings me back there to the day at my dad's friends place again..

Thanks!!

Wear it in good health !!

Rgds

ED

Oyster cases still rely on rubber gaskets to keep moisture out. Over, let's say, a thirty year period, there would be ample opportunity for a gasket to dry out or fail (or a plastic crystal to form small cracks...)

To add to that Avitt.. lume ages .... dry's and produces "dust".. it produces a patina and get's "fluffy".. ergo creating lume dust on the dial..

along with oxygen .. whenever you open the crown oxygen enters the case.. allowing corrosion. to painted parts.. etc. .. (although micro corrosion,, corrosion over the years none the less).. the dryer land masses without Oceans surrounding them have less salt in the air.. I would imagine metal's are in much better condition say in Nebraska then Coastal lying area's.

In Hawaii everything corrodes prematurely..... even in the valley's.. ya cannot escape the salt air.. B)

AC

Lani

• Like 1

First for those who are not versed in the "History" of the Tudor line.. learning the history behind the timepieces has enhanced my passion for this hobby.. without the history your just wearing a "watch".. understanding and appreciating the History of what you wear .. makes it a "timepiece" that has evolved through the ages..IMHO...

A brief history of the Tudor line:

The History of Rolex Tudor Watches

In 1905 Wilsdorf launched his own company in England and started producing high quality watches. Then in 1908, he registered the "Rolex" brand in La Chaux-de-Fonds Switzerland. The company remained in England fifteen years approximately and in 1920 moved to Geneva.

It was not until 1946 that Hans Wilsdorf first opened Tudor. Wilsdorf chose the name Tudor because he wanted to honor the Tudor period of England.

The Tudor watches used the Tudor Rose signed on the dial which is the heraldic emblem of England and takes its origin from the Tudor dynasty. Ending 1960's Tudor changes its famous Rose sign for the actual Shield sign.

The main difference between Rolex and Tudor could be seen already in the 40's when the first Rolex Tudor Oyster was introduced: Inside the screwed-in Oyster case, instead of a Rolex manufactured movement, there was a movement supplied by Ebauches SA, ETA.

Throughout the years, Rolex Tudor Chrono models stands out since the brand manufactures them from the beginning with valijoux movements that were modified and improved for Rolex Tudor watches (similar to those manufactured for Rolex chronographs) including exotic dials such as the Rolex Tudor Montecarlo series with diverse colors and designs.

Rolex Tudor chonograph movements evolved from manual to automatic, with deeper cases and plastic crystals.

Reference ~ Interwatches.com

the 7032 and 7031(acrylic bezel) circa 1971 .. the case (gen) was made by Rolex and was the first generation of the Tudor /Chrono's made with the steel bezel.. or in the case of the 7031 the bakelite bezel.. the "homeplates" shaped indexes were their distinctive features..and the orange colours of the dial ..

they were only produced in 1971 and the gens. command some fairly high prices these days..40k plus..

I have the genuine manual wind cal. 7734 .. the only tell is the homeplates it is a bit further away from the ticks than the genuine.. I've seen the genuine dial for sale at an insane listing... :lol: .. so I'm happy with the ND edition..

AC

Lani

When i was 14-15, i went to my dad's best friends house, and he took out his vintage (not as vintage back then, mind you) watch collection to show me...

they were:

1) Porche design IWC chrono,

2) 5513 (5512?)

3) A large 70's Heuer Chono

and last but not least

4)Tudor Montecarlo

I will never forget seeing the Tudor and, having no idea what it(or any of the rest were for that matter) was until many years later when the bug hit me hard enough to start looking for something myself... As soon as I saw a Monte Carlo on ebay, i remembered my dad's friends watch watch immediately...

I just remeber thinking it was the coolest watch i had ever seen!!!... (funnily enough, i also remember thinking the 5513/12 was pretty boring compared to all the rest... now i pretty much only wear subs... taste evolves with age I guess)

To this day, every time i see a Montecarlo, it brings me back there to the day at my dad's friends place again..

Thanks!!

Wear it in good health !!

Rgds

ED

I love these kinds of posts.

Nice pics 'lanikai'! The 'macro' shot is an achievement in and of itself, but it sure do show up the flaws. That date window? Yuk. This is why Playboy perfected the 'soft focus' technique. :)

Nice pics 'lanikai'! The 'macro' shot is an achievement in and of itself, but it sure do show up the flaws. That date window? Yuk. This is why Playboy perfected the 'soft focus' technique. :)

yeah right ?? "so easy a caveman did it" :thumbsupsmileyanim:

A friend of mine was a makeup artist for Playboy... not just facial makeup.. :Jumpy: .. needless to say I offered to help.. :black_eye:

but yeah the macro is sometimes too good.. all the little flaws show up .. that you cannot see with the naked eye.. good and bad at the same time.... ying and yang me thinks.. :lol:

AC

Lani

It sometimes makes me wonder if all of this ultra close-up and macro photography that we have grown so fond/addicted to actually causes us problems and makes it so we can't really be 100% satisfied with anything! I might just start scaling things so that they appear more or less life-sized on the screen...

• 6 months later...