When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Buying gens online

iceberg1459

Thanks for asking, it reveals again why we exist here... to prevent people getting scammed. We do that by spreading information.

Slick said it best, "Buy the dealer, then buy the watch."

thanks for all input =)

so i want to buy a gen black sub with rehaut engraving, is it best to buy new from AD?

i choose sub because it has such legendary status, the most popular, most sold and most faked luxury sports watch, thanks to its timeless design which changed only a little in years.

and also because of the wm9 v2 sub, its so close to te real sub i sometimes forget i wear a rep. i want to buy the real and use the rep as decoy for going nights out ;)

is it right time to buy? or should i wait for the new ceramic sub so the price of old sub goes down, or buy the new sub?! any advice would be cool

I second the "buy the seller then pick the watch" addage. It holds true with everything you buy, not just watches. You don't have to necressarily go to an AD for a Rolex, unless you want a new one with all the proper documentation and a dealer invoice in your name. If you are willing to buy a "Gently used one" there are lots of reputable fokks on the various watch forums that sell used Rolex Subs. You can go to WatchUseek,WatchNet or TimeZone to name just three. There are always good used late model subs for sale there.

Ask the seller for references,and then email the references to make sure they are legitimate. Scammers hit these forums every now and then, but they don't stay around long, as the members are very diligent about reporting any suspicious activity. also if a watch looks like it's not correct, someone is going to speak up and let everyone know about it. Watch net has a "Good Guys" section for dealer feedback. I have bought and sold lots of watches on these three forums and always had good luck with my deals.Another thing, make sure there is an ironclad return policy and that the seller understands that you are going to take the watch to a watchmaker and have it inspected. If he refuses, run away. Also I am a little leery of the sellers who insist on Money transfers, Western Union, etc. Although if it's a really high end watch, you may have a problem with Paypal, using a credit card. I know AmEx at one time had a 1000.00 USD limit on Paypal transactions. I have used bank wire transfers in the past, but it was always with a seller I had done business with or knew, or someone who had lots of very good references. I would probabl be more hesitant to send a wire transfer out of the country, as you have very limited recourse if the deal goes bad.

Just my Dos centavos

Arthur