When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New DSSD Version ~ Perfect Clones

DSSD Latest Version Released ~ Perfect Clones

dssdreview005.jpg

dssdreview110.jpg

The most recent release of the DSSD by Perfect Clones ...

I will start by stating that this review in no way reflects my stand with other dealers or members that have done previous reviews.. which are all great and give us as a Community more options. There have been many versions of this rep. and the latest releases have all been improvements over the initial release..

this is just a look at another DSSD..

I hope you enjoy this pictorial, hopefully it will add to your choice :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I will not compare this to other makers in this review .. we all have dealers that we feel comfortable with .. so good luck in your choices of reps..

I'm going to start with a comparison of metals.. as a lot of members are wondering if the 316F is just a marketing gimmick and has no bearing on the actual aesthetics and function of the rep.. it does !! as you can view with the older 316L and the new 316F in the newest DSSD... more sheen, more resilient too..not as soft as the 316L

Notice the difference.. same angle to reflect as much light as possible.. I even tried to manipulate the 316L to catch the most light.. it didn't help..

dssdreview115.jpg

I traded places with the 316L just to illustrate that one is not getting more light than the other..notice the darker duller metal as the 316L

dssdreview124.jpg

Starting with the case back

dssdreview015.jpg

dssdreview014.jpg

Corrected 2 piece casing; double gasket inner case and cover

dssdreview013.jpg

dssdreview017.jpg

Movement ~ the Asain 3135 clone of the Rolex will not fool anyone that has knowledge of the gen. if it keeps good time and is not problematic.. I'm good.. it does feel very good through the crown .. not like the previous Asian clones..it feels well made ..imo..

dssdreview022.jpg

dssdreview018.jpg

dssdreview020.jpg

Much was made some time back about the finish of the dial.. is it glossy? is it matte? .. the genuine is both actually depending on the lighting.. this pic was taken in strong studio lighting.. it appears matte.. but notice the gloss look by the date window,.. and with the coke bottle sapphire and no AR you will see both glossy and matte at times

this is one of the profile of this dial that I really like

dssdreview072.jpg

The one issue that made me put this one back in the box and wait a good number of months .. close to a year now I believe was the date window.. a sandwich date window like the genuine..

Done,.. a 2 piece sandwich dial.. or at least it appears to be... the gen, is a bit deeper but this is a vast improvement over the previous versions

dssdreview029.jpg

dssdreview033.jpg

The Rehaut.. very well done .. I believe the right height and the etching is not easily visible.. actually rather hard to capture in pics.. as the genuine.. it is not easy to pick up.. it disappears at different angles..

dssdreview064.jpg

The R is aligned it appears not to be due to the angle of the camera.. I could not get it to be visible straight on

dssdreview066.jpg

The 6

dssdreview071.jpg

A pic of the genuine borrowed from a genuine fora.. if this is someone you know thank him.. :lol:

A few things to note in this pic of the gen.

the recess of the He valve.. the colour of the Arabic Numerals, and the ticks on the insert and the SEL's

0267g.jpg

The color now is like the gen.. although the "10" spacing is still incorrect..I'll take that over the color though

dssdreview042.jpg

the previous version color .. too dark

dssdreview044.jpg

Pearl.. neat.. it could use a bit more clear coat.. but this makes it less likely for the clear coat to be damaged

dssdreview037.jpg

the insert is nicely space with the bezel not like past versions where if was tight or almost overriding the bezel

dssdreview085.jpg

The He valve.. could be a little more recessed, it is an improvement though.. I'm sure that can be fixed if one desired.

dssdreview101.jpg

incorrect 10 spacing..

dssdreview039.jpg

Again I will refer to the genuine article.. notice the SEL's they are not flush-tight with the lugs.. not even the genuine are a perfect fit

00214e.jpg

the SELS are replicated correctly

dssdreview097.jpg

the gen

0295.jpg

the rep

dssdreview058.jpg

Like past versions the rep crystal is a little low.. not very noticeable though

Edit Add: .. going over the V3 crystal it appears lower due to the shape of the insert.. this newer version has a flatter insert raising the crystal to the correct height..

dssdreview057.jpg

The Profile crown/cg

dssdreview055.jpg

dssdreview061.jpg

dssdreview103.jpg

How it wears

This bracelet is an improvement over the last one.. the balance is done nicely and the ratcheting is first rate.. it also wears well on a Zulu strap.. imo the bulkiness of the DSSD is offset by the bracelet..

dssdreview091.jpg

Some parting shots

The sheen even in low light is incredible now with the 316F steel

dssdreview075.jpg

dssdreview074.jpg

Thank you for viewing B)

AC/Lani

I'm merging the other parts of this review together.. it will be a lengthy..

Glide Lock Clasp

To start the review of the glide lock clasp I would be re-missed if I did not mention the original ratcheting clasp belong to DOXA.. it was a novel idea (as stated in Doxa History) to create a clasp that wanted to create "easy use" of the Doxa dive watch by making it easy to adapt to the diameter of the wrist with or without a wet suit.

As if any of you have worn a long sleeve wet suit can attest to .. you cannot put on a divers watch that is sized to your wrist over your suit.

this is the Doxa "Flex buckle" clasp

in a closed position

glidelock010.jpg

Fully opened

glidelock009.jpg

the inside view fully extended

glidelock001.jpg

.. you could slip on the watch fully extended and simply slide the extension through the ratchets, and fasten the clasp.. easy

glidelock011.jpg

So you know a very long time ago Doxa engineered the "Flex Bracelet", as they referred to it. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

But now to the DSSD "Glide Lock" clasp.. very similar in design, in that a ratcheting system was used .. but a bit more heavily armoured than the Doxa..

I'll start off by emphasizing the the length of the clasp not only for the functioning of the glide lock but as a stable balance to the weight and bulk of the watch.. again proving this to be a tool watch and not one so much for aesthetics.

See how it covers practically my whole wrist.. a good base for the DSSD's bulk... without the base the watch would flop around on top of your wrist

glidelock051.jpg

In relationship to the rest of the bracelet a good part of the bracelet is the clasp

glidelock016.jpg

So let's get to how this beast works

open the safety lock and click up the lever and you release the extension from the locking mechanism

and slide the extension out of the clasp, it is fully extended in this pic.

glidelock053.jpg

glidelock017.jpg

A side view of the released ratcheting system, each ratchet represents one click of adjustment..

Or to be more exact roughly 2mm per click, give or take a hundredth of a mm .. or about 8 working clicks..

glidelock021.jpg

open lever.. unlike the Doxa clasp the glide Lock needs to be adjusted before depressing the lever, thus locking it..

glidelock031.jpg

glidelock024.jpg

An inside view of the fully closed position, quite a bit more engineering in the clasp than meets the eye.

glidelock030.jpg

close up of the ratchets

glidelock028.jpg

In the fully open position on the wrist

I take it on and off with the extension in the close position.. but on some day's where my wrist are bigger.. after the gym.. high sodium food day's this extension comes in handy.. it's very easy to take the DSSD off, as well as put on

glidelock052.jpg

glidelock055.jpg

a view of the lettering of the clasp

glidelock037.jpg

glidelock039.jpg

glidelock044.jpg

The entire mechanism on the Ultimate is very well made.. warning the DSSD V3 glide lock failed in it's attempt..

actually the V1 is the best out of previous versions, before the "Ultimate"

But the ultimate DSSD is very well done no sharp edges and performs well

glidelock046.jpg

glidelock047.jpg

glidelock056.jpg

One final note on the clasp .. you may think it would be bulbous in it's girth.. not really,..it's nicely compact for such a beast

glidelock058.jpg

glidelock057.jpg

AC/Lani

dssdreview074.jpg

The V-3 crystal height was rather flat compared to the gen DSSD.. it was due in part with the insert riding to high and the crystal itself being rather flat..

the New DSSD by Perfect Clones seems to have addressed both issues.

It was difficult capturing the outline of the domed sapphire on the new version.. it is rather translucent (obviously) and challenging to get perfect.. so I had to take it at times at a little bit of an angle.. but I think the outline is captured so you can make out the shape..

anyway.. some pics for crystal height..

You can make out the lip of the crystal in the New Version DSSD in the backgound and look to the reflection on the crystal for curvature.

dssdreview169.jpg

at this angle you can see the curvature and apex of the crystal a little better than horizontally.. where the apex of the crystal distorts, with light bouncing around on the inside of the crystal.

dssdreview157.jpg

The best shot I could get of the genuine.. again borrowed from a gen. forum.. thank you gen forum and owner of this pic.

You can make out the shape, though not the best image, but enough to give you an idea of the slight dome in the crystal.

0295.jpg

This is the most I can go on the New DSSD without loosing the shape in the image

dssdreview166.jpg

But you can see how flat the V3 crystal is.. almost no dome

dssdreview160.jpg

Notice the reflection in the crystal that looks like steps.. progressing as the dome increases.

dssdreview156.jpg

the newest DSSD version is definitely a domed crystal..

dssdreview171.jpg

More on the 316F Steel

IMO.. the closest to the genuine Rolex steel has been produced in the 316F steel..

Within the 300 ss grade there are multiple grades of the, 302,..304 and the 316's (this being the strongest and best in resisting corrosion).. all have a certain amount of Chromium in them and nickel, iron being the main component.. the chromium added to iron along with other metals give iron it "Stainless Steel" name,.. "resistant" to corrosion with more strength and less weight

with the 316L steel my wrists turns a little blackish.. even with the 914 steel in the gen. Rolex, maybe due to the nickel in the metal.. dunno.. and I haven't worn the DSSD long enough in the day to see if this is the case with the 316F also..

It is the "finish" that gives any metal it's final "look", the genuine Rolex is no exception.. very fine brushed "satin" finish.. lends to more sheen than the coarser brushed finish

IMO the new DSSD I have from Perfect clones comes the closest to the genuine Rolex steel in aesthetics... the genuine Rolex must have a good amount of chromium in it, my statement comes from the fact that when I take a capecod cloth to it the cloth does not turn as soot black as the 316L steel does.. making me think there is more nickel in the 316L than chromium.. ergo the reason the steel is darker and oxidizes faster.

The black soot like residue forms on the cape code or polishing rag when you use a metal polish due to the oxidation being removed from the metal.

I took a little piece of capecod to the DSSD 316F and found much, much less oxidation or nickel (or whatever alloy it is) on the cloth..

Regardless of my thought's here are some pics of the DSSD 316F next to my gen. Rolex Explorer

First here is the old 316L DSSD next to the gen. .. dull, dark and no sheen in comparison to the genuine

dssdreview138.jpg

Perfect Clones new DSSD 316F steel next to the gen... focus viewing the links on the bracelet that are lite up ..

dssdreview134.jpg

Not the same height in the pics.. but you get the point

dssdreview137.jpg

I tried to get the watches exactly in the same location for the next 2 images.. I had to do them obviously separate form each other. I could not get the different sized links to be placed exactly the same.. but close enough.

Gen.

dssdreview130.jpg

dssdreview131.jpg

so, ..imo the makers nailed this one.. and I will repeat it has to do with the finish just as much as the metal itself.. I will have to refinish my Milgauss in order for it to have a more satin finish.. it is on the coarse side.. just gotta get to my cousins jewelry shop to borrow his satin finishing wheels .. and the Milgauss bracelet will be as good as the DSSD.

Ok so we've compared basically the 316 steel to my gen. Explorer .. mainly the bracelets.. I took images of the case sets of my new DSSD from Perfect Clones and compared it with my gens.

As state before .. whatever metal is in the rep. case set and bracelet ..IMO.. it "visually".. looks great in comparison to the color and texture of the genuine Rolex steel.. if you were to take it side by side into a test for depth .. no doubt the rep will not hold up.. as was done on a professional test by a member a couple of years ago.. that's why Rolex' claim to have conquered the Sea, stands tall..we won't get into Doxa.. :whistling: ..having been the "first" with an He valve..

anyway I digress .. here are some images in an assortment of lighting.

This first image has the most light from left to right.. the Exp.(gen) getting the most light and the GMTII(gen) getting the least with the DSSD in the middle as far as light and ceiling reflection

dssdreview141.jpg

this was taken under a little more controlled lighting with a studio lamp.

dssdreview144h.jpg

Max natural lighting with optimum exposure

dssdreview143.jpg

Lower natural light with less exposure

dssdreview146.jpg

the metal on the Exp. has been refinished, but a example of the quality of Rolex Steel.. from the 70's

dssdreview148.jpg

strange set up .. just for visual effect to get them as close together as possible

dssdreview150.jpg

dssdreview152.jpg

dssdreview154.jpg

The 316f steel looks like a winner in the case set also.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

dssdreview003.jpg

AC/Lani

Looks very nice, Lani. This factory finally got the case back correct and the pearl doesn't look like some mutant growth! I think this, with a V5 insert, would be about as close as anything could get at this point in time!

Talking into account the new date window.. the refined rehaut the correct color of the insert .. I am really impressed with the 316f steel in this one.. even under low lighting it holds a brighter sheen than the 316L ever did..it's not just shiny; it's color is lighter, holding a more fluid sheen in the light... it really adds tons to the piece.

It really is starting to look like my genuine 914 steel, when I hold them together.. gotta do side by side with some gen Rolex', to compare the steel :)

I imagine taking a cape cod to this now will only brighten it more so..

AC/L

Great pics Lani!!!! I had an order in on a "Super" Sea Dweller Swiss from my dealer.... Now, because of the new 316F steel I ordered the one with the 3135 clone movement just because of the steel used :) Maybe I can change it to the swiss movment later? Or is the clone too different to make the swap?

Anyways.. Thanks Lani :D

Guest techlogik

Wow...very nice review. I have hesistated with Josh lately because the last two watches I got from him had some QC crap issues...that turned me off to drop shipping.

Looks like you got a good one...source a Eurotimez V5 bezel insert with proper spacing at the 10, swap it...that will be a gem.

I am waiting for another one from T4Direct..they had a one off batch made using the 3135 movement, correct case back etc...I think it is probably the same one Josh sources. Didn't say anything about the steel used though. I post up pics when I get it.

Great photos and writeup.

Thank you All!!

and it's NOT even polished. How does polished L compare to unpolished F Lani?

the sheen coupled with the lighter color of the metal is brighter than the older 316L (polished), the properties of the 310F are different.. a lighter color ss metal.. even putting it next to my polished 316L's no comparison.. the color is much better in the 316F.

the DSSD is also brushed with a finer wheel than other reps.. this really adds to the sheen ..compared to one that is coarsely done

I hope the makers use this as a standard for all other brushed finishes.

AC/Lani

Excellent review, Lani, thanks for taking the time :)

The steel improvement is great. I'm pleased to see that the factories are taking into account what is said on places like here! I'm sill seriously tempted by this - I'm just put off by wanting to wait for the next upgraded version... :D LoL

Excellent review, Lani, thanks for taking the time :)

The steel improvement is great. I'm pleased to see that the factories are taking into account what is said on places like here! I'm sill seriously tempted by this - I'm just put off by wanting to wait for the next upgraded version... :D LoL

never ending No ???? :lol:

agree... more versions than the Rocky movies :lol:

yes.. the steel is a huge plus for the reps coming out now..

AC

L

Hi

That watch is fantastic, a brilliant review. Can you point a noob in the right direction!! I am trying to find dealers in UK or EU that offer good quality reps. I have looked on the dealer section but it is difficult to find UK websites! I may be daft but give us a hand.

Thanks

Snap