When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Vs Rep Sweeping

Bluray

How does the rep seconds hand on the classic sub look versus the gen? I have not seen a gen in person but it would be cool if anyone by the rarest chance had or knows where you can see a clip of this. Or perhaps just enlighten me on it. On the gen is it a "true" sweep without even the slightest close up view of a stutter?

How does the rep seconds hand on the classic sub look versus the gen? I have not seen a gen in person but it would be cool if anyone by the rarest chance had or knows where you can see a clip of this. Or perhaps just enlighten me on it. On the gen is it a "true" sweep without even the slightest close up view of a stutter?

No, the gen "stutters" a bit too. The bph is the same with Rolex calibres and ETA (28.800). How could be there any difference? This is another ugly myth that raises its hand every now and then. Just like the mysterious "genuine Rolexes are heavy watches".

All in all: the standard ETA-powered rep sweep is exactly the same.

Yessir. It all comes down to the beat rate. For a Rolex 3135, you have a 28.800bph movement; ETA 2824-2 and 2836-2 are the same- 28.800bph. Visually, you won't see a difference here.

Now... If you're talking vintage, that's another story. Genuine rolex vintage calibers (1570 for example) beat at 19.800bph. In this case, the ETA 2824/36 calibers have too smooth of a 'sweep' (an incorrect term, but fitting for the explaination). For these jobs, I retrofit ETA 2846's, as the beat rate is 21.600bph; a bit faster still, but we're talking about 5 ticks/second vs. 5.5 ticks. I don't think anyone will notice that half tick is missing.

For these jobs, I retrofit ETA 2846's, as the beat rate is 21.600bph; a bit faster still, but we're talking about 5 ticks/second vs. 5.5 ticks. I don't think anyone will notice that half tick is missing.

man you'r really killing me ... pushing the art in the slightest detail ... keep up !!

i had read somethin about reps bein 4-5 ticks a second and gens bein 6-7 ticks which would i guess make it look smoother....

Most replicas tick at 28k, like the genuines. However, on some gens, the sweep is just smoother. It is smoother just because.

Better design on the Rollies? Better lube on the non-rollie 2836 gens? I don't know.

Most replicas tick at 28k, like the genuines. However, on some gens, the sweep is just smoother. It is smoother just because.

Better design on the Rollies? Better lube on the non-rollie 2836 gens? I don't know.

It's true. I've done the side by side test with an identical beat rate genuine Rollie and the sweep is smoother. I guess you can have identical horsepower V-8 engines but the Northstar is going to run smoother than the Hemi.

Seiko's Spring Drive : 32,768 ticks per seconds !

This is the frequency of the crystal oscillator that controls the second hand... the glide wheel makes 28.800 turns an hour.

SO I've been wondering: why don't rep makers produce quartz with sweeping second hands?

Is there a technical issue (shouldn't be I guess)?

A rep is mainly about outside appearance, so having such a quartz would solve the reliability & time keeping issues while allowing accuracy with the genuine...

Just a thought.

Hey now, a little respect for the elderly please?! My 6536, though indeed jerky, is almost 5 decades old.

All things considered, it's smoother than *I* am in most regards. ;)

I respect my elders :lol:

With regards to vintage beauties such as your 6536, the slow beat is the charm of such a watch. I love the staggered sweep of the low beat calibers. One of the reasons why I retrofit the 2846 into my MBW vintage watches :)

The herky jerky I'm talking about are the poorly finished movements, like the first round of mod 7750's in the first Daytonas with seconds @ 6:00. Not only were these of slow beat (21.600), they were also not finished very well with regards to the added gears. The seconds hand looked as though it had a few too many whisky sours on a watch that should have been sweeping smooth and steady.

SO I've been wondering: why don't rep makers produce quartz with sweeping second hands?

Quartz with sweeping hands will consume much more battery power. This issue prevents watch maker produces it.

Seiko's Spring Drive : 32,768 ticks per seconds !

This is the frequency of the crystal oscillator that controls the second hand... the glide wheel makes 28.800 turns an hour.

A rep is mainly about outside appearance, so having such a quartz would solve the reliability & time keeping issues while allowing accuracy with the genuine...

Just a thought.

This has been discussed a few time around

moding the main engine of a quartz movement is not somthing u can really do, and rep maker have to put available movement on there watch, wich are designed for the "normal" market .

If reping is not a matter such a quartz movement would be non sense.

Quartz movement are totaly frozen until they beat (timming based on quartz osillation)

Since it would have to get electrical impulse 5 to 7 time a second battery would last 2-3 month ..

No engenier is going to design such a movement for a normal watch

Name the genuine Quartz watches with sweeping hands. There's your answer.

ps. a Spring Drive doesn't count. It's a $3000 precision movement from a company that sells decent Automatic movements for less than ETA.

ps. a Spring Drive doesn't count. It's a $3000 precision movement from a company that sells decent Automatic movements for less than ETA.

:clap:

PS. Is this an inopportune moment to point out that Omega's award winning Co-Axial Calibre 2500C had to be slowed from the prototype's 28,800 to 25,200?! They claimed it was to improve the power reserve, but some cynics say it was to improve the co-axial escapement's questionable reliability.

Edited by r11co