When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch package held up at UK Customs

RichBlack

Hi Guys,

Just bought a BK modded WM9 YM off the sales board :thumbsupsmileyanim: and the watch has been sent from CONUS VIA USPS Track and Trace. I have received plenty of items from the US before and wasn't paticularly worried about UK Customs.

Unfortunately, the package has been held up by UK Customs and I have just recieved a Customs & Excise form through the post. The form requires me to fil in the details of the package and provide a copy of the invoice/payment, I am guessing I will just have to declare it as a pre-owned watch and take the VAT bill (£55)on the chin? :black_eye:

Anyway reading the covering letter, it would appear the reason it has been stopped is because the sender declared the item as a gift, but failed to declare what the item was and it's value.

Has anyone got any advice on what my next step is or how to reduce the chance of items getting stopped by UK Customs in the future?

I suppose my first lesson from this would be to avoid USPS/Parcelforce and just get items sent via regular mail!

Cheers,

Richie

I receive many items from USA through USPS/Parcelforce without any problems and it is very unlikely the parcel has been opened from America. As you say the reason will be that the seller did not fully declare the contents. I always declare as a either a watch bracelet - $15-$20 or costume jewelry and always tick the gift option. Just telll them it is an early xmas gift and make up what is inside as I doubt they will open and check, they never have with me yet anyway.

Thanks for the reply Watcher,

I am very tempted just to declare the watch as something else. But,the excise form requires proof of payment or invoice attaching for the item and I don't have anything else I can use to provide evidence of the transaction for the item. Don't really want to pay the

They will send it back to "sender" if you do not respond.. whatever you do ... don't lie to them.. that will certainly put you in their sights...usually watches are labeled gifts .. 30 usd.. contact the seller let him know what happened .. take it from there.. it will have "watch" on the declaration paper work ..so check with your seller before you make a move..you can't tell them now that it is worth xx amount of dollars they will surely open the package and are very aware of the value of the genuine article. it may have to come back to the seller and then be reshipped.

if forced to deal with customs I would advise you say.. dunno must be a gift?? don't volunteer any information that would compromise your statement..

AC

L

Thanks for the advice Lani,

I have already contacted the seller to find out how the watch was packaged, just waiting for a response and will take it from there.

Just got a PM from the seller, he declared the package as broken watch for repair and valueof $50. Just completed the form without an invoice (private sale) and faxed it off. will find out if everything is ok when i check the tracking :unsure:.

Cheers,

Richie

This happened to me once, the sender declared the actual price ($140) of a strap, which was above the tax-free limit and thus it attracted a customs charge. I think this sort of thing happens automatically if declared price is too high, or if it was not declared in the first place...

Damn, thats unlucky,

I had that problem once, ignore the letter if they open the package and take this one on the chin. The seller should resend one if they are a good dealer.

If you respond then consider your rep collecting days, (through the post) limited.

They will note your address if they open the package to see a rep, If they haven't opened it then your fine.Just send the money to them.

I just received a package from the US, declared value (couple of gen Rolex parts) was $185, I was charged £22, VAT + Royal Mail handling charges. When I went to pay I asked the guy if it was because of the value, he said no it's random, they literally select parcels as they pass on a conveyor belt and check if they are chargeable. If so you get a bill.

The last parcel I received from the same place which actually had a higher value (and being a commercial organisation they declare actual value, no messing here) came through without charge, so it's luck of the draw.