When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Buying a watch with guaranteed ETA movement

Should I buy a wath with ETA or with ETA clone movement? This a important question in the rep world.

This is a history of a watch sent to me to be repaired. A deepsea Rolex, the watch does not run.

The watch is new and guaranteed to have a gen ETA movement. After opening the caseback:

img3482.jpg

There is a Rolex sticker stopping the balance wheel. The sticker was on the rotor. A better picture:

img3485f.jpg

However, when we have a look to the portion of the rotor hidden by the sticker:

img3487r.jpg

Clearly, this movement comes from a Enicar watch. http://www.enicar.com/main_eng.htm

After cheking the movement, it is pretty sure is a gen ETA 2834-2:

Good text and good ETA logo:

img3489l.jpg

Reversing wheels with many holes:

img3488.jpg

Unfortunatly, the movement in the timegrapher shows a not good running... very dissapointing... and there is some extrange behaviour in the winding system.

Some thoughts:

* The owner paid for gen ETA and he received a gen ETA. However, a recycled ETA. Buyer payed $85 to recieve a gen ETA, instead of a clon ETA.

* How old is this movement? It was revised and serviced?

* If you buy clone, you receive clon. If you buy ETA, you can recieve a clon... or a ETA, but for $85... this is what you can expect.

Just take it into account...

Regards,

Francisco

Edited by Francisco

Good information to remind everyone that ETA most times means = "used old movement in unknown condition, probably needing full servicing to make it run right before you can wear the watch..."

They are great movements, and spares are easy to get, but like anything mechanical, if not clean, oiled and correctly adjusted, they just don't run.

All the ETA's except for the factory sealed ones, are recycled, even the ones from Ofrei, Jules Borel, and Cousins UK. Once in a while you get one in perfect condition, but that is not very often.

It depends on your version of "sealed".

What I mean by a sealed ETA is a ETA factory sealed one in a special foil type packaging with inert gas in the packaging. These are the only ETA's that can be considered as serviced as delivered and not needing any work before installation.

Many surplus movements are "sealed" by the distributor, but that is not the same as the ETA sealing process.

Thx for your info!

That's why I decided to quit the shxt hobbies....thumbdown.gif

No more for me. No more repairing, No more Lies, No more shipping back & forth..........

I made up my mind since I price high price to MBW & got a clone 2824-2..........

Best Regards,

Raymond

It depends on your version of "sealed".

What I mean by a sealed ETA is a ETA factory sealed one in a special foil type packaging with inert gas in the packaging. These are the only ETA's that can be considered as serviced as delivered and not needing any work before installation.

Many surplus movements are "sealed" by the distributor, but that is not the same as the ETA sealing process.

i just amused that all eta movements bought from Ofrei etc where factory sealed in foil type packaging.

thanks for the information guys

Thanks so much for this info, Francisco. You are a true asset to the forum with your generous sharing.

I'm thinking of getting a DateJust II from Joshua, it is offered with 3 movement options, the swiss ETA 2836 (which I'm ruling out thanks to you), the asian clone ETA, and the least expensive 2816 21j movement.

Which movement would the experts recommend?

Thanks so much for this info, Francisco. You are a true asset to the forum with your generous sharing.

I'm thinking of getting a DateJust II from Joshua, it is offered with 3 movement options, the swiss ETA 2836 (which I'm ruling out thanks to you), the asian clone ETA, and the least expensive 2816 21j movement.

Which movement would the experts recommend?

Clone ETA... spares from ETA are available and useful....

Here an example:

Regards,

Francisco

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...