When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai PAM243I Review

unregistered

Another one of my reviews...yes, its getting almost boring now :)

IMG_2370.jpg

This time its on a PAM 243 that all of you have been talking up so much. This puppy ain't for me but for a friend, which I'm going to borrow and work on for a little bit before handing over. I have never been much of a fan of the submersible range, except for the PAM187, but that is just too damn chunky for normal usage.

Anyhow, on to the review. If you've read any of mine, you should know how it goes, just follow the numbers for the flaws :)

Please note, this is a review on the watch available from PWC (great transaction btw and thanks Rob) and the cartel which should be the PAM 243I. There are differences within the 243 range that I'll elaborate further later on.

Front

243i_F.jpg

1) Bezel markers, all of them are oversized on the rep. Most obvious ones are the numbered markers.

2) Pearl is close, but too big. Gen has a larger lip around the edge

3) Subdial is glossy at certain angles on the rep. For the gen, most of the pics I've seen show it being matte. This may or may not be wrong as the camera can pick things up differently.

4) All the bezel markers are polished on the gen. Rep have them brushed.

243i_cyc.jpg

1) Obvious ring around the cyclops whereas the gen it almost blends in

2) Magnification is obviously off. There is some slight magnification but not as strong as the gen.

2.1) Datewheel. Font is too thin on the rep.

*Small note, this gen PAM243I is a little weird in that it's got an L Swiss Made L dial. T Swiss Made T dials were made for I and J series 243s. As such, my guess this is a re-dialed 243I.

Side-CG

243i_s.jpg

1) Height of the markers are 0.5mm too thick. The gen has them only just pushing up

2) Height of the crystal above the bezel. Again very very slightly above the bezel whereas the gen is almost flush.

3) Lug profile is incorrect on gen.

*Take note, gen pic is of a 243J which has the rollerball CG and quick change strap system. This differs from the 243I which did not have it, so our model here is correct.

Side-He

243i_s2.jpg

1) He font seems mildly different from gen, but not very noticeable.

Not many things wrong on this side, just the aforementioned lug profile

Back

243i_B.jpg

1) No engraved serial and series number

OP 6671 is correct for 243I. This changed to OP 6701 in the J & K series. All other engravings look accurate

Strap

466b313c.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg

The strap is the biggest letdown to be honest. Very bad rubber, texture and overall a huge tell for being reppy.

I've since put it on a nice distressed locco horse suede strap from Panatime with a spare thick SC skull buckle, much nicer.

wrist-1.jpg

So now that I've compared it all, what are my thoughts? Considering I am not a PAM Submersible fan, I must say this one actually grows on me. I actually like it and will probably order another one for myself.

Yes there are flaws, but like the brushed bezel markers are an easy fix for a modder. The CG is accurate, the pin is flat and polished (though mildly sunken, I'll push it back up), the lever is slightly loose, but not badly, the crown is thick and accurate. The bezel itself is mildly loose, but not badly so. Basically, it just exudes quality in my opinion. Everything fits well, and looks good on the wrist.

I've always never liked the Luminor case for the subs, somehow it just felt wrong on the wrist and I've tried my fair share of 24s and 25s. This however, feels rugged yet classy and I'll have no issues wearing this out over the weekend to the marina. And it aint a huge piece like the Fiddy or MM20 which forces people to stare, this is a little more subtle and I think the fiddy case suits the style very well.

Overall, an excellent rep, one that with a few mods would be amazingly accurate. For my own personal piece, it'll probably head off to Vacc for a Tritium style relume.

Hope you enjoyed this review

Adding size and lume comparison

Casesize & Lume

casesize_top.jpg

casesize_iso.jpg

Left to right: PAM243, PAM111E, PAM232I, MM20

Well as you can see, it "looks" smaller than a 111E. The biggest is obviously the MM20 there.

However, thickness wise, sorry I wasn't going to remove all my straps for this shot, you can sorta see that the thickess is the MM20, followed by 243, then 111, and lastly, the ever classy 232.

Lume

lume-1.jpg

Left to right: DSN 232 dial, Gen MM20, 243, Vacc 111

Quick and dirty shot, unlike what I used to do. On charging, its fairly decent I must say, but loses its glow much quicker compared to the others. For eg, I just charged them all, and the others are still glowing, the 243 is dull already.

Terrific review, even if you've got no Sub luv :) I'm just getting into them, just don't like the 47mm ones.

One thing though, you mention that the strap was a big let down, have you tried other rep straps of this type? I ask because I couldn't stand the older style rep rubber, but the new style that came with my manual wind 308 made me change my mind about rubber straps - it was form fitting, very comfortable, and just seemed "right". If you're saying the gen of this style is even better, I may just pick one up.

Hey Doc, which strap are you talking about?

00014028.jpg

I've got an ultimate 199 rubber rep strap on deployant (centre 2nd from left) and that is amazingly close to gen in texture and suppleness. The new style strap (on the right) I got on this 243 and the rubber quite plainly sucks. As in the texture and everything is off and its a dust magnet. I don't know if the makers have any like the other rep rubber I have which is pretty damn close to gen. BTW, all arn't mine, these are gen's on risti

But as you mentioned, between the two, yes I find the new style strap more form fitting though maybe not better looking, a little rugged. Depending on what you're doing.

To add a point that not all rubber straps are created equal

I got it off RSM who said it came from an Ultimate watch (guessing Ultimate 199) and I'd be hardpressed to see the difference between this and the OEM considering I've worn it a bunch of times and it aint a dust magnet, similar texture and suppleness

IMG_2383.jpg

IMG_2384.jpg

Edited by unregistered

Update with movement shot

With the caseback off, the movement is really quite pretty. Newer style 7750 w/ faux regulator.

243i_movement.jpg

Must note that the caseback gasket is pretty thick and decent, I greased it and tested it via the hot water beaker test and only places where air bubbled out were the crown guard and bezel as expected.

• 2 months later...

are there any news, that there will be a new improoved model of the 243? and are there different modells available or all the same??

cause i realy think that i cant resist long for this thing, it dosnt gos out of my mind anymore :D

i think the rep rubber sucks realy but no prob its without a bout better on leather anyways so, is there someone who sells his 243 :thumbsupsmileyanim:

thanks guys denz

Another one of my reviews...yes, its getting almost boring now :)

Hope you enjoyed this review

Hey UR. Boring?? No way man, these are quality threads. Takes alot of effort to compose one of these. So thanks for the efforts. Im holding up for a good sub rep........saw a gen the other day and drooled all over the counter :whistling:

Edited by OSRep

• 2 months later...

Absolutely great review. Thanks much for all your efforts. It is a great watch and the only one of the 44mm 1000's I have seen with a decent crown guard and crown. I must confess the bezel and markers are much further off than I would have guessed. The standard rep subs I have seen look better on that account. It is a great rep in any case and a wonderful review. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

243i_F.jpg

tot the gen on this pic is L SWISSMADE L below the 6 and

the rep T SWISS MADE T between the 6...

i find this is the big fault on the rep dial...

correct me if i am wrong cos i saw from the other site the GEN for T SWISSMADE T ARE BELOW THE 6...