When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Advice to Noob

dbrinch

You will be "safe" with pretty much anything Rolex based. I would recommend staying in the 40mm ~ 42mm case size range. You could probably also get away with the thinner Breitling's like the Navitimer. There are also 40mm Panerai's floating around.

Remember if you want to go bigger with the dial, try not to go thicker with the case.

Welcome on-board.

I would say...go with what you can carry comfortably. I have an average wrist...but love wearing watches that are 44mm and above. Right now am sporting my Hublot King Power...which is 48mm. The smallest watch I have is the UN MMD and DSSD...both 43mm.

Here's some different sizes for comparison

asststraps021.jpg

asststraps024.jpg

one of the perfect sizes for slimmer wrist 36mm.. mine is 7 to 7.5" depending

the Rolex Explorer.. no date window though

exploreriproject024.jpg

My wrist is not large I get by :lol:.. the IWC CD ..

cd06007.jpg

different sizes..

doublewristshots003.jpg

another pic of the Explorer

exploreriproject003.jpg

The other end of the spectrum 47mm fiddy (127)

fiddy021j.jpg

A must get and perfect for you 36mm .. super rep category.. Omega Railmaster.. the best reptilian rep strap too

omegarailmaster008.jpg

omegarailmaster006.jpg

the IWC Pilots are a nice size not too big and bulky

iwcspitfire008.jpg

Another super rep.. and a nice size for a chrono .. Omega Speedy's

speedys021.jpg

The vinatage military rolex line is a good size for you too.

tudorand5513068.jpg

Just for comparison. the HBB Black Magic.. bigger but you could pull it off

if you are self concious about the size.. you may change your mind.. but as

a good friend here say's to me..."it looks like a dinner plate on my wrist" :rofl:

I chuckle every time I think of him saying that.

dsc0006fi0.jpg

sorry for the over kill .. but once I get started.. hard to stop.. :Jumpy:

Soooo many watches ... and only 2 wrists.. gotta remember to take off at least one when I go out in public.. :lol:

Hope that helps...... don't be too worried about what others think.. I personally like seeing oversized watches on others.. looks cool.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

AC/Lani

No worries.. let me know if there is a particular watch you would like for size comparison..

the Omega railmaster is a must get though....imo.. weather your wrist is 6.5 or 7.5 or larger.. it is a great rep. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

my Explorer is on a trip to swap dials and crystal .. I can't wait to get it back.. :)

AC/Lani

Welcome to RWG. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Just remeber to start off small, say 40mm like RoninQ said. Looking at pictures can be helpful but you wont know how It looks or feels until It's on your wrist. I thought a 42mm was big when I arrived here. Now I dont feel comfortable unless It's a 44mm or bigger. My sweet spot Is between 44mm-(Panerai- 48mm (breitling SA). Again like RoninQ pointed out, thickness will make a big difference how the watch looks and feels on your wrist. Again welcome to RWG :) Mike

Hey Lani, nice strap on the explorer. You just cost me money as I now know it needs a croc strap :)

What are you doing dial and crystal wise? I have a clarks here for mine, still tossing up wether to get an older style dial and change 'em.

Col.

Hey Col.

got a 1016 gilt dial with silver hands .. the gilt dial of the era was glossy.. and matched pics I dug up of the gen.

Clarks T22 swap... .. I still want a dark Honey Tan strap .. a little thicker and heavier than the one I have on their now.

I have one in mind that a collector here has access to.. it cost a pretty penny though..

R